2007 Toyota Prius miscellaneous problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 252016

The electronic dash (heads up instrument display) on our 2007 Prius has intermittently failed to light over the last year. Yesterday, it failed and also wouldn't turn off. We always use the remote (keyless) ignition system. But, after the failures yesterday I put the electronic key fob into the hole in the dash thinking that might help. Instead, I couldn't remove it. I tried every combination of pressing buttons (the park and power buttons) and other controls, brakes pedal, shifter and it still wouldn't shut off or light up the display. After holding the power button in for an extended amount of time, it turned off and ejected the key fob. But then the car wouldn't light up the instrument display or start. This morning, again, it would not start. I was told by an experienced Prius mechanic (also an owner) that these were classic symptoms of a failing power amplifier for the display and that it was a "secret warranty, " a voluntary repair to avoid a government recall, but that Toyota would only do it for 10 years. The dealer refused to do it under warranty even though the symptoms began before the car was 10 years old. They told me the recall was only good for nine years. They want $765 for the repair. It strikes me that this is a safety failure and should be covered, period. With no indication of speed or other functions (ABS function, traction control, etc.), or to turn the vehicle off, it is unsafe to operate the vehicle. The various failures, including loss of cruise control while in motion, took place when the car was cold and when it was warmed up. At rest and in motion.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 252016

The trunk release latch on my 2007 Prius has deteriorated almost to the point of not being able to open the trunk. The same part was replaced about 4 years after I purchased the vehicle. And now, it's happening again. It's like the plastic stuff is melting and falling apart. We are having to purchase this same part, for the second time now. Love my Prius, but hate having to make repairs on the same issue 2 times. Also, I had the headlights repaired (from a recall) about 2 years after I purchased the car. The front headlights are still doing the same thing. The problem was never really fixed. While driving at night and in day time, the headlights go out. Usually they go out one at a time. Like the right side will go out. Then you can flip the switch to turn them on and off, and it'll work again for about 5 minutes. Then the left side will go out. This usually happens every night while driving and I have to flip the switch on and off about 9 times while driving short and long distances. I just usually flip the switch and they come back on again. Sometimes while driving at night, they both go out at the same time. Really a safety hazard when driving around with my 2 small kids!! brought it back to Toyota dealership in lake charles to be repaired. But they said they couldn't re-create the problem, so they couldn't fix it. How long do you think I can keep driving around in the dark with malfunctioning lights and kids in the car"???????????????" this happens daily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Kinder, LA, USA

Jan 012012

Another complaint regarding the rubber cover of the 2007 Prius hatch release/latch. The rubber covering has deteriorated and degraded in a way that causes it to melt and become sticky in warm or hot weather; touching the cover causes the material to stick to fingers, and is very difficult to remove, requiring the use of a solvent cleaner. In cold and freezing weather, the cover becomes very stiff and not flexible, and is impossible to press, causing the hatch to be impossible to open. This is a basic operational problem, rendering the hatchback non-functional - it can't be opened, or if it can be opened it leaves a substance on the driver's body. Also a safety issue, as when the hatch can't be opened this is essentially being locked out of the trunk where the spare tire and safety equipment are located. Dealer will charge approximately $300 for part and labor to repair this. I've called Toyota customer service, and their response was: "it is no longer covered under the warranty, and there is no recall for this, so Toyota will not be covering this repair." I did a search in the NHTSA complaint database and found 147 owners with the exact same problem. Very discouraging and irresponsible that Toyota will not take responsibility and assist owners with resolving this issue.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Apr 052015

Back hatch handle melts in hot weather and gets tar on fingers and drips on car body. The only way Toyota has to fix this is to make consumer pay for a new rear handle assembly.

Nov 252011

Rear latch for the hatchback door is inoperable in cold weather (+/-<40*), the door latching release mechanism freezes and cannot be opened. In hot weather (+/->80*) the covering for the mechanism melts and it gets all over your hands and is impossible to get off. The freezing aspect of this defect is dangerous when the back cannot be opened. I have talked with Toyota about this but they will not offer much help in resolving the problem. It is very expensive to replace >$300. I did not notice the problem until I moved to the mountains in the winter time.

- Stateline, NV, USA

Jan 052016

The rear hatch latch has become impossible to open. The exterior handle rubber has been softening, almost melting, for several years. When it has released in the past, sometimes it was only a partial release, leaving the hatch latched down. The hatch problems have been consistently affecting the operation of the latch to the point that I can no longer open it at all. I asked the dealer if there was a bulletin or recall after seeing all of the internet complaints and he said, no. He did say they get a lot of complaints/repairs on the 2007 hatch latch and the parts to repair it will take time to get in as they are in demand. Internet searches show this is a widespread problem that can involve safety. My spare tire is back there and I cannot access my trunk. Had to crawl though the back seat to change a taillight. Toyota needs to resolve this known problem and reimburse those who have fixed the problem themselves.

- Granger, IN, USA

Jan 022016

The rear hatch latch is controlled by an external rubber button that over time has melted into a sticky goo that has prevented the latch from operating with normal finger operation. My wife is unable to open the hatch even though her hands are stronger than the average woman. Not only is this a problem accessing items in the trunk of the car, but it could be a safety hazard under some emergency situations. Toyota has recalled similar latches on some Scion models but told me that there is not a recall on this Prius model.

- Highland Village, TX, USA

Jan 012014

The rear hatch latch is almost impossible to open. The exterior handle rubber has been softening, almost melting, for several years. It is now consistently affecting the operation of the latch. I asked the dealer if there was a bulletin or recall and he said, no. He did say they get a lot of complaints/repairs on the 2007 hatch latch.

