2008 Toyota Prius brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 232007

Prius

I have a 2008 Toyota Prius and apparently I'm experiencing the same problems as the 2010's in the recall. After reading the description from new releases I realize that I have been experiencing the problem. The event is reproducible and occurs whenever I'm braking and the car hits the slightest bump or dip in the road. If I do not let go of the brake just before the bump/dip/small pothole, the brake seems to disengage and the car feels as if its lurching forward. The engine does not seem to rev but there is a definite feeling of acceleration. I have noticed this pretty much since I bought the car but did not think all to much of it, I just adjusted my driving habits as best as possible. ( I thought perhaps the ABS or traction control was just too sensitive) I drive through out the day and a road I travel on has gotten pretty beat up with all the snow removal so I have to be very careful driving on this road if there is any traffic, as I must anticipate the bumps/dips and brake accordingly otherwise this event will occur. Again the issue is reproducible thankfully I have not had an accident due to this.

- Middle Island, NY, USA

Feb 082010

Prius

I have a 2008 Prius. If I have my foot on the brake and the stability system light comes on, the brake seems to release for a split second. This has not caused an accident, but I wanted to report it since the 2010 Prius is being investigated

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Jan 202010

Prius

Own 2008 Toyota Prius. In the past few months having trouble with the anti- locking brake system. While going over bumps or potholes feels that the car has no control almost like driving on ice. This problem is occuring more frequently. Also, making turns the brakes seem to grab and then eventulally release. While making a turn on a off ramp, the anti-locking brake system continually employed making it difficult to steer the car around the turn.

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

Feb 052010

Prius

Can't brake effectively on snow or when car hits a pot hole

- Mentor, OH, USA

Jan 282010

Prius

My car is a 2008 Prius. The incident is that my car didn't stop and skidded into a concrete curb, damaging the right front power steering rack. It was snowing, about 1-2" accumulated. Driving into my office parking lot, there is a street with a steep but short hill - maybe 50feet or less - (it was not plowed or sanded). At the foot of the hill, there is a left turn into a level parking lot or a right turn under a highway overpass, or straight ahead into shrubs and the river. I slowed down before going down the hill and as I went down the hill I lightly pumped brakes. Tried to come to a complete stop at foot of the hill but car didn't stop completely, but was going slow. So, I made the left turn into the parking lot. The body of the car turned into the lot, but was not in control. With the brakes on, and the wheel turned to the left, the car went into a slide sideways to the right. The right front wheel slammed into a concrete curb and the car stopped. It felt as if I had no brakes - coming down the hill they couldn't stop me and there was no skid control coming on at any time. The failure: Given the weather conditions I don't know how to prove a failure but I suspect something with the brakes. I have owned this car for one year (purchased it used) and during that time the one thing that bugs me in the car is the brakes and the skid control. They just feel strange, I go over a depressed manhole in the road and the dsc comes on and it feels like I skid - it should just feel like a bump. Repairs: This is the list -entire power steering rack on right front to be replaced- tie rod, lower control arm, wheel, rim-all bent. Front cover and lower ball joint damaged-to be replaced. Over $3000 in repairs; they will be done this week (8 Feb). If you want the old parts I can ask for dealer to save them. Car is @ Toyota dealer. Mileage & speed are my best guess; components I guessed - your terms were not familiar to me.

- Westport, CT, USA

Feb 052010

Prius

I own a 2008 Toyota Prius. I've noticed that when I run over a bump or a pothole on the road, the car seems to accelerate or jolt forward. It happens while I brake to a stop sign and run over a bump or pothole. It has also happened while letting go of the gas pedal but not stepping on the brake. Usually when this occurs the light for the traction control engages as if it detects a skid, even though there is no skid. I have to press the brake very hard in order to stop or slow down the car. I tend to leave extra room in front of me just in case the car accelerates unexpectedly, but there is definitely a problem with unexplained acceleration.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 012010

Prius

Car seems to slip on uneven road surface. When driven over potholes or bumps in the road, the wheels seem to speed up before stabilizing back. The stability control light flashes on when this happens.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

I drive a black 2008 Toyota Prius and after reading the news reports, I think there might be similar braking issues with my vehicle. The condition definitely does not happen very often, but I would say at least 5-10 times over the 23 months (March 08 - present) that I have had the vehicle. With the brake pedal applied after going over a rough spot or pothole in the road, it felt like the car was skidding or sliding. The car would resume normal operating conditions within a few seconds. The car was never out of control, but the steering wheel and brake pedal definitely felt very loose which is different than under normal circumstances. Also, when this condition occurs, the low-traction indicator light on the dashboard illuminates for a few seconds. These incidents occurred when there was not other traffic around. Up to this point, I attributed the condition to driver error, but I would rather add my description and err on the side of being overly cautious.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 302010

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius. Brakes fail/inoperative when driving over bumpy roads and/or potholes. It seems as though the ABS or the electronic stability control engages when there is no need. This is the same type of incident that is being reported in newer Prius models as well.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

When braking, if a pothole or bump in the road is hit, the car seemingly jerks forward/accelerates for a split second.

- Swampscott, MA, USA

Jun 102009

Prius

We bought the Prius on June 2008 and it has only 4023 miles but in last one month it broke down three times. First time the car stopped on highway a strong beep sound and then check engine light, vehicle stability control light and a big red alert triangle came up the car lost it's power completely and got stalled in the middle of hwy - pretty scary. Then on 6/2/2009 we noticed that we cannot open the hatch back door and the car is completely dead. Both times we towed the car to the dealer and first time they said they did not find any thing wrong and they have reset all the computer, second time they said the battery was drained out without really NY proper reason. Last night we drove the car may be about 15 miles or so and it's the same situation the beep sound and all the hazard lights came on in the middle of the road and the car is dead again and we had to tow to the dealer. Three times in one month and in the middle of the road with a $30,000 dollars car is unacceptable. Some one really can kill us from the back because it is so sudden that no way they could predict that we are going to be stalled within 5 seconds from 65 miles/hour speed. We have a child and she travels on the back seat all the time. What is the solution for it? Toyota needs to take the responsibility. It is a real safety issue for our family.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA