2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 43 of 46)

Dec 142008

Prius

1. hid headlights on 2007 Prius with less than 20K miles failed in pouring rain at night. 2. first passenger headlight went out. Next both headlights went out. 3. pulled over and turned off car. 4. turned car on again and both headlights went on. 5. passenger headlight went out again. 6. both headlights failed. All is a distance of about 5 miles.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Dec 012007

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The hid headlight bulbs became inoperative while driving less than 45 mph. The headlights illuminated intermittently. The dealer replaced the bulbs under warranty and stated that the failure should not persist. On a separate occasion, while driving 40 mph, the headlights failed again. The dealer stated that the bulbs needed to be replaced a second time in less than a year. The estimated repair cost would be $300 per bulb. The failure mileage was 25,000 and current mileage was 42,000. Updated 2/5/09 updated 02/10/09.

- Hawthorne Woods, IL, USA

Oct 012008

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. When I start driving and turn on the lights, after a short period of time, the lights dim out. When I turn off the light switch, the lights come on bright and dim out again and return to full brightness after I turn them off and on again. This pattern continues until after the car has run for a period of time.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 292008

Prius

I've been having issues with my right headlight going out intermittently. If I cycle the power the headlight usually comes back on. The dealer says there's nothing wrong. I've been pulled over once for an equipment violation already. Last night the headlight went out leaving me with limited visibility. As I rounded a corner I almost hit a deer standing on the shoulder as I couldn't see him/her due to the limited visibility.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Dec 282008

Prius

Both headlamps (individually and together) intermittently go out. Turning off the headlamps and turning them back on clears this problem temporarily. This is becoming more than an inconvenience, it is a serious safety issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 212008

Prius

I have had a 2007 Toyota Prius and bought it new. It now has 40K miles and hid lamps will go out when driving or idling. Sometimes both lights will go out at the same time. This is a safety concern. The lights will typically go back on if you turn off the switch and then turn it back to "on" I have read other Prius and Toyota owners in the Prius chat site with similar problems. Hid lamps should last longer than 2 years.

- Monroe, CT, USA

Dec 282008

Prius

Passenger side headlight goes out periodically and when lights are turned off and then back on, headlight works. I read about this problem on priuschat.com and so far there does not seem to be a fix for this. I was stopped tonight by a state trooper and when I turned the lights off, the headlight came back on.

- Montross, VA, USA

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius and the headlights keep going out intermittently. It's never both at the same time. When I notice it, I turn the light off and then turn them on again and both headlights are working again at least for a little while until one of the lights go off again. I will take it in to Toyota for repair because I would rather pay for it myself than get into an accident. Obviously this is a widespread problem and Toyota should put this out as a recall and take care of their responsibility. This is a safety issue.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Dec 202008

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. I have noticed on several occasions (sometimes other drivers point it out) that one of the headlights goes out. Then, at other times the other headlight goes out. Usually, when it happens, turning the lights off then back on correct the problem. However, this doesn't always work and usually it doesn't last very long. I took the car into our local Toyota dealership. Both headlights were working at the time. Toyota refused to do anything stating that in order for them to diagnose the problem I would have to bring it back when one or both of the lights fail. This is a known issue (a "bulletin" has been issued). I called Toyota corporate and they agreed with the policy. The problem is a safety hazard (the failures occur randomly. Also, I'm afraid that, like other complaints that I have read, I will be pulled over by the police and ticketed. In that event, if the headlights are working when I am able to drive to the dealership, Toyota will refuse to fix the design flaw and driving without your headlight at night is definitely a safety hazard. I don't know why this doesn't qualify as a recall. The car is still under warranty. Mileage is about 33,800.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Oct 122008

Prius

The headlamps on my vehicle is often dim and flickers sometimes. From October of 2008, driver side headlight turns on but won't stay lit. It can be fixed by turning light on again, but it turns off again almost all the time. I took to Toyota of North hollywood and eric in the service department told me I need bulbs and E.C.U.(headlight computer)needs to be replaced for $700. I'm searching for an alternative.

