2007 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 8 of 45)

May 262007

Toyota sold me a brand new Prius with a headlamp not working. After I signed all the purchase papers, they pointed out that the right headlamp was not working and told me that it was alright to drive home and return the next days for repair. After four or five trips to the Toyota service department, they replaced the defective control unit. At a later date when the car had about 50,000 miles, I was driving on a freeway from los angeles to menifee, ca, at night in the hov lane. I seemed to have difficulty seeing the road and thought something was wrong with my eyes. So I switched lanes to the slow lane where, with less glare from the oncoming cars, I realized that both headlamps were not working. This was a dangerous situation on the high speed crowded freeway, so I pulled off the road at the next exit. Toyota replaced the headlamps, and I was compensated for the cost of repair upon the outcome of a class action lawsuit. Recently I noticed that the headlamps were failing again at around 115,000 miles. Immediately I had Toyota repair both headlamps, as I didn't want to experience the hazard of both headlamps failing again. From my personal experiences, there is a dangerous design flaw in the Prius that must be addressed especially before both headlamps fail again. I am concerned the next time the headlamps fail I will have no advanced symptoms and both might fail again simultaneously while IżżM on the road at night.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Oct 252012

Prius 4-cyl

I purchased my 07 Prius from a dealership in September of 2012. There was only 1 previous owner & at that time my car's mileage was around 55K. I commute 1 hr and 20 minutes to work (one way) & my first incident occurred after dropping my son off at daycare early in the morning, almost a month after purchasing my car. I noticed my right headlight was out. When I got into my car, I turned the headlights off and back on. Both my headlights came back on so I didn't think twice about it. Afterwards, almost every month I noticed my right headlight turned off, which started to concern me, but after getting quotes on how much the repairs would be I knew it would take some time for me to budget the costs into my monthly expenses. After another month or so, I found myself driving on highway 55 westbound (cary, nc) at around 9pm at night & both of my headlights suddenly shut off. Highway 55 does not have much lighting in the first place & I am very lucky that my 2 year old son was not with me. I panicked but quickly turned my headlights off & on again. Fortunately, they turned back on. Now almost every month, & aside from one of my headlights failing nearly every 2 days, both of my headlights randomly shut off. In fact, my headlights shut off again this morning at around 5:45am during my commute to work on highway 55. I did some research but found Toyota has only agreed to pay for repairs for '04-'09 models (with the same hid headlight issue) through the earlier of 5 years warranty and 50,000 miles or reimburse drivers who have already paid to have the problem corrected. I've already contacted Toyota at 1800-331-4331 and filed a complaint but I was told that my car (at 102K miles) was now ineligible for this program. This issue should be an official recall to avoid any severe accidents it can cause for owners who cannot afford upfront repairs.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jul 252013

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger-side high intensity headlight started intermittently failing. The light goes out randomly and unexpectedly. Turning both headlights off and back on again temporarily fixes the issue.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 042013

Prius 4-cyl

My passenger headlight went out after replacing it 6 months prior. I am aware now that other Prius owners have similar issues with headlights.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 152013

Prius 4-cyl

Driver side headlight, keeps going out.switch off the lights then back on it works for a little while, but stills go out.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jan 152013

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights became inoperable intermittently. The contact stated that after turning the headlight switch off and back on, the headlights functioned normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the headlights would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jul 092013

Prius 4-cyl

Right headlight flickers when starting car, then goes out intermittently. Known issue with 2005-2007 Prius.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Jun 282013

I have previously filed a complaint regarding this vehicle # 10520690. Now this vehicle can no longer be driven at night as both headlights go out while driving. This is extremely unsafe and scary. If this were the only vehicle I had to drive I would have a real problem because I can not trust to drive it after sunset. Toyota needs to fix this problem!

- Peoria , AZ, USA

Jan 162013

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, both head lights failed. The contact was able to turn the lights back on once activated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the headlights needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Manchester, CT, USA

Feb 052013

The drivers side headlight goes out for no apparent reason. The headlight will come back on if you shut off the lights and turn them back on. This is dangerous and a known problem by the manufacturer and nothing is being done to fix it.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Feb 102013

Prius 4-cyl

Both headlights went out without warning. This has recurred numerous times since then, also with taillights. I've been pulled over 4 times by police for lights out. Next day, they're fine, or a different light is out.very dangerous and scary, as we live in a rural area with windy roads and no street lights.

- Greenwich, NY, USA

May 212013

Prius 4-cyl

Both front head lamps shutoff at the same time while moving at about 25 mph. Turning off the head lamp switch and turning the switch back on restored the lights.

