2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 14 of 25)

Feb 222011

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger side headlamp goes out and come back on intermittently-had to hold headlight switch manually to have headlight stay on.

- San Marino, CA, USA

Feb 182011

Prius 4-cyl

While driving at night I noticed the left headlight was out. When pulling into garage I turned lights off and back on and the left headlight had came back on. With knowing this I have noticed this repeating over and over again. If I turn the lights off and on again the headlight will come on again. It has also occurred that both headlights have gone out at the sametime. We were pulled over by the police for the headlight being out. So we turned the lights off and on again and the headlight came back on. This seems to be a on going problem with the hid headlights of the Prius. This is a very dangerous situation!

- Stanwood, WA, USA

Feb 172011

Prius 4-cyl

2008 Prius; headlights go off randomly, and can be turned back on by recycling the off-on switch. This is very dangerous, as it has happened with my 15 year old son driving and he panicked when the lights went out. Was told by dealer the would need to replace the bulbs (even though they still work) for $560, and that may not solve the problem. Next step is to replace the computer which controls the lights for $1200. So, possibly $1,760 for headlights! this is a crime, and I feel like Toyota and their dealer have raped me. I am totally disgusted.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Feb 152011

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights for 2008 Prius keep burning out, Toyota dealership replaced the bottom pair of lights last year and passenger side lights keep going off certain days. Toyota is refusing to fix it, they want me to pay large amount of sum for new lights.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Apr 082010

Prius

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that whenever he would drive 35 mph or above, both headlights would intermittently fluctuate on and off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who informed her that the failure was common for her year, make and model therefore, the dealer was willing to take the liability for fifty percent of the repair cost. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 03/03/11 upated 1/4/11

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Jan 062010

Prius 4-cyl

2008 Toyota Prius passenger side hid xenon headlamp going on an off randomly. Went to Toyota dealer they said it was the bulb and when replacing the bulb the mechanic found out the headlamp connector was corroded. I paid for a new bulb and connector. My problem is how a vehicle with only 40,000 miles could have corroded wire connectors already. The bill was $353.

- Parma, OH, USA

Jan 032010

Prius 4-cyl

Right headlight goes out and you have to turn light switch off and back on for it to come back on. The time range on the light going off varies from time to time. It can happen as fast as every 2-3 minutes. The ballast and bulb has been replaced and this did not correct the problem.

- Whitesboro, TX, USA

Jan 122011

Prius 4-cyl

2008 Toyota Prius driver side hid headlight went out prematurely.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 242010

Prius 4-cyl

There were no distinguishing events that led up to the total failure of my 2008 Toyota Prius driver side headlight and door lock assembly (front). They both no longer worked within a 1 day period and required replacement. Noticing 2 or more other vehicles of the same make and model there for light replacement caused me to inquire what caused their light malfunctions. In the matter of minutes of my calling in, roughly an hour into the dealerships opening, I was told the lights were available, by the time arrived, within 5 minutes, enough autos had arrived also with the "hid" headlamps out that the dealerships entire stock of lights had been used up, and required my having to return after another shipment of lights were received, as well. I did not request the old part.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 092010

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlights on 2008 Prius failing without a known fix from Toyota. Each bulb costs over $150.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 152010

Prius 4-cyl

The hid headlights on my 2008 Prius have begun to fail. Either one may not turn on, or they may turn off individually by themselves.

- Half Moon Bay, CA, USA

Jan 072011

Prius 4-cyl

The passenger side hid headlight went out suddenly, flickered back, and then went out permanently.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

Jan 032011

Prius 4-cyl

The complaint is for the hid headlight system on a 2008 Toyota Prius. The driver's side headlight initially failed randomly and eventually failed completely. The problem would occur randomly while driving where the headlight would fail. The only way the light would turn back on would be to cycle the power to the headlights. More recently, this problem is now occurring with the passenger side headlight. The car now has 88K miles and continues to be a problem. To correct the failure, I brought the car in to a Toyota dealer for repair. I was told that the driver's side headlight bulb was bad. I have not addressed the passenger side headlight at this time.

- Napa, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

Both front headlights go out without warning. The high beams work but one or both of the regular hit lights go out intermittently. The issue has been happening sine approx. 30,000 miles (the car is currently at 61000 miles).

- Brentwood, NH, USA

Dec 252010

Prius

Toyota Prius 2008 touring model with hid headlights. Currently have about 80,000 miles on car issue started after around 30,000 miles. The drivers side head light sporadically shuts off. I am able to turn lights off then back on and it will work again however this happens in a 30 min drive as often as about 15 times and seems to get more frequent the longer the drive. I ride with myself my husband and 3 kids and do not feel safe driving at night in my car. I do not feel this is the light itself because I am able to turn them off and back on again. If it was the light it would not turn back on.

- Spring Hill , FL, USA

Jan 142010

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius with approx. 60,000 miles on it. Right (passenger) hid headlamp turns off intermittently while driving. Replacing with a new bulb does not solve the issue and Toyota will not look at the car even though I have a record of this issue happening before the warranty was up. Now the driver's side hid headlamp is turning on and off as well. This is extremely dangerous to drive at night or even during the day while it is raining, etc... was driving home in the rain last night and both headlamps turned off. Extremely unsafe and irresponsible for Toyota to not take any responsibility.

- Valley Center, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Prius 4-cyl

Hid headlamps began to randomly turn off on their own at around 34K miles. Driver's side or passenger side; one or the other. Paid for and replaced both hid lamps, but not controller computer. At 42K miles, problem returns. One time while driving at night, both headlights blinked off without warning. Turning headlight controls off, then on again resolves the problem until problem recurs. Lights may stay on for duration of trip, or turn off again after just a few minutes.

- Cloquet, MN, USA

Dec 022010

Prius

I was driving to work in the dark. As I was turning left onto the fry. Ramp my lights went out! I couldn't turn around so I tried to guess where I was by the taillights on the fry. Then they came back on. This continued, on-off for ten miles. Toyota said they would fix it that day. Chg. $556.59. Car has 27,554 miles.

- Ripon, CA, USA

Dec 022010

Prius

Front right hid headlight went out. Comes on intermittently. Cannot operate vehicle safely at night. Known defect by manufacturer on 2004-2008 Prius.

- Short Hills, NJ, USA

Nov 242010

Prius

Left front hid headlamp flickered and then went out. I turned the headlights off and then on quickly, restoring the headlight. It repeated itself repeatedly for several weeks until I was able to get the headlight replaced at the outrageous cost of $469.80. That price included replacing both headlights, as I did not want to take the chance of having the other one fail in the same manner. It is clear from research I have done, that Toyota is gouging the public on the replacement of these headlights and also refuses to acknowledge that they have put a defective product on the road. This is clearly a safety recall item.

- New Berlin, WI, USA