2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 15 of 25)

Dec 032010

Prius

At 39,000 miles my 2008 Toyota Prius headlights failed. Just driving down the road at night and they just go out. After a few minutes they came back on enough to drive home. I took it to dealer the next day and they said the bulbs needed replaced for 400 dollars. I asked them why and they said was normal wear and tear. These lights were supposed to last much longer than normal lights but it doesn't seem that way. They never worked right as far as being able to see any distance at all and now all of a sudden they go out. Makes one afraid to drive after dark not knowing now when this will happen again for another 400 dollars.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Nov 262010

Prius

Intermittent hid headlights on my 2008 Prius. The headlights suddenly go off, then after turning them off and back on, they are good for a while once again. This is happening to both the left and right sides. I understand the bulbs are $150 each plus labor to replace. I only have 40,000 miles on my Prius. This is extremely dangerous.

- Ocean City, MD, USA

Nov 252010

Prius

Both head lights come on for a second or 2 then turn off. Turning them on and off repeatedly sometimes they will stay on for up to 1 minute then turn off. Toyota dealership that sold us car claims they never heard of this problem. Reported problem 12/2/2010.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Jan 052010

Prius

At approximately 37,000 miles my drivers side headlight, which is an hid bulb, started to flicker and turn off. Most the time it would happen within the first few minutes of starting the car. If the lights were turned off and back on it would work again. Approximately 1,000 miles later I noticed a new symptom where both headlights would turn off simultaneously, this would happen rarely. I brought the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the issue was my bulbs(which when I was sold the vehicle was told would last 100K miles) and that I would need to replace them. I explained that if both bulbs are turning off at the same time how can it possibly be the bulbs especially if it has happened more than once. They insisted that it was the bulbs. I refused to replace them until further researching and since then I've found many similar cases. Many owners have complained of very early bulb failure and issues with ballasts that require replacing. Today I have 42K miles on the vehicle and at the drivers side bulb fails every time I drive the car, and both bulbs fail about once a week. For bulbs that are being described to last the life of the car, 40,000 miles seems rather short lived.

- Libertyville, IL, USA

Prius

Headlight goes on, then goes off. Won't stay on. I was informed the other one could go out at any time, so I should replace both, at great expense. I was told by Toyota that the hid headlights were covered under the regular warranty, but not the extended warranty. Bulbs (especailly those costing $300) should not burn out or randomly flicker on a two year old vehicle. To prevent future/additional problems, I had to replace both headlights, including the one that was working. This is a definitlely safety issue...I check bulbs regularly, and all are working when I turn the car on. Obviously, I can't check while I'm in motion - which is when they flash off - and was fortunate that both bulbs didn't burn out at the same time, which could have resulted in a crash, injury or accident (or worse) that I would have been liable for.

- Newington, CT, USA

Prius

Hid headlight system failure. Driver side intermittent failure for about a week. On 11/15/2010 passenger side also failed at 7:15 pm leaving us with no operating headlights on a winding country road. Had to return back to house with no headlights, luckilly only 5 minutes into our trip.

- Hardyston, NJ, USA

- Hardyston, NJ, USA

Oct 152010

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius with 33,000 miles experiences intermittent headlight failure. Both left and right side headlights go out at random while driving in any conditions - hot or cold, wet or dry, etc. Turning lights off then on sometimes resolves problem for a short period of time.

- Watertown, MA, USA

Jun 152010

Prius

Toyota Prius headlight defect. The light intermittently shut off. At times it would begin working by turning the lights off and on again, other times it would come on without doing anything and at times it wouldn't come back on at all.

- Plainfield, IN, USA

Nov 122010

Prius

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the headlights malfunctioned upon start-up. The dealer stated that the contact would be responsible for the cost for a new bulb. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were approximately 62,000.

- Saint Helen , OR, USA

Nov 012010

Prius

Toyota Prius headlight problem.

- Novato, CA, USA

Oct 262010

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota Prius hid headlamp goes out after turning on and warming up. Issue and concern is that the lamp appears functional at first and then goes out after some random period of time without any indication to the driver. Seems to be a common issue with the Prius hid lamps. Fixed by replacing bulb.

- Solana Beach, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Prius

Right headlight on 2008 Toyota Prius go out and to get it back on, the lights must be turned off and then on. This may happen several times during a drive.