- Roy, UT, USA

Aug 152012

Prius 4-cyl

The head lights turn off, while driving, when turned off, and on again it comes back on. Toyota will not replace the lights because we are over 50000 miles. This is an ongoing problem with the Prius high intensity head lights, and the whole component should be replaced with a better version. They want to charge us 450 dollars for replacing the light bulb, which according to research will stop working again, after a period of time. Please have Toyota recall this light system and replace it with a better system. Its a great hazard when your lights go off while you are driving at night. Thank you for your consideration.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Apr 082013

Prius 4-cyl

Driver side headlight will begin to flicker and then shut off completely. Turning the lights off and turning them back on relights the headlight only for it to happen another 10 to 15min later on average.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Apr 292013

Prius 4-cyl

My headlight problem has gone on for as long as I have owned the car.I have asked the dealer to check the lights on numerous service calls and was always told they could not find a problem. The bulb was replaced at a cost of $300 but the problem persists. The right light goes out. It comes back on if I turn the switch on and off, however I do not always realize the light is out. I have been stopped numerous times and given work orders to get my light fixed. I am tired of this problem and I don't know how to fix it.

- Port Deposit, MD, USA

Apr 022013

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving at night when my headlights went out. I tried the brights with no effect. I had to turn them off and turn them back on again. It has happened twice now.

- Shingle Springs, CA, USA

Feb 132013

Prius 4-cyl

The plastic weld process or other type of gluing process used to make the vehicles exterior front and rear turn signal, brake and back up light lense assemblies or housings fails. All four, two front and two rear, exterior combination light lense assemblies suffer this premature and serious failure. When these exterior lenses begin to fail they allow water intrusion from the exterior of the vehicle. This allows moisture to penetrate into areas of the lense assembly which support all of the light bulbs used to warn or signal other drivers or pedestrians. At a very minimum this problem results in premature bulb failure for all of the signaling systems specified above. Researching your site this problem has been reported to you many times and Toyota motor Corp. Is also aware of this problem. What you don't seem to be aware of is the most serious concern resulting from this problem; if the right (passenger side) rear lense suffers this problem and begins leaking, the water runs or drains directly into the interior 12vdc starter battery well. This battery well is as deep, or deeper than the factory installed 12vdc starter battery is tall and can result in water overtopping the battery. This causes shorting/grounding across the positive/negative 12vdc starter battery terminals. This prevents the operator from starting the vehicle and cuts off power to all 12vdc electrical systems including emergency flashers. It could easily result in serious damage to the 12vdc starter battery and many expensive 12vdc electronic components or systems. This problem is more serious in areas that receive high amounts of rainfall. I called a Toyota authorized dealership, lum's auto center, and reported my car wouldn't start. They suggested I bring it in. After 4 days they were unable to find the problem. No diagnostic codes were logged. This is a serious problem needing immediate attention!

- Astoria, OR, USA

Mar 172010

Prius 4-cyl

Since two years old the headlights have occasionally flickered, and the pass. Side has gone out. Turning them off momentarily and back on solved the problem. Lately it's gotten worse, and I finally had my mechanic replace the pass. Side bulb. The new bulb ($85) was worse and now I'm told the "ballast" needs replacement for hundreds of dollars. Of course the safety issue at night is primary, but Toyota was derelict in their duty not to advise customers of this highly unusual, potential cost when selling me the car. I've never paid more than $15 for a headlight and have always replaced them myself. Also, the owners manual suggests an easy replacement. My mechanic had to partially remove the headlight assembly. That was another misrepresentation.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Apr 022012

Prius 4-cyl

I have been having problems for about a year now with my Prius 2007 when I apply the brakes. The car stutters when it changes from hybrid to gas. Serviced only by Toyota. When I brought the car in for a recall I asked them to fix the problem. They could not identify the problem and called in a specialist and subsequently was told that this is typical wear on a car this old (5 years, 59,000 miles). This was from a repair specialist sent from Toyota when the regular service department could not identify the problem. I drive on highway S everyday to work and home and I am a nervous wreck, worrying that the car will just come to a stop in the middle of traffic. Over the past 2 years when I go thru a car wash the front driver side headlight gets moisture inside. When I brought this to the attention of the service dept at Toyota I was told it would cost approximately $600 to replace the headlight. This was way before it had fallen out of warranty (36,000) but of course they did not tell me that it was covered, in fact they told me what it would cost to replace! now the bulb is also flickering on and off in this same headlight. Definitely a safety issue. Toyota quoted me $270 to change the light bulb. The reason I was given was that they have to take off the entire front bumper to change an $11 bulb at autozone. We were told that if my hand was small enough I could try to do it myself. I called Toyota corporate, and was told that Toyota was discounting the bulb, it normally should cost $420. They were aware of the problem and extended the warranty to 50,000 miles but did not issue a recall for this issue either. I only found out because the service department was dragging its feet in diagnosing the problem with the braking system so I called corporate and mentioned the moisture problem and that was how I found out that it was not only my car.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 122013

Passenger (right) headlight not working. It could be "turned on" by switching light switch off, then on. This has happened multiple times. Bright lights would not turn on, even with turning switch off, then on. Low beams did work and failed light on passenger side turned back on. Took car to dealership. Passenger bulb went out during inspection and high beams were both working. Both headlights replaced with a cost of $500! this is the second time the lights had to be replaced. The last time was in 2009.

- Livermore, CA, USA