2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 6 of 45)

Jun 152014

Prius 4-cyl

I have been told a few times over the last couple of months now that we had a headlight out in our Prius. I would later go back and investigate, flipping the lights back on to check. But the lights were on full blast, no problems. I dismissed this as people not seeing things correctly. Obviously the headlights were working, that it until we got on the interstate last night and both of the headlights went out while we were driving 70mph. We managed to get home by the dim light of our fog lights, but this is very dangerous! fog lights were not meant for nighttime driving. When we got home, we started playing with the headlights again, and like magic, they decided they were going to start working again. They turned on full blast, no flickering or anything. Looking up our issues today, apparently this is an issue with the hid headlights and is a common known problem for the Prius. People have paid hundreds or even thousands of dollars to have their headlights replaced only to have the same thing happen again. Seems like the guts of this car are flawed and need to be repaired. Presently I'm stuck. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars to replace headlights that really don't need replacing when people are saying it does not good. Toyota really need to address this. Can't have headlights going out when you're going 70 on the interstate. Someone is going to get killed from this.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 072014

Prius 4-cyl

Within approx. 5 minutes of starting my car with the headlights they automatically turn off. You are able to keep clicking them back on, but then they turn off again. Thus making it impossible to drive at night, for fear of causing an accident. Huge safety factor.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 082008

Prius 4-cyl

The driver side headlight randomly goes out. One time both headlights went out. When I take it to my mechanic, he can't ever make it happen. If I turn the lights off and turn them back on, the light comes back on. It happens regularly, and continues to this day.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 172013

Prius 4-cyl

I have a 2007 touring Prius with hid headlamps and 1 of the headlamp assembly started leaking water and Toyota of kingsport, tn. Replaced it on Oct. 28th 2013 and charged me $342.30 after discount. Now the new headlight and the other one is going off while driving and this happened on May 29th 2014. There is no way a headlight should fail in 6 or 7 months. Thank you for listening to my complaint, as I can't afford to keep replacing these very expensive headlamps. I went online and it seems I'm not the only one with this problem and can you get Toyota to do something about this? I would appreciate any help you can give us Prius owners with the hid headlamp system.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

May 032014

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving at 5:00 am on 5-3-14 to the beach and my headlights went out in complete darkness. Luckily there was no other traffic around and I was scared to proceed on my trip. I turned the headlight switch and the headlights came back on. I proceeded on my trip with caution and when it got light I drove without my headlights and safely got to the beach. This incident could have resulted in a bad car accident and death since I was in complete darkness. What should I do ?

- Warrenton, NC, USA

Apr 022014

Prius 4-cyl

Driving along interstate 70 at night, headlight intensity suddenly dropped. Stopped in a safe place on the next exit ramp and determined that both high beam and low beam of the left headlight had gone out. Resumed the rest of the trip at a safer speed. Next morning, tested the headlights and they all worked ok, but later in the week the same thing happened.

- Glenn Dale, MD, USA

Apr 032014

I was returning home from a trip with a friend and driving on major freeway late at night, very dark with little visibility in a rural, unlit area..all lights in vehicle shut down while driving 70-75 mph. We could not see anything even the road, was like driving blind and very frightening trying to navigate the Prius off the road safely without getting hit by other vehicles. Once I stopped the vehicle off the side of the road in the far left lane we turned the vehicle off, but left the hazard lights on and let the vehicle sit for a few minutes. We started again, lights came on, and I drove the vehicle another 100 miles without any incident until we entered the city. I had a similar problem driving the 12 remaining miles home, but the front yellow lights worked and I had the hazard and brake lights working. The city lights improved visibility. I took the vehicle in and the only problem they could find was with one of the headlights. I was told I needed to replace both. I can't emphasize how dangerous and frightening this experience was for my friend and I, still unsure how we avoided a tragedy. I would like the NHTSA to investigate and make a recommendation to have some type of warning in the vehicle.

- Salt Lake, UT, USA

Feb 012012

One vehicle headlight keeps going out but when you turn the lights off at the switch, then back on the light comes on again. The dealer changed the bulb despite us telling them the light comes on if you turn the switch off and back on. We had the connector checked and cleaned to no avail. I did a little research and it turns out that many other Prius owners are experiencing the same problems. This is a safety issue that is very expensive to troubleshoot and fix.