Jun 152011

Hatchback latch: In hot weather the rubber latch melts and it is difficult to open the hatch. When I took the car in for regular maintenance, I enquired about repair of the latch and they quoted a price of about $300. This was several years ago. I asked about a recall on this problem, as I understood it was a problem for many 2007 Prius owners. I was told there was no recall. It has not been repaired and is getting worse. I think it should be repaired by the manufacturer as it is clearly a defective product.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 142015

The issue relates to tsb-0172-09 - combination meters fails in sub zero weather. This problem happened several years ago and twice last winter in subzero temperature. Last week I needed to have lynch Toyota in manchester, ct replace my key fob and I requested that they run a computer diagnostic on the combo meter problem. They claim that they actually need to see the display not functioning. I explained that there is no way that they can confirm this problem - if the problem exists I am advised to not drive the car (once the car warms the problems disappears anyway) - the alternative is to have the car towed to the dealership - if they can confirm the problem they will cover the towing expense - problem is this - the dealer is located in the central valley of ct - elevation ~270 feet in contrast to my location northeast hills at elevation 780 - cooler in ne and warmer in central valley. I sent Toyota through their website and received an email response (incident #1509120648) and just called 800-331-4331. The Toyota representative to my surprise did not have an answer in hand so we had to revisit the email and I explained the problem. Basically what we concluded is that Toyota can not fix my problem for they cannot verify that the problem exists. So here we have a classic catch 22 - and the extended warranty of 9 years is about to expire. They also contend that providing photographic documentation of the problem is not sufficient to verify the problem

- Ashford, CT, USA

Sep 032015

The rear hatch release on my 2007 Toyota Prius has begun to deteriorate and turn into a rubbery and sticky black mess. This issue interferes with the use of the hatch as the rubber not only gets on your fingers but appears to be blocking the release mechanism. The deterioration started during the summer.. the issue has worsened and today I was unable to open the rear hatch whatsoever.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Aug 172015

The back latch of my 2007 Toyota Prius has degraded ("melted" almost). I have to press repeatedly to open the trunk. Each time I touch it to open the car my hands get covered in melted rubber. I am concerned that in the case of an emergency, I will not be able to get the door open. This is a major cause for concern and it is a serious safety hazard. Given how many people are experiencing this problem with a 2007 Toyota Prius (even my car dealer knows about the issue), why hasn't a recall been issued?

- Woodbridge, CT, USA

Aug 132015

When attempting to shift the vehicle into drive or reverse the transmission selection will revert to neutral within a few seconds. The problem occurs multiple times even after tuning off all accessories and restarting the vehicle. In some cases it requires that the transmission joystick selector lever be held manually in the D position to continue driving. The problem also occurs at low speed, I.e after turning onto a street from a stopped position of the transmission will pop out of gear into neutral. The problem is intermittent and has occurred a few times over the past year.

- Spokane , WA, USA

Apr 012010

I started having problems with my headlights when I bought my used Prius March 9, 2010. First it was just one headlight... I found that if I shut the lights off and back on the headlight would come back on. It would do it once in awhile... then it would switch from the left to the right headlight and started doing it more often...soon both lights would shut off while I was driving and it would occur several times a month. Lately, it has started shutting the lights (either or both) every couple minutes some times even every couple seconds... I hate driving at night... this has become a really bad problem. I just had a auto shop look at the car and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with the lights... I think Toyota should fix this issue at no cost to the customers no matter how old the car is a safety issue!

- Burien, WA, USA

Aug 032015

The trunk hatch cover/switch on my 2007 Prius has completely melted and locked up. Myself, and many other Prius owners of this year, are victims of a faulty component and can no longer access our spare tires in case of an emergency. This is a terrible safety issue and these components should be recalled.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Feb 102015

The back latch of the 2007 Toyota Prius has degraded and melted. It no longer functions properly and I have safety concerns regarding the use of the rear door in case of emergencies. There are a series of complaints reported and it is not due to high heat or chemical exposure. Please advise as to how to get this replaced.

Dec 042013

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota priuses, covering multiple model years, have problems with their multifunction displays in the range of 85000-95000 miles. The problem manifests itself with a display that will start to go out and have problems with a fuzzy display or lines through the picture, or will just fail outright. This can cause problems with such as the inability to control the car's climate (including safety-related front and rear window defog), bluetooth hands-free, gps mapping and other important car functions. Online third-party repair companies suggest the problem may have to do with bad soldering points on the display unit. Toyota service bulletin EL002-05 is purported to the issue. Some sites that discuss the issue: Toyota does not acknowledge a wide-spread problem and will not fully-cover replacement/repair on an out-of-warranty vehicle.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 082015

Prius 4-cyl

I'm in NJ on 1/8/15 I was shopping at costco. It was sub zero temeperture and I had a full cart. I injured my fingers and got frostbite while trying to open hatch. It was stuck. The weather was cold and windy. I got very sick from the incident because of the stupid hatch, the rubber part is like stuck and can't feel latch it doesnt open. I'm really really upset.. omg

- Livingston, NJ, USA

May 202014

Prius 4-cyl

The rear hatch release on my 2007 Toyota Prius has begun to deteriorate and turn into a rubbery and sticky black mess. This issue interferes with the use of the hatch as the rubber not only gets on your fingers but appears to be blocking the release mechanism. The issue first began this past summer and as outside temperatures rose, the rubber melted.

- Concord, CA, USA

Sep 022014

Prius 4-cyl

Exterior rear hatch latch handle sticky/melting. Covered with tape to avoid touching the mess when using the door. Latch and lock operation has become unreliable and hatch must be slammed to ensure closure. Practically identical to complaint id 10632829.

- Folsom, CA, USA