8.3

2. replace lights (8 reports)
2008 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Aug 012014

Prius 1.5L

This has happened several times over the past three years. There needs to be a recall to fix this!

- , Jamestown, OH, USA

May 282014

Prius 5dr HB Touring 4-cyl

I let my daughter take my 2008 Prius to California where she just got a new job. She kept telling me her friends would tell her she was driving behind them and her head light was out. She took it to a shop and they said it wasn't out. She came home (Texas) to visit and told me about the problem. I had her turn on the lights and they worked. Last Wednesday night returning home from friends house she got pulled over by Highway Patrol and got a warning ticket for the same headlight out. She got home and noticed it out. Shut off engine then started back and light came on!

I looked on line to see if there was a problem or recall and noticed that there were many complaints of this same problem with this year model Prius. Having your light go out at night while driving is very unsafe- especially if it is your precious daughter at the wheel. Very Unsafe! Toyota needs to fix this before someone gets killed! At this time there's nothing I can do! Getting a new headlight will not fix! Come on Toyota- do the right thing!

- , Mount Peasant, TX, USA

Nov 132013

Prius

My headlights on my Prius randomly flicker off for no reason; sometimes the left one; usually the right one, and every once in a while, they both go off.

When I turn of the headlight and turn it back on, the light(s) come back on; sometimes for 1 second, sometimes for a few minutes; sometimes for a bit longer; but then it eventually flicks back off again and I have to do that over and over and it is very dangerous, as it is a distraction while driving to have to suddenly be flicking lights on and off...

This is a major safety issue. I live in the mountains on curvy streets, and the lights have gone off, and luckily I am a ninja and quickly turned the lights back on before flying off of the cliff, but I am scared to let my wife drive my car at night as she is not quite as much of a ninja...

After calling Toyota, they are saying this is NOT a safety issue, and that I have to go pay a bunch of money to fix this. I have now researched this online, and have found this to be a common problem out there, and it is strange that it is not considered a recall. Here are some links below that I have researched:

- , Malibu, CA, USA

Jan 152014

Prius

As like many other Toyota prius owners I've had issues with my VERY expensive headlights going off and on.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Aug 012013

Prius Prius

HEADLIGHT FAILURE! These headlights are supposed to last a very long time... says the dealership but this is headlight failure and that means I should have to pay 260.00 to fix the light so I can drive safely. I BELIEVE THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL FOR SAFETY REASONS FIRST OF ALL.

I have been pulled over twice for this by the police. The light fades out but when I turn them off and on again the light works for a while then fades out again. Very dangerous. Toyota insists that I have to pay $260.00 for replacement of this headlight. I AM APPALLED and I believe an attorney should help us, the consumer, out after all we are helping our environment in many ways by purchasing this vehicle and Toyota says themselves that it is a headlight failure and should not have happened!!!!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP US.

- , Braintree, MA, USA

Sep 252013

Prius Sedan 1.5L 4 cyl

I started noticing both of my headlights intermittantly go out when they on. It's sporadic for both of them and they don't go off at the same time. The right front intermittently flickers on and off on occasion also. While I've never had both go out at the same time while driving, one or the other has gone off which is annoying and not safe.

- , Waukesha, WI, USA

Sep 012013

Prius

I see there are many complaints on line about this issue.

What suggestions do people have regarding getting this fixed by dealer/Toyota?

- , Columbia, MD, USA

Jan 282013

Prius Senergy Hybrid

Someone would call to my attention that my right front light was out. I would tell my wife, she would check and it would be on. After this happening repeatedly called my dealer and said they would check it out when next I brought it in. Of course, it worked fine. They told me they checked it all out and could fine no problems with the lights.

- , Marlborough, MA, USA

Mar 012013

Prius Touring

The day I took my prius in to have 4 new tires put on, I was told by the service person at the dealer that my headlight needed to be replaced. He explained that water had gotten int the headlight and caused it to go out. He stated that it could cost up to $1,200 to replace. I have been trying to find a salvaged one as I've been told it would reduce the cost by 50 percent.

- , Seminole, FL, USA

Dec 152012

Prius

Prius has consistently had a headlight or taillight out every six months since I drove it off the lot brand new. Whenever I took it into the dealership to be looked at, they claimed I was crazy and that there wasn't a problem with the car. When I shared this with the police officer that repeatedly pulled me over for a missing light, he went with me to the dealership and told them that indeed the car had a severe lighting issue. Despite the officer's statement, and four years of complaints from me, the dealership would not cover the bad lights under warranty, and charged me around $2000 to replace lights in that time. I will never buy another Toyota from that dealership, and will be very hesitant to ever buy another Toyota, period.

