2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 43 of 46)

Dec 282008

Prius

Passenger side headlight goes out periodically and when lights are turned off and then back on, headlight works. I read about this problem on priuschat.com and so far there does not seem to be a fix for this. I was stopped tonight by a state trooper and when I turned the lights off, the headlight came back on.

- Montross, VA, USA

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius and the headlights keep going out intermittently. It's never both at the same time. When I notice it, I turn the light off and then turn them on again and both headlights are working again at least for a little while until one of the lights go off again. I will take it in to Toyota for repair because I would rather pay for it myself than get into an accident. Obviously this is a widespread problem and Toyota should put this out as a recall and take care of their responsibility. This is a safety issue.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Dec 202008

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius. I have noticed on several occasions (sometimes other drivers point it out) that one of the headlights goes out. Then, at other times the other headlight goes out. Usually, when it happens, turning the lights off then back on correct the problem. However, this doesn't always work and usually it doesn't last very long. I took the car into our local Toyota dealership. Both headlights were working at the time. Toyota refused to do anything stating that in order for them to diagnose the problem I would have to bring it back when one or both of the lights fail. This is a known issue (a "bulletin" has been issued). I called Toyota corporate and they agreed with the policy. The problem is a safety hazard (the failures occur randomly. Also, I'm afraid that, like other complaints that I have read, I will be pulled over by the police and ticketed. In that event, if the headlights are working when I am able to drive to the dealership, Toyota will refuse to fix the design flaw and driving without your headlight at night is definitely a safety hazard. I don't know why this doesn't qualify as a recall. The car is still under warranty. Mileage is about 33,800.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Oct 122008

Prius

The headlamps on my vehicle is often dim and flickers sometimes. From October of 2008, driver side headlight turns on but won't stay lit. It can be fixed by turning light on again, but it turns off again almost all the time. I took to Toyota of North hollywood and eric in the service department told me I need bulbs and E.C.U.(headlight computer)needs to be replaced for $700. I'm searching for an alternative.

- Los Alamitos, CA, USA

Nov 182008

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlights keep going out. The lights will just cut off for no reason. If I notice this while driving I just turn the lights off and back on and the headlight comes back on.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Dec 162008

Prius

The right headlight was intermittently going out. Also, occasionally, both lights would go out. If I turned the light switch off and back on, the light(s) would come back on. I took the car to the dealer and they indicated that I needed new bulbs ($250 per bulb and $200 to change the bulbs). I had 49,000 miles on a car I purchased new in Aug 2007. Since the car is out of warranty (3yrs/36K miles), the dealer would not cover it. The dealer did "comp" one of the bulbs so it ended up costing me $400. Subsequently, I accessed the internet and found out that this is happening to a large number of Prius'. these are the hid bulbs. I am working with the Toyota customer relations on this issue.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Oct 202008

Prius

There were no particular events leading up to the intermittent failure of my drivers-side hid headlight. It is constantly turning off while driving (even at night) and will only turn on again if I turn off both headlights, and turn them back on. I am constantly required to do this while driving at night, and it is a severe safety risk.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Sep 112008

Prius

Headlights on 2007 Prius failed intermittently. They will work when the vehicle is first turned on but will sometimes turn off. I brought it in within 30,000 miles and had the entire headlight assembly replaced by the dealer and it seemed to resolve the issue for a while. However it is happening again to the other side at 42000 miles, these are hid headlights and have approximately 1000-1500 hours of use to them.

- New Hope, MN, USA

Mar 182008

Prius

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving at an unknown speed, the headlights failed. The dealer stated that they would not repair the vehicle under warranty, which would cost several hundred dollars to repair. The dealer banged on the headlights and they illuminated again. The contact was advised that if she banged on the headlights, they would function correctly. The failure was not due to the electrical system. In addition, the two brake lights also failed. She continued to drive the vehicle because the failure did not recur for some time. In November of 2008, while driving and entering the highway, the passenger side headlight dimmed again. Almost immediately, the contact was pulled over by the police and given a warning about the headlights. The dealer stated that they would inspect the failure and, if the banging worked, this would remedy the issue unless the contact chose to repair the issue at her own expense. She scheduled an appointment with the dealer, but had to cancel. In December of 2008, while driving with one headlight, the other headlight failed. As a result, neither headlights were illuminated. While reading other complaints on the issue, the contact noticed that one consumer stated that when the headlight switch was turned off and then on again, they worked properly. This remedy was successful in alleviating the contact's failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The current mileage was approximately 53,000 and failure mileage was approximately 40,000.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Dec 082008