- Marion, OH, USA

Oct 012010

Prius

At random times the hid headlights on my 08 Toyota Prius will turn off. It happens to both lights but it has never happened to both lights at the same time, which may have caused an accident. The headlights will turn back on if I turn the power switch off and then back on. I have read on the internet that this same problem is happening with alot of Prius models.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Oct 212010

Prius 4-cyl

In January 2010 I began to suspect that the passenger-side high-intensity-discharge(hid) headlight of my 2008 Toyota Prius was not working properly. When driving at night, it seemed like my headlights were not evenly illuminating the road ahead of me. On several occasions I checked my headlights by turning on my vehicle and headlights, but saw both headlights illuminated properly. In early September 2010, I discovered the passengers-side headlight stopped illuminating approximately 5 minutes after turning on the headlights. As the weeks went on, the passenger-side headlight stopped illuminating more quickly. After I discovered the headlight malfunction, I did some online research and found hundreds of people experiencing the same thing. I learned NHTSA looked into the issue and decided not to issue a safety recall. As a result, I decided to wait until my 30,000 check-up to have the dealer look at my headlight. On Oct 21, 2010 I was driving on interstate 238 at night in the pouring rain. I was traveling approximately 60 mph when both headlights simultaneously stopped illuminating. Unable to see the road ahead of me due to the lack of headlights, I could not pull over. I slowed down to 50 mph, turned off the headlights then turned them back on. This caused both headlights to re-illuminate. The passenger side headlight stopped illuminating after about 60 seconds. It is a miracle I did not drive off the road and kill myself or someone else. My vehicle is still under warranty and Toyota is replacing both headlights.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Dec 172009

Prius

On 12/03/09 we were ticketed for a left headlight out on our 2008 Toyota Prius. We didn't know it was out or going out. It looked on to us. Two miles from home it looked as bright as ever. The next morning, as much as we tried, the garage could not find a bulb out, going out, weak, on or off, nothing was wrong! we had a funeral to go to and paid the fine. Two weeks later, a letter was mailed from Toyota listing issues regarding these hid lights stating that these suddenly go out, and on and off, among other things, near the end of their life. My car is a 2008. My husband and I cannot replace these expensive, exotic hid bulbs because access is in a very tight place and the bumper must be removed--seriously!!!! even if we could do it, these hid bulbs cannot be purchased in a normal automotive store. Anyhow, again on 10/17/10 I was several hours out of town, driving home on the interstate, at night, on a weekend, and the other headlight went out!!! I could not put in a new bulb myself. I had no one to call with this exotic hid light and certainly no one that would take off a bumper on the interstate. Sudden, complete light outage at night is a very serious safety issue. On top of this, hid headlamp problem, any light bulb needs to be relatively easy to replace. At $150. Per bulb, very pricey light plus bumper removal labor expense at 1 hour ($288), the Toyota dealership service clerk actually said "you chose this option." Help before someone gets killed on one of these dark roads (chances are this has occurred with no one alive to know this was the cause)!!!

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 222010

Prius

One of our headlamps began to fail intermittently without any apparent cause. The failure occurred on a frequent basis (25-75% of the time) but could not be caused. The dealer recommended we replace both bulbs due to the expense of removing the bumper which is required. The dealer claimed that it is normal for this type of hid bulb to fail at this time in the life of the vehicle.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Oct 152010

Prius

Both of the front headlights on our 2008 Toyota Prius went out, simultaneously, while driving at night. Although quite frightening, fortunately, the incident happened on a well lit street at a slow speed and we were able to reach our destination safely. If this had occurred on a curvy road, darker area, etc. The results may have been deadly. Since both headlights went out, our assumption was that the issue was electrical or perhaps a blown fuse. We took the vehicle to a Toyota dealership where we were told, without inspection, that this was a known problem and that the headlights were defective. Furthermore, we were told that the problem is not covered under our extended warranty and we are expected to pay for the replacement bulbs, estimated at ~$500. It is extremely disappointing that Toyota is aware of this issue, has not notified its customers of the hazard, and has not recalled the part. At this point, we have no choice but to replace the bulbs immediately and at our expense, as we understand it is not safe to drive without headlights.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jun 152010

Prius

2008 Toyota Prius hid lights go out at night. Started to happen around 50K miles. I replaced the passenger side hid twice. The first time, it fixed the problem for several months. Now, after about 10 minutes, it turns off. Turning the lights off then on will bring the light back on, sometimes for minutes, often for seconds.

- Delhi, CA, USA

Oct 052010

Prius

Passenger side headlight is not working on our 2008 Toyota Prius. It takes the very expensive hid bulbs. I do not know how long the bulb has not been working as it works for a minute then goes out. The vehicle has 38000 miles on it. A dealership has recommended replacing both bulbs at the same time to save money.

- Navarre, FL, USA