2008 Toyota Prius wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Prius:

2008 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Dec 152014

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving my Prius with 130,000 miles last night in a residential neighborhood featuring a counterclockwise, (left-hand) moderate curve. The "circle" ended at an intersection where I was to make a right turn. I turned my steering to the right to cancel the counterclockwise trajectory, but my front wheels seemed to be "locked" in the left turning motion. I slammed the brakes, but could not stop the car from climbing the curb and sideswiping a tree, causing my driver's side front wheel to be shoved backward towards the driver door in the wheel frame. My car is now at a body shop with an agreed $5600 in damage, mostly to the steering assembly, suspension, and wheel/axle. The wheel panel above the wheel will be replaced, and scratches on the front bumper and driver door will be repaired. Work is scheduled to be completed by January 5. I believe that the condition which caused the steering to lock in a left-turn condition without warning on a dry road is a serious manufacturing defect for which I should be reimbursed.fortunately, there was no traffic and no injuries, and even the tree seems unscathed. This could have been tragic on an interstate or in congested high speed traffic. I have been pleased with my Prius' performance to this point, but believe that Toyota has responsibility for this matter as evidenced by steering related recalls on similar vintage Prius models. I request full reimbursement for my repair, mindful that these expenses could be a lot higher had this failure occurred under different circumstances. I had previously submitted this information to a Toyota inquiry website and have not received an acknowledgement or response form Toyota.

- Blue Point, NY, USA

Jul 182012

Prius

As of 11/2014 there has been a total of 3 wheel bearing issues with my 2008 Toyota Prius. The first occurred in 2012(right rear) and the other two occurred in 2014(both front). This is a real safety concern, since it can cause the wheel to seize and cause a major accident. There is an obvious defect in Toyota's wheel bearings for three to fail on one vehicle and the first failing at only 70,000 miles. Toyota has refused to pay for the $1700 in repairs. There should be a recall because if the wheel seizes or falls off this can cause fatalities. Toyota should look into why one of there factories is producing defective sub-par wheel bearings.

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Apr 242014

Prius

We have had two catastrophic failures of Continental pro contact tires (195/55-16) - one on 12/11/2012 (right front) and one on 04/24/2014 (left front). Both tires had been in service less than 5,000 miles, were correctly inflated and in no way misused. No road obstacle has hit - the tires simply disintegrated after a few seconds of tire pressure warning light indication. Both look as though a tiger saw had been used to cut around the circumference where the sidewall turns to meet the tread.

- Cheverly, MD, USA

Jun 122010

Prius

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Prius. While driving at an unknown speed in rainy weather, the vehicle hydroplaned and crashed into a curb. The front passenger wheel detached from the vehicle. The police arrived to assist on scene. A police report was available. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the damages were being repaired. The vehicle was not diagnosed for the cause of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 22,800.

- Norwalk, CT, USA