2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 42 of 46)

Feb 032009

Prius

I am having problems with one of the hid headlights in my 2007 Toyota Prius. The headlight is supposed to last longer then standard halogen bulbs. But L;atey one of the headlights was not turning on and I had to turn off and on the headlights to get the headlights to turn on again. I have heard many complaints about the Toyota Prius hid bulbs in the 2004-2009 year and I would like a recall. I worry that even though I purchased the extended warranty, I as a consumer might be out 300-1200 because the bulbs are not covered under warranty. And I only have 50K miles on the car and its only 2 years old, and I owe 3 more years of payments on it.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Prius

Intermittent headlight, bulbs goes out, then relights when you turn the switch off, the back on. These are hid headlights.

- Weehawken, NJ, USA

Jul 102007

Prius

Drivers side xenon headlight intermittently fails while driving. Switching the headlights completely off and back on again restores functionality. Unsure of frequency of occurrence as its difficult to know if a headlight fails until driving in a very dark area (I.e no roadlights, other cars, etc). Seem to notice it occurring approximately twice per week.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Dec 222008

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. The left hid headlight fails approx. Every two-three weeks. I need to turn off the headlights and then turn on again which sometimes works to get the light working again.

- Calabasas, CA, USA

Oct 012007

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius, hid lights started going out at less than a year old. Dealer would not replace.

- Highland, CA, USA

Dec 132008

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. I am experiencing failure with the high intensity headlight system. While driving, the headlights will shut off unexpectedly. Sometimes, it's only one headlight (can occur on either the driver or passenger side), other times, it's both headlights. Being without proper headlights can cause dangerous driving conditions. I can turn the headlight switch off and back on and the headlights come on, although they may go off again. Before taking the vehicle to the dealer, I researched the problem and found that Toyota issued technical service bulletin T-sb-0030-08 describing the problem. When I took the vehicle to the dealer, the dealers service representative told me that the tsb did not apply and that the headlight bulbs needed to be replaced. After replacing the headlight bulbs (at my expense), the problem continued. Next, the dealer replaced the hid ECU and the problem continued. Finally, the dealer replaced the headlight connection and harness. The final corrective action is just what the tsb recommended. So, I'm out the cost of new headlight bulbs ($600) which I didn't need. In addition, each time I had to take the vehicle back to the dealer, I had to drive around with faulty headlights. I have found numerous complaints regarding the same failure and feel that the issue needs to be addressed by the manufacturer via a forced recall. The repairs are not covered under warranty and Toyota did not hold themselves responsible for the failure. Mileage at the time of the first failure was approximately 52,500 and the current mileage is 57,264.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Jan 262009

Prius

The passenger side headlight quits operating at random intervals. There is no consistent reason. If the headlights are turned off and then back on then the headlight comes on again. After a random amount of time (from a few minutes to hours) the light will go off again. The Toyota service people say have no fix for this problem. Replacing the headlamp does not seem to solve it.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Jan 262009

Prius

Headlights failing. Headlight will be out, but turn back on after shutting the headlights off/on again. I've had both headlights replaced, will see how long it takes for a failure to occur again. Toyota Prius with 40,000 miles.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 152007

Prius

I bought a new 2007 Prius and from the first 30 days of having the car I have had my headlight on the passenger side keep going out. I have taken it back to the dealer many times and they keep replacing the light bulb. I have been pulled over by the police 2 times because of it. They are now telling me that I will have to replace the light bulbs at $400 a shot because it is out of warranty. I will be driving at night and all of a sudden my light goes off. It isn't always the same side it goes back and forth. Since I have seen that many other Toyota Prius owners are having the same problem I know that something is not right and Toyota needs to stand behind fixing the problem. It is dangerous when you are driving down the highway at night and all of a sudden your lights don't work.

- Saint Albans, MO, USA

Oct 152008

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius, new, October 2006; no problems until Sept. 2008, approx. 26000, miles; headlight on passenger side intermittently goes out; comes back on later. I did not know that I could possibly make it work by turning off/on, as I recently found out on this site. The driver side headlight also has gone out a few times-unknown if they were both out at same time. Right side taillight also goes out occasionally. Unlike the headlight, I could make the taillight go back on by "banging" on it. After being stopped by police, both lights out on passenger side, I made appointment with dealer where purchased, then went on line to check for similar problems: Wow! 25 pages on this site, and 50+ pages on Toyota chat forum. Dealer indicated "no problem", less than 36,000 miles, still under warranty. I had repairs made today, all working fine at present. One big difference noticed: Headlights much brighter tonight than they were. I don't know how long it has been since they became dim, since it probably was gradual. I asked dealer, with all these reports of failure, how long is warranty on new bulbs, and was told 1 year. Dealer price for installing new bulbs: About $400 each; they can be purchased from dealer for the "low" sum of only $150 ea. I strongly feel that there is something major wrong with such a lighting system, as it is quite difficult to know when one light is not working, as they become dimmed. There should definitely be a recall to correct this problem. How many other owners have experienced this problem, and simply paid huge $$$ to have it taken care of, not knowing that it is apparently widespread?

