2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 5 of 24)

Jul 042011

Prius 4-cyl

The headlight on the right side of the car goes out while driving. It comes back on when I turn the headlight off and turn them back on again. The headlight will go off again at different speeds. The headlight may go off multiple times when driving. This is a very large safety concern.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Oct 042010

Prius 4-cyl

We have had problems with passenger side headlight it will go off by its self with out us knowing but we could turn lights off then turn them back on and it will stay on for awhile we had Toyota replace light last year and it was fine for approx. 6 months and then started doin same thing again finally last week it went out and will not come on at all I know of several other Prius owners with same problem would greatly appreciate your help!

- Rougemont, NC, USA

Oct 012012

Prius 4-cyl

I leave my headlights on all of the time. Sometimes when I am driving my Prius the left headlight will go out. If I turn the headlights off and then back on the light will come back on again. Sometimes restarting the car will make the headlight come on. Also the headlight sometimes is off when the car is started. Same thing, turn headlights off and then on or restart the car and the headlight comes back on. I thought I might need a new headlight but was involved in a car accident (8-13-14) and the headlight was damaged. I now have a new headlight assembly but the problem has returned. The dealer has told me twice (including today) that I need a new headlight. I do not think that is the problem. This is a major concern for me as this frequently occurs when I am traveling on an interstate at a high rate of speed. I will not turn my lights off and back on at 60 mph. Please investigate.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 202014

Prius 4-cyl

The first time both lights went out, we were traveling South on I-95 near richmond, va. Prior to this, we thought the lights had dimmed a couple times, but when we checked them, they were fine. There is no mistake when you loose both headlights while on high beam, there are no fog lights, so it gets very dark. I think going to low beam gave us some light (the fog lights) but do not remember, I then turned the light switch off and back on immediately, which turned the lights back on. Since that first incident of them both going out, we have seen both the driver's side headlight alone, the passenger side headlight alone, and at least half a dozen times both lights go out at the same time. All but once, turning the light switch off and then on turned the lights back on. The last time both went out, I had to turn the switch off and back on several times to get the lights back on. With a cost of over $200 per light, I decided to change the passenger side light and see if that light would stay on. It made no difference. I found in the user's manual that low voltage could cause the high intensity discharge (hid) lights to go out, so I had aaa check the engine battery. The test showed the battery was good, but it only had 364 cold cranking amps so I had a new battery put in. We were told by two other sources that the right battery had 450 cold crank amps so I thought that might account for the hid light problem. That was just a few days ago, and the passenger side headlight has still gone out several times since the bulb and battery were replaced. So far, we have not had both lights go out again.

- Livingstion, TX, USA

Jan 152010

Prius 4-cyl

While driving down the highway, the left headlight quit working. We took it to the dealer, and it was working fine again. This happened several times over the next few months before the dealership finally admitted that it was a known problem that was going to be handled under recall. I asked that they fix it now, and they advised I would have to pay the cost and then possibly be reimbursed as I was past the 36,000 mile limit for bumper to bumper repairs....a cost of nearly $1,100 to fix 1 headlight on a 2 year old car. I refused, and the intermittent outages continued, and progressively got worse. Then the right headlight started doing the same thing. I am rolling the dice every night I drive the car as I cannot afford to spend $2,000 or more to fix headlights on a car with a known defect that dramatically puts me, my family, and everyone else on the road at risk of catastrophe. Toyota has stated this will not be handled as a recall as it deems it to not be a safety issue as you still have 1 working headlight. That is untrue, as mine have gone out simultaneously several times.

- Beaver Falls, PA, USA

May 162014

Prius 4-cyl

My Toyota Prius has hid headlights. Both the left and right headlights randomly stop working. At times however, both lights go out at the same time while driving. This creates a very dangerous situation while driving at night. The lights will typically come back on if I toggle the lights off and back on. I've read that there was a class action suit against Toyota for this very issue. I contacted a Toyota dealership and they recommended I replace the headlights, at considerable cost. But in my research it seems that the problem persists with many people even after their hid bulbs were replaced. Why there has not been a recall for this baffles me. I'm wondering who had to die before it becomes a national issue.

- Dalton, NY, USA

Oct 072014

Prius 4-cyl

On 10/7/14 I arrived home after work and noticed my right headlight was out. It was dark and I don't know when the light failed. Over the next few days, I did not notice the light failing, however, I am very concerned that it will happen again, based on the numerous other complaints filed (and not filed). This is a huge safety concern for me. I live in los angeles and, as my car is black and if my headlights are out I am at risk of being hit in this very congested city.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 102014

Prius 4-cyl

I have recently discovered that my headlights do not work consistently. Sometimes the left is out. Sometimes the right. Sometimes neither. It is very scary to think about driving at night when I cannot be confident of the headlights. In trying to learn about this problem I discovered it has been widely reported but there has been no recall. I am extremely concerned as I have to travel a long distance at night. I purchased a Toyota because of it's excellent reputation. Now I'm wondering if my confidence was misplaced.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 182013

Prius 4-cyl

Starting in June 2013 our Prius headlights would intermittently and unpredictably go out. It's difficult to tell at times but mostly this occurred on the left headlight. In January 2014 the problem was occurring regularly rather than sporadically so I had both hid lights replaced at a cost of $389.30. This seemed to temporarily resolve the problem but it has started again this time with both headlights turning off randomly. This is a definite safety hazard as it requires me to turn the light switch off then back on again to get the lights to turn back on. I have recently had to do this several times on a drive of 10' duration. I have read that this is a problem with many Prius vehicles with the hid lights.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Oct 012013

Both headlights intermittently fail and recover when switch is cycled. Cannot drive vehicle at night.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Sep 072014

Prius 4-cyl

Driving down the road and the headlights just go out, after flipping the lights off and on, they come back on.