Prius

Headlights turn off randomly. Sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes both. After reading online chat forums, many other people are having this same issue, spanning multiple years of the Prius. The dealer worked on my car yesterday and 'fixed it' but last night the problem came back.. it seems the dealer doesn't want to replace the $1,100 part that causes this issue, the hid circuit board. I have had this problem for about 3 months now, and since this is a safety issue, Toyota should be forced to recall these defective components. When you turn the lights off and then back on, the light will function again for a short period of time, and then go off again. The dealer suggested hitting the headlight, (not easy to do when you are on the highway) I am afraid to drive my car at night, with the potential to get pulled over by police, or have an accident due to lack of headlights.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 272008

Prius

My headlights go off intermittently. When I turn the lights off and on again, the problem goes away. (until the next time.) the dealer says I need to replace the hid headlamps at a cost of over $400. My extended warranty (from Toyota) will not cover this defect.

- Croton-On-Hudson, NY, USA

Sep 072008

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius headlamps go out intermittently. This is an ongoing problem. It occurs once every five or ten minutes. Turning the headlamps off and then on again resolves the issue for the next few minutes.

- Wayne, PA, USA

Prius

I own a 2007 Toyota Prius with 52000 miles. I have been experiencing issues with intermittent headlights on both sides simply turning off while driving. They are re-set by turning off the lights and then turning them back on. This is a very serious safety issue that apparently numerous Prius owners are experiencing. Toyota does not have an answer except paying $1100 for new bulbs that should last much longer. As I am becoming more educated about this issue, I have seen that many other people have this same issue with about the same response from Toyota. This issue needs to be addressed as a serious public safety issue and a serious manufacture defect. Can you please help us with this issue?

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Prius

Headlights dim or go out at random. Can turn switch off and back on and lights come back on. This happened first time about a year ago - had it repaired (under warranty), but now is happening again. I have an appointment to repair again. This is a real safety concern - I do a lot of night driving and headlights are not an option - they are a necessity.

- Spring Hill, TN, USA

Nov 182008

Prius

Driver side head light goes out intermittently. Turn lights off and back on and the light works.

- Tifton, GA, USA

Prius

2007 Prius hid headlights go of and on randomly.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 152008

Prius

While driving, one of the exterior high intensity headlamps would fail with no indication (no yellow bulb failure indicator) of failure. Turning off the light switch and turning it back on would relight the headlight. This would happen with either the left or the right headlight but not both. The old bulbs were replaced under warranty and the problem has not yet recurred.

- Washington, DC, USA

Prius

I've got a Toyota Prius 2007 with hid headlights. Left headlight keeps going out. I can't really tell when or how it goes out since I can't see it. I'll notice it when I see the reflection in the back of another car. If I turn the bright lights on and off it has no effect, but when I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't. it is not an event I can make happen.

- Ridgewood, NJ, USA

Prius

I have a 07 Toyota Prius drivers side hid headlamp flickers on and off. Recently went out completely. Now the passenger side lamp is going on/off. I recently read online that Prius customers of 2005- 2009 vehicles have the same problems. I commute 137 miles round trip everyday. There needs to be a recall before some one is injured.

- Linden, VA, USA

Oct 242008

Prius

Started noticing my passenger side head light going out sporadically. Just as the others, by turning them off, then on, the lights come back on. Was actually stopped by a va state trooper, who advised his father-in-law had the same problem & that this was a manufacturer error. So, I took this issue to my dealer due to having an extended warranty. They called my warranty company before starting work to fix this $500 issue (which, all they did was replace the bulb). It then started occurring on my driver side. When I took it in to have this fixed / looked at, was advised the warranty company had denied the charge with the dealer & the dealer had comp'd the charge as a courtesy. Based on these reports, I just called the dealer to advise them of these issues & am hoping for a resolution to this issue.

- Luray, VA, USA