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jan 152009

Prius

2007 Prius headlight goes out without warning. When the light switch is turned off and then back on the lights come back on. This has been a recurring issue with Prius, but Toyota does not acknowledge the problem. It has happened on my car 5 times in the past month that I am aware of.

- High Point, NC, USA

Oct 252008

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius. Drivers side headlamp malfunctions often. Driving at night is dangerous!!!!

- Havre De Grace, MD, USA

Oct 012008

Prius

1. driverside front head light shuts-off by itself when in the on mode, passenger side head light stays on. 2. occurs at random, there is only half amount of light being emitted from the headlights and this causes a dangerous driving condition. 3. brought car to dealer to have two tech's to see what the problem is only to be given the text book answer of the issue is "normal wear and tear". no repair was done at the dealership even though the vehicle was covered under warranty.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Dec 112008

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius, hid headlights go out intermittently, at first passenger side only, now passenger will go out and moments later both lights go out.

- Springville, CA, USA

Jan 122007

Prius

My vehicle is a 2007 Toyota Prius. The headlights have started to work intermittently. Makes it very dangerous at night. Replacement is very difficult and expensive, due to bad engineering/design. However, many owners report that even replacing does not always solve the problem, which seems to be a Toyota Prius -wide defect. For safety and consumer protection reasons, these should be recalled and repaired.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Dec 022008

Prius

In the last month the headlight on my 2007 touring Prius have had intermittent outages. One headlamp or the other might fail to come on, or stop working while driving. Every so often, both headlight stop working while driving. And once, in the fog, when I turned on my foglights, the headlights turned off. If I turn the headlights off, and back on, both lamps might work, or one or the other remain off... that this can happen while driving is a safety issue. Toyota service offered to change the failed headlamp at $400, but since I could not identify a particular lamp, would do but at double the cost, but could not guarantee that would fix it. And from the information on various Prius forums, changing the bulbs out will not solve this issue.

- Deer Park, CA, USA

Mar 032008

Prius

I have an intermittent headlight problem. This has caused me to be pulled over by the police for a faulty headlight. When I turn the power off and then on again, the headlight usually comes back on. This has happened every time we drive the car. Dealership says it's not a problem that Toyota or the dealership is responsible for because it isn't a consistent problem with this car.

- Fountain Inn, SC, USA

Oct 152008

Prius

The hid headlamps on my 2007 Toyota Prius will cut out sporadically while driving. Sometimes it is the left lamp and sometimes it is the right lamp. Fortunately both headlamps have not cut out at the same time (so far). Strangely, when this happens, if I turn the headlamp switch off and quickly turn it back on, the affected lamp will come back on - for a while- not always for the same length of time. If it happens repeatedly, the off and the on again switch action will work every time. The Toyota service people say that this behavior is typical of an hid lamp going bad and offered to replace them for $203+ per lamp. Upon reviewing many discussions on several internet forums such as priuschat.com is becomes clear that this problem has been widespread on Prius models with hid headlamps as far back as 2006, and no single fix has been identified for the problem. I therefore, have not replaced the headlamps since this does not, in and of itself, always cure the problem, and I didn't want to make the $400-$500 experiment that likely would not solve the problem. Since these hid lamps are touted as lasting as long as the car, it seems to me that this is not a normal wear and replacement situation. I first noticed this problem at around 30,000 to 35,000 miles- hardly approaching the car's lifetime. I consider this to be a significant safety issue and a major manufacturing flaw for which Toyota should be responsible for correcting at their expense.

- Export, PA, USA

Jan 062009

Prius

For the past 2 months my hid bulbs on my 2007 Toyota Prius have been flickering and shutting off of their own Accord. I researched online and found this is a very common problem w/ the 2007. Took the vehicle to the dealership and was told it wasn't covered. I have less thank 50K miles on my car and the hids are rated to last 150K. There is obviously a consistent problem that Toyota isn't acknowledging.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Sep 152008

Prius

Headlight on either side will go out while driving. This happens every day. I have to turn them off and back on to get both of them working again. The problem is that I don't always know when they have gone out. One time I noticed that both of them were out. I have found numerous complaints like mine on the internet. This is a very dangerous situation, especially during bad weather in the daylight hours. I have about 45,000 miles on the Prius. The dealer is going to check the problem again. Initially they didn't find anything, but they suspect it to be bad bulbs. They said the bulbs cost $300 not including the labor.

- Hamden, CT, USA