- Sellersville, PA, USA

May 032012

I was pulled over while driving at night by Kansas highway patrol and advised that the passenger side front headlight was out. I exited a few miles up ahead at wichita and spent the night. The next morning I drove to my original destination of enid, ok and took the car to the Toyota dealership for service, and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong because the headlight worked perfectly. Since then, I have had problems with that headlight working only intermittently and I've taken it to my home dealership in columbia, mo (machens Toyota) and been told they can't find anything wrong. My daughter has been stopped in this car by local police twice, advising her that the headlight is out, and I've been told this same thing by friends on numerous occasions. It seems that the headlight works initially when turned on, then it ceases to be illuminated after about a minute or so. If I go ahead and turn the lights completely off and then turn them back on, it will work again for a minute or two and then go out again. I have "googled" this and discovered that this is a common problem, and some consumers have spent up to $2600 trying to get various parts replaced and still, the problem has not been fixed. This appears to be a serious manufacturing defect and I cannot or will not be able to afford spending thousands of dollars trying unsuccessfully to remediate this important safety issue!

- Columbia, MO, USA

Dec 182013

Prius 4-cyl

12/18/13 is the first of many incidents when the headlamps suddenly go dark. The problem is random and intermittent, sometimes the left, sometimes the right, sometimes both go dark at once. This is a serious safety issue. Replacing the headlamp does not correct the defect.

- Keauhou, HI, USA

Mar 102014

Prius 4-cyl

The headlight went off while I was driving. I found out that headlights can only be changed by the dealership. The earliest appointment to change a lightbulb is the following Wednesday (more then a week later), and the estimated cost for the change is over $500. This causes incredible hardship - this is something the buyer should have been told of before buying the vehicle.

- Huntingdon, PA, USA

Feb 262014

Prius 4-cyl

Today (and many other days) one or both of my headlights and/or taillights have extinguished completely on their own while operating the vehicle at low and high speeds. This is especially frightening when both headlights extinguish where we live (out in the country where streetlights do not exist). On several other occasions, I have been pulled over on the way to work by various law enforcement organizations (local police, sheriff, highway patrol) due to my headlights and/or taillights being out. Turning them off and then on, or tapping the taillight with my hand (obviously impossible to accomplish while driving) solves the problem for a few minutes at a time. Every day, at least 5 of my coworkers inform me that I have a headlight and/or taillight bulb which needs replacing. I drive this car as a commuter to work and to drive my children. It concerns me greatly that Toyota ignores this problem!

- Escalon, CA, USA

Feb 252013

Headlights sometimes go out or fail to stay lite---turning them off and back on seems to correct issue for my 2007 Prius, so far. There is a service notice issued but we need a required recall to make dealers correct issue for free.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 212014

Prius 4-cyl

While driving at night, both headlights simultaneously turned off, without warning. Some panic, but, turned light switch off/on (pure luck on my part) and lights again came on -- probably within 10 seconds of having an accident or going off the road. No emergency pull-off lane, or area was available.

- Gladwyne, PA, USA

Feb 232014

Prius 4-cyl

The bulbs turn off intermittently for no reason. I already replaced the bulbs but the problem did not go away. This is very unsafe. I made my research and there are many complaints of this kind of problem with the 2007 Prius. Toyota should recall and fix this problem. This is very unsafe.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Apr 082013

We own a Toyota Prius and have had the dealer replace the headlight 4 times. The first time we simply got in the vehicle and when we turned it on we realized it was not working. After we had it fixed about 2 months later we got pulled over and given a warning to get it fixed. We did so again and again with no solution. Since our last time the dealership has advised us to go to the Toyota dealership but there telling us that is simply a bad headlight and it will cost about 200 to fix it. I showed them where in 8 months it was changed 3 times and they simply said it must be human error because everything else looks fine.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Feb 012013

Prius 4-cyl

The right front head lamp goes off out after 10-15 minutes of being on. Once I turn the car off and allow it to rest it will begin to work again.

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Dec 172008

Since 2008, the headlamps on my car have been going in and out. The dealership replaced one of the lights in 2008, but it has continued to be a problem. Sometimes one light goes out, while other times they both go out and it can be quite dangerous. They will usually come back on when turned on and off, but it's still dangerous, particularly on the interstate traveling 70mph at night if both lights flicker off. A quote of approximately $500 was given to repair the vehicle at the dealership. Toyota hasn't been very forthcoming with support, knowing that there are multiple reported issues with the hid light and it's the most common complaint on websites regarding this make, model and year.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 012013

Prius 4-cyl

Headlight and taillights go out and then come back on. Also, when on they seem to be very weak.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 082014

Prius 4-cyl

Right headlight flickers and goes out, leaving only left headlight on. Turning headlights off and on causes both headlights to work again. Problem repeats randomly in about 10 minutes. I also noted that once both headlights went off.

- Harwood Heights, IL, USA