2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 24)

Oct 202014

Driving at night the head lights went out, could have been killed. Had to turn headlights on and off for them to work. Took car to dealer, said it might cost 1,000S of dollars to figure out what is wrong. Sounds like a recall, now I can't drive my car at night!!! : (

- West Orange, NJ, USA

May 052016

One light randomly went off. Then as we were driving (at night) both front and back lights went off, both high and low beams. Only the flashers and fog lights worked. We called for a tow ($120) and as they were unloading the car at home, the lights came back on again. So it's not a bulb, not a fuse. I found out online that this is a known problem.

- Point Harbor, NC, USA

Apr 272016

While driving, high intensity headlights are unreliable - each side randomly turns off. This is a dangerous issue.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 042016

I have had to replace 6 headlamps on this vehicle. The first two failures were covered under warranty but the problem persists. I now have had to replace 4 other lamps at a cost of about $330 for each lamp. Toyota has not responded. There are many complaints from other Prius owners having the same issue.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 112016

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 50 mph, the headlights failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the headlights needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- Pegram, TN, USA

Mar 242016

Front left light will randomly turn off. Sometimes it occurs after making a turn. Light will sometimes come back on if you turn them off, then turn them back on.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Jan 082016

Prius 4-cyl

This is the intermittent headlight issue for 2008 Toyota Prius' a front headlight will go out, and if you turn off an on the lights, they both come back on. This first happened to me a few months back. The only suggestion to fix this is from Toyota which is to take the car to a dealer and for $550 they take off the bumper (do some trick), and put in new bulbs. Instead, I spent $180 for 2 new bulbs, and replaced them myself (without taking off the bumper and doing the trick), and it worked for 2 weeks before 1 or the other bulb intermittently goes off. At least they are brighter now, though this is 1) a safety issue as the lights act unpredictably, and 2) replacing headlights is on the order of changing a tire or windshield wipers. It's like changing a light bulb, no?! the real issue is the ballasts which as I understand it regulate the lights. These are not easy (for me) to fix. This only seems to happen on some cars, and I think that Toyota should replace the ballasts when this comes up. All the back and forth has left me with not great headlights (going off randomly) for 2 months now while I've been trying to figure this out. I hardly see why I should pay $550 at a dealer, when I'm not even sure that will fix the issue. I have requested Toyota (national) should fix the issue whatever it is (not have me keep going back for estimates and submitting them). Thank you.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 122014

Headlights are malfunctioning while I am driving making it extremely dangerous.. I live in a canyon and drive alot at night and have almost had some extreamly deadly collisions due to this issue not only that but have spent a insane amount of money in court fees and fix it tickets

- Topanga, CA, USA

Jun 302015

Front left headlight suddenly goes out while driving or stationary but will come back on once I turn headlights off then on again. Happens constantly - at least 2-3 times per hour while I'm driving. I have to constant turn my lights off then on again to get the headlight to come back on. Nothing is wrong with the bulb - it is not burned out or dim - the whole headlight just turns off. This problem has been on-going since I purchased the car in June of 2015 and happens every time I drive it during the night. It is extremely dangerous - what if my other headlight goes out, too?

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Feb 032016

I've got a 2008 Prius. One of the headlights keeps going out. I can't really tell when or how it goes out since I can't see it. I'll notice it when I see the reflection in the back of another car. If I turn the bright lights on and off it has no effect, but when I turn them all the way off and back on the light comes back. Sometimes on long trips it will stay on the whole time, sometimes it won't. sometimes on short trips it will go out, sometimes it won't. it is not an event I can make happen.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 052015

Headlights go completely out or the right headlight goes out...both situations are randomly occurring. I was driving on the beach line hwy. In Florida, at night, on my way to the orlando airpirt, when my headlights went completely out. The beach lineis a 2 lane hwy. With no center barrier or median, no exterior lighting, and cars coming from the opposite direction going 60+ mph. Needless to say, it was a "white knuckle" experience. I thought that there was only something wrong with my car, but when I recently researched thus problem, I became aware that it effects 2006-2009 Prius's. why hasn't there been a forced recall on Toyota to fix this serious safety issue? it needs to be addressed!

- Menfon, MA, USA

Dec 152015

Headlight went out on highway at 65 mph at night.was very dark and created a blind spot on the left side of the car. I now find that Toyota knew about this and tells me to just turn the lights off and on and the headlight will come back on, thats fun at 60-70 mph. Very dangerous.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Feb 032016

Driving down a highway at 10:30pm and my headlights just failed. Both of them off! no warning, just black. I turned off the light switch and back on, they lite up again bright for about 2seconds then dimmed a little and 30 seconds later, off again. This continued for about then minutes; off, bright, dim, off, etc...then only one light stayed on for the remainder of my 20 mile drive home. Thank goodness it was a relatively straight road and not very busy but there are no street lights or bill boards on this road so when the lights went was very dark.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

Sep 012015

Right headlight flickers and intermittently turns off and on. About a week ago both headlights turned off while driving. This has happened 2X in the past week and half. Luckily we turn them off then on and they have come back on each time. We have had the right headlight fixed several other times also. I just heard about the issues that other people have had which is why I am just now pursuing this.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Jan 012016

While driving on the highway at night, the left headlight will go out. I turn the headlight switch off and back on and the left headlight comes on again. However, within a few minutes it goes out again. This happens repeatedly. One time both headlights went off at the same time. I'm reporting this because it is an issue that many Prius driver's have had so seems to be a design problem. This issue has occurred many times and seems to be a permanent problem now.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Jan 162016

The hid headlights on my 2008 Toyota Prius touring model have numerous critical safety problems. The headlights go out completely and randomly at any time while driving. I have been thrown into complete blackness on windy country roads. I have had several vehicles swerve to avoid me as I have swerved to avoid cars, trees, curbs, poles etc. Furthermore, the lights are very dim causing further driving difficulty and danger with even worse performance in inclement weather. I have become very anxious and the lights going on and off distract and worry other drivers. It is so bad that I risk my life by driving the car at night.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jan 092016

When driving home on highway just after dark, both headlights went out simultaneously without driver interaction. Headlight switch was still on, untouched. Visibility outward as well as other vehicles seeing me (black Prius at night without lights) severely impaired, could easily have caused an accident. Pulled over and turned headlight switch off, then back on; lights came on bright and immediately dimmed, apparently normal. Checked online and found a number of similar (escalating) occurrences by others, without a recall yet by Toyota. After pulling over and stopping

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jul 012009

Constant headlight bulb replacement - serious safety issue - while driving on the highway a headlight bulb will go out; first on one side then the other side. Bulb replacement has occurred every couple of months for several years now. What happens if both headlights go out at the same time"?? I loose time from work to have the replacements done. Why has there been no recall"

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Oct 252015

The headlights on my 2008 Toyota Prius turn off sporadically sometimes one sometimes both very dangerous at night because they both turned off so I need to get ahold of somebody and see what I need to do to get this problem solved my name is janet cuaron and the phone number to reach me at is 505-489-8951. The lights turn off in all weather on country roads of the free way.

- Belen, NM, USA

Dec 192015

This month, when leaving for a trip, I noticed the passenger side headlamp was out. I planned on replacing it when I returned. Upon returning, the headlamp has mysteriously come back on. I researched intermittent headlamp problems with my car and found out many others have had the same issue. I'm now not sure if the problem is the headlamp or some circuit.

- Los Osos, CA, USA