- Los Alamitos, CA, USA

Nov 182008

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlights keep going out. The lights will just cut off for no reason. If I notice this while driving I just turn the lights off and back on and the headlight comes back on.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Dec 162008

Prius

The right headlight was intermittently going out. Also, occasionally, both lights would go out. If I turned the light switch off and back on, the light(s) would come back on. I took the car to the dealer and they indicated that I needed new bulbs ($250 per bulb and $200 to change the bulbs). I had 49,000 miles on a car I purchased new in Aug 2007. Since the car is out of warranty (3yrs/36K miles), the dealer would not cover it. The dealer did "comp" one of the bulbs so it ended up costing me $400. Subsequently, I accessed the internet and found out that this is happening to a large number of Prius'. these are the hid bulbs. I am working with the Toyota customer relations on this issue.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Oct 202008

Prius

There were no particular events leading up to the intermittent failure of my drivers-side hid headlight. It is constantly turning off while driving (even at night) and will only turn on again if I turn off both headlights, and turn them back on. I am constantly required to do this while driving at night, and it is a severe safety risk.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Sep 112008

Prius

Headlights on 2007 Prius failed intermittently. They will work when the vehicle is first turned on but will sometimes turn off. I brought it in within 30,000 miles and had the entire headlight assembly replaced by the dealer and it seemed to resolve the issue for a while. However it is happening again to the other side at 42000 miles, these are hid headlights and have approximately 1000-1500 hours of use to them.

- New Hope, MN, USA

Mar 182008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at an unknown speed, the headlights failed. The dealer stated that they would not repair the vehicle under warranty, which would cost several hundred dollars to repair. The dealer banged on the headlights and they illuminated again. The contact was advised that if she banged on the headlights, they would function correctly. The failure was not due to the electrical system. In addition, the two brake lights also failed. She continued to drive the vehicle because the failure did not recur for some time. In November of 2008, while driving and entering the highway, the passenger side headlight dimmed again. Almost immediately, the contact was pulled over by the police and given a warning about the headlights. The dealer stated that they would inspect the failure and, if the banging worked, this would remedy the issue unless the contact chose to repair the issue at her own expense. She scheduled an appointment with the dealer, but had to cancel. In December of 2008, while driving with one headlight, the other headlight failed. As a result, neither headlights were illuminated. While reading other complaints on the issue, the contact noticed that one consumer stated that when the headlight switch was turned off and then on again, they worked properly. This remedy was successful in alleviating the contact's failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The current mileage was approximately 53,000 and failure mileage was approximately 40,000.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Dec 082008

Prius

Headlights turn off randomly. Sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes both. After reading online chat forums, many other people are having this same issue, spanning multiple years of the Prius. The dealer worked on my car yesterday and 'fixed it' but last night the problem came back.. it seems the dealer doesn't want to replace the $1,100 part that causes this issue, the hid circuit board. I have had this problem for about 3 months now, and since this is a safety issue, Toyota should be forced to recall these defective components. When you turn the lights off and then back on, the light will function again for a short period of time, and then go off again. The dealer suggested hitting the headlight, (not easy to do when you are on the highway) I am afraid to drive my car at night, with the potential to get pulled over by police, or have an accident due to lack of headlights.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 272008

Prius

My headlights go off intermittently. When I turn the lights off and on again, the problem goes away. (until the next time.) the dealer says I need to replace the hid headlamps at a cost of over $400. My extended warranty (from Toyota) will not cover this defect.

- Croton-On-Hudson, NY, USA

Sep 072008

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlamps go out intermittently. This is an ongoing problem. It occurs once every five or ten minutes. Turning the headlamps off and then on again resolves the issue for the next few minutes.

- Wayne, PA, USA

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius with 52000 miles. I have been experiencing issues with intermittent headlights on both sides simply turning off while driving. They are re-set by turning off the lights and then turning them back on. This is a very serious safety issue that apparently numerous Prius owners are experiencing. Toyota does not have an answer except paying $1100 for new bulbs that should last much longer. As I am becoming more educated about this issue, I have seen that many other people have this same issue with about the same response from Toyota. This issue needs to be addressed as a serious public safety issue and a serious manufacture defect. Can you please help us with this issue?

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Prius

Headlights dim or go out at random. Can turn switch off and back on and lights come back on. This happened first time about a year ago - had it repaired (under warranty), but now is happening again. I have an appointment to repair again. This is a real safety concern - I do a lot of night driving and headlights are not an option - they are a necessity.

- Spring Hill, TN, USA