- , Richland,, MI, USA

Feb 202013

Prius

Both headlights go out while driving. Turning them off and on works. Really awfull!

- , Schenectady, NY, USA

Jan 132013

Prius Touring 1.5l4 Fi Dohc 16v

From checking the internet this appears to be a recurring and very dangerous problem with the HID headlights. It's expensive and there is a class action suit underway but Toyota, having long known of this problem, should have had and still should have a recall. The only reason that they haven't recalled them is because of the money involved. This shows that they do not have a proper sense of corporate accountability. If they persist in this behavior they will lose my business forever. I recently got a recall notice on this same car for the steering intermediate extension shaft and the hybrid electric water pump which they will fix but if they think that the headlight problem is less important they are nuts. The lights go out without warning and for a few seconds leave you driving blind. They are opening themselves up to huge lawsuits if people are injured or killed especially since they openly admit to knowing of this problem from tens of thousands of customers. If they had a half a brain they'd just bite the bullet and repair the problem before it really costs them as well as the health and lives of customers.

- , Dover-Foxcroft, Maine, USA

Oct 012012

Prius

My non HID headlights on my Prius are having the EXACT same issue that I see others having with their HID lights. They intermittently turn themselves off. The solution is to switch the lights off and on again and they come back on. This has happened at least twice while driving at night (both lights went out). Once, while following my husband home, he told me I had one headlight out. I have no idea how many times this could be occurring during the day.

I took the car to a Toyota dealership and they acted like they had no idea what in the world the problem could be and would have to run their $120.00 diagnostic test before they could tell me anything. I found that completely unacceptable since they know that thousands of other Prius owners are experiencing the identical problem.

- , Georgetown, TX, USA

Mar 312012

Prius 1nz-Fxe

In March 2012, someone told me that my right headlight was out. However, when I got home and looked at the lights, the right headlight was on. It goes off and on intermittently. When it goes off while I'm driving, often if I turn the headlights on and off again, the right headlight will be working again. I'm told that the problem is with one of 2 bulbs involved in the headlight, one costing $20, the other $300+. It's the $300+ bulb that is the problem and must be purchased through Toyota.

- , Pacifica, CA, USA

Aug 202012

Prius

Passenger side headlight went out in November, tried to replace bulb myself, took it to Firestone - they said to take it to the dealer, took to Conicelli and it was fixed FREE, told it was "under warranty". Recently, trouble w/ driver side headlight, called for an appointment. Told it's not under warranty. Looked up lawsuit on internet but Toyota's deal was no blame/no recall but 5 years 50,000 extended warranty. But in November, I had 60,000 miles. Called Conicelli, they said they did it as a courtesy! Well, why did you lie to me? If you told me it wasn't covered but you were doing it anyway, I would be still singing your praises!! Made me wonder why the ommision of the facts? So I took it to Tri-County Toyota, cost $211., out in about 15 minutes. Now from what I read, this can happen again and again. UGH! why no recall? Opened case at Toyota, was told that if enough people open cases, that may create a recall. So if you love your Prius but are having this issue with cars over 50,000 miles, make a case too!!

- , Pottstown, PA, USA

Jun 112012

Prius LX 3.2L

your wife & children are driving in the country it's pitch black out and the headlights go out 3 different times I took it to the dealer they said it will cost $500.00 to replace the headlamps I am ticked if i don't get some good positive results from toyota I'm going to dump the car and go back to US cars.

- , Clarkston, Mich, USA

Sep 112011

Prius Touring

Periodically, beginning sometime in the summer of 2011, either the left headlight, or both headlights, will randomly turn off. Turning the headlights on and off will usually fix the problem, but only temporarily. It doesn't seem to matter is the car is moving or standing still when the lights go off. Because we travel frequently, this can be a serious safety hazard when driving on a highway. We are now scheduling our driving so that we can avoid as much night driving as possible. I'm not willing to be soaked by the dealership to have this problem repaired.

- , Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Mar 032011

Prius

My 2008 Toyota Prius headlights go off spontaneously over the past year. It is dangerous and embarrassing. I like the car, but this is a deal breaker if Toyota does not have the integrity to fix it. I know there are thousands of other complaints. If it were a minor issue, I could see them being resistant, but this is a serious safety issue.

- , Cave Creek, AZ, USA

Jun 152010

Prius HY

Toyota dealer did not acknowledge problem in 2010 with 45k..now both headlights are going off without warning. Turning off and on switch is not a safe fix to the problem at 70 mph on Interstate or anywhere else. Toyota needs to recall all Prius regardless of age or mileage for fixing the problem permanently.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA