2007 Toyota Prius seat belts / air bags problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 192012

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, there was a distraction that caused the contract to crash into the rear of a truck. The front driver side air bag failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the neck. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 85,000.

- Ponte Vedra , FL, USA

May 252012

On my way home from work on the frontage road along I-5. my tires hit the gravel and I lost control. I went through the grass on the side of the road down a dip and landed on the passenger side of the car on the railroad tracks. I began to roll and rolled the car from side to side at least 15 times. A row of trees is what stopped me. The engine was still running and I was still buckled in the drivers seat. I had to kick out the windshield in order to get out of the car. I went to emergency that night where I was X-rayed and checked out. I ended up with only major bruising on the left side of my body, the chp that responded was sure I was dead. They told me they expected to see a dead body in the car. I barely escaped with my life and the air bags never deployed in the car.

- Grimes, CA, USA

May 292012

My son was attempting to make a U-turn and was hit by a car going the same direction. His head broke the driver side window and the air bag did not deploy. The air bag in the other car did open.

- Bethesda, DE, USA

Jan 102011

I was hit on driver's side door by a large pickup truck in a city intersection. The truck impact centered on the driver door.truck going around 30 mph, my car going about 10 mph. Driver's door was crushed in, side window shattered, door required removal by rescue squad. I, the driver, was wearing seat belt. No airbags deployed.

- Churchville, VA, USA

Jul 312010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle began abnormally sliding toward the left. The contact attempted to steer the vehicle toward the right but the vehicle would not change direction. The contact then attempted to brake but the vehicle would not stop. The contact was unable to maintain control of the vehicle which resulted in a single vehicle rollover crash. The air bags did not deploy. The police appeared on the scene and speculated that the front passenger side tire blew prior to the crash. A police report was available. An ambulance also appeared on the scene as the contact sustained minor injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an insurance company lot. The vehicle was not examined for the cause of failure. The failure and current mileage was 43,000.

- Danville, CA, USA

Feb 062009

My Toyota Prius accelerated at extremely high speed as I pulled into my driveway. I crashed through the garage door into the boxes and furniture stored in the garage. I had my foot pressed all the way down on the brake but could not slow down or stop but accelerated to a very high speed. There was significant property damage and car damage. It was reported to allstate. No other vehicle was involved. The airbag did not activate! I do not know the exact speed other than to say it was extremely fast and very, very terrifying!

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Jun 182009

Multiple times my 2007 Toyota Prius airbag system has failed due to a passenger weighing over 250 pounds sitting in the passenger seat. The problem seems to happen when the passenger wiggles when getting in or having a wallet in his back pocket. After he gets in the red airbag warning light comes on and it is my understanding that the airbag is then disabled. The airbag light will remain on until the dealer services the car. The dealer?S hand diagnostic tool once reported that the code was accident detected, but I challenged this and it was discovered that the code actually means occupant classification system fail. Unhooking the 12V battery will clear the system and supposedly make the airbag work properly again. The problem will reoccur when the same passenger gets in the passenger seat.

- Lexington Park, MD, USA

Jan 022008

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that she collided into another vehicle when she depressed the brake. As a result, the seat belts disengaged which allowed the driver hit the steering column. In addition, the crash destroyed the vehicle and the air bags did not deploy. As of January 3, 2008, the dealer or manufacturer had not inspected the vehicle to determine the cause of the failure. The current and failure mileages were 13,000. A police report is available.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Jul 162007

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Prius. The contact's vehicle was rear ended by another vehicle. As a result, the contact's vehicle then crashed into the rear of the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the seat belt did not lock. There were no injuries. The road conditions were dry. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed, but has not yet been inspected. The current and failure mileages were 3,141. Updated 02/01/08

- Oveido, FL, USA