- Swartz Creek, MI, USA

Aug 022013

Prius 4-cyl

Intermittent hid headlight failure. Headlights - passenger and/or driver side headlight goes out. Turning off the headlights and turning them back on restored the light, however, the lights will again intermittently failed on a longer/shorter trip, this has been occurring repeatedly and I don't feel comfortable driving during night time. It is dangerous and terrifying. There needs to be a recall again asap. I understand there was a recall in the past for similar reasons but not sure what is the status now. I bought this car privately from original owner (who bought brand new from dealer) and they mentioned that this problem was brought to attention of Toyota dealer in danvers, MA (ira Toyota) but they could not diagnose the cause. I looked around and found that this problem is known to Toyota but wondering how dealer didn't know about it. The information can be found at link I am looking forward to hear back from Toyota or somebody who could help me fix this problem and help me drive my vehicle safely.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Sep 282011

Prius 4-cyl

Intermittent hid headlight failure. Headlights - passenger and/or driver side headlight goes out. Replaced headlight bulbs (2X) - this did not fix the problem. Turning off the headlights and turning them back on restores the light, however, the lights will again intermittently fail. On a longer trip, this can occur repeatedly.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Prius 4-cyl

Well driving 65mph on freeway both headlights went off. Turning them off and on 2X worked. It happened 2 more times within 20min. I stopped driving and have not drove at night since. Luckily there was a car close both times. It was dangerous and terrifying. There needs to be a recall asap.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Jun 012014

Prius 4-cyl

The right headlight and sometimes both headlights go out randomly on our 2008 Toyota Prius. This is extremely frightening! I have learned to quickly turn the headlights off and then right back on. Sometimes this takes care of the problem, sometimes for a short while, sometimes longer. Sometimes I have to pull over and fiddle with the light switch until I, once again, have headlights! since I used to leave my headlights on all of the time, day or night, I did not realize, at first, that I was having a problem. I would just think "wow, it's really dark out here!" the headlight icon on the dashboard always indicated that my lights were on, so I thought everything was fine. I had to wait until I got home to have my husband check the lights. Sometimes they worked properly so it took us a long time to figure out that we have a big problem. Our local Toyota dealer gave us the run around and acted as is they knew nothing about a headlight problem, told us to come right in and they would replace the headlights for either $8 or $12 each with no labor cost; and then changed and said they would fix the problem for $526! I said, "no, thanks!" and went to see another local shop which specializes in Toyota. They suggested that we look on the internet to see if there were any recalls relating to this problem. While no recalls are listed yet, I found many complaints from Toyota Prius owners stating exactly the same problem we are having. Please help all of us! suddenly having no headlights while driving in a poorly lit area is causing me grave (pun intended!) concerns! I try not to drive at night or in the rain, but I am not always able to avoid doing so. I am very frightened and would like to have my headlights fixed, but not at highway robbery prices! having headlights go out after only 6 years seems like a very short time to me, compared to the other cars we have owned!

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

May 102014

Prius 4-cyl

Right head light would go off on it's own. Light was replaced by dealer about a year ago. Now both headlights go out!!!!!!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 172014

Both of my cars headlights turn off intermittently and for no reason (the bulbs and ballasts have been replaced and are in working order). I will be driving down the road at night (interstate 70mph) and occasionally both headlights will just turn off. I have almost gotten in a wreck multiple times due to the fact I'm driving at night and out of nowhere my lights go out. This is a huge safety issue. When looking this up online, I'm not the only person with my year/make/model that is having this issue. This has been happening on and off since my vehicle was at 75,000 miles. Last night specifically I almost got in a wreck going 70mph on the interstate because of it. Many times I can turn the headlights off and back on again and one or both will work again.

- Live Oak, FL, USA

Jun 012014

Prius 4-cyl

While driving, the left hid headlight went off. Turning the lights off and then on allowed the left headlight to come back on. This problem has happened over a several week period. Headlight illumination is suddenly cut in half without any warning. This seems like a safety recall item to me.

- Brandon, SD, USA

May 012014

Prius 4-cyl

Low beam headlights have failed. Drivers right headlight fails mostly, but left headlight fails about 33% of the time. I have lost both headlights after a while and is extremely dangerous at night! we have had to stop driving at night because headlights will not stay on past 5 mins. I have looked into the class action lawsuit and at 60000 miles I do not qualify for the settlement. I am very concerned with the safety of my family. I hope Toyota finds a real fix for this problem, or the 1000+ dollar fix will be for nothing. At this point I have lost faith in Toyota and I hope this issue is addressed properly.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Nov 302011

Hid headlights have failed twice on driver side and twice on passenger side. We continue to replace the bulbs and they continue to fail.

- San Jose, CA, USA