2007 Toyota Prius steering problems

2007 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 142009

Prius

This was a first time occurrence for my 2007 Prius. I was stopped midway on my mountain, long & steep, dirt driveway trying to park along the rock side. It was too tight to park so decided to continue down to the bottom. I was in reverse and shifted, with my foot on the brake, into drive. The car suddenly bolted forward propelling me through the fence and down a steep embankment to our deck where 12 people were having a dinner meeting. My brakes didn't work, nor did the steering. The bolting force was heard by all on the deck. There is no way I would have pressed the gas by mistake for two reasons: Your foot must be on the brake to shift; and as is typical on our steep gravel roads, one never presses the gas pedal while proceeding down. The car propelled 10 or 12 feet forward crossing the drive at a diagonal, crashed through the fence boarding the drop off, and proceeded down the embankment stopping only when it hit the big tree by our deck. To my right were all the guests and my husband, just feet away from the oncoming, out of control car. Had I missed that particular tree, I would have rolled down an even steeper ravine because of rocks to bounce off and very sharp drop off.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Feb 152007

Prius

New 2007 Toyota Prius touring package #6 - 11K miles at this time. Car always leans to the left. Steering tugs to the left, but dealer says alignment is fine. Dealer said left side is 1/2" lower to ground than right side of car. Dealer said that is normal and acceptable. I complained that when I turn right, car seems to roll excessively and feels unstable. When I turn left, car & suspension feel fine - minimal lean or body roll. Purchased car new in Jan. 2007. Had front end alignment within a month or two, which improved pulling to the left. However, handling still felt as described above, so I had dealer check alignment again. Dealer said it was within specs. Dealer also advised me at that time that the left side of car was 1/2" lower than right side. I've made several return visits to two different dealers [poway Toyota and bob bridge Toyota in renton, wa]; both dealers say alignment is ok.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 192008

Prius

I was driving my 2007 Toyota Prius (only 2 1/2 years old with 10K miles on it) through a curvy road when the vehicle stability control system began turning on and off erratically, much more than was called for on an a mostly smooth road. I could tell something was wrong with the system and that it was malfunctioning, so I pulled over to the side of the road to investigate. Unfortunately it was dark and I was on a narrow, windy busy road so I quickly decided there was nothing I could do to diagnose the problem. I got back in my car and continued down the road at a slightly decreased speed 20-25mph. A couple of minutes later I was driving into a curve and tried to turn the wheel. I turned the steering wheel but the wheels didn't react. The steering wheel offered no resistance as I turned it back and forth and I was quickly heading into oncoming traffic and pointed towards a steep dropoff into a canyon. At this time there weren't any warning lights or indicator lights on the dashboard to indicate something was going on, but there was a loud warning beep at some point. After about 2-3 seconds the steering responded again but when it turned back on I was turning so hard on the wheel that my car now veered sharply to my right towards a rock face wall on the side of the road. I recovered on time and pulled over on the side of the road. I was too scared to drive the car, so I had it towed to a Toyota dealer. They looked it over and claimed nothing was wrong and that there was nothing more they can do for me. I could have died that night and almost hit many cars. I am petrified to drive my car ever again and worried this could happen to more people, so I wanted to warn your Agency. I plan on contacting Toyota headquarters as well to complain and insist they check my car because even if this only happens one more time, it could be fatal.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 282007

Prius 4-cyl

- the contact purchased a 2007 Toyota Prius on February 28, 2007 with 4 miles from beaver Toyota of Santa Fe New Mexico. The day after purchasing the vehicle while driving over 40 mph it did not drive straight, it moved left to right. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, and was told that this was how the vehicle drove. The service manager explained that these vehicles had many complaints because of the way the vehicle was aerodynamicly made, the vehicle tended to move from side to side going over 40 mph on the highway. The failure mileage was 20, and the current mileage was 300 miles. Updated 04/09/07.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA