2.2

2009 Toyota Prius lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Prius:

2009 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

May 012015

Prius

The hid lights have become intermittent. First the left one would randomly go off and then later come back on, on more than one occasion. More recently the right one is showing the same behavior.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Mar 112015

Prius

Both headlights go out without warning when driving down the highway.

- Stanwood, WA, USA

Apr 302013

Prius 4-cyl

Headlights intermittently fail. Bulbs are ok. Headlight can be restarted by turning them off then back on. A dangerous situation!

- Mclean, VA, USA

Apr 172013

Prius 4-cyl

About two years ago one or another of my headlights would go off intermittently. When I turned the switch off and back on, they'd both be on. This was irritating but it was random and sporadic enough that I didn't take it in for service until both lights started going off in recent weeks. I then discovered on the internet the history and extent of this problem. The service people at the dealership only indicated that this problem had occurred with the 2005-2009 Prius but weren't forthcoming with other background information. $500 later I have new lights. My plan is to have "problems" with them every 11 months as long as I own the car, if they don't go off on their own, so that I can get the problem fixed under the dealer's 12 month warranty. Fortunately, most of my driving is downtown in a large city where other lighting is available. I did think whenever I was on the freeway at night I'd better have the lights checked. Although there apparently isn't a body count with this problem, or is there?, it certainly would have been helpful to have received some written information from Toyota or NHTSA that this problem is pervasive and could be very dangerous.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jan 282015

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota Prius 2009 headlights were on and off finally the left side went off totally. The seal outside the headlight didn't prevent of water came into the system and damaged it. Also while driving the car accelerated and decelerated by itself. And while stopping the car jump.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Prius 4-cyl

My passenger headlight will turn off while I am driving. Now both headlights will turn off at once. Usually one will come back on. This is very dangerous! this began in January 2013.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 022015

Prius

2/14/2015 as I was checking my vehicle I saw a lot of condensation in the drivers side hid headlight assembly. After researching I saw this is a common problem with subsequent problems of headlights going on and off with no warning. The headlight seal problem is a common issue and there was a class action lawsuit. Unfortunately it ended 2011 and I didn't know at that time I would experience the issue at a later date. There should be a recall for this $400 plus repair. The part alone is $375.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Jan 022012

Prius 4-cyl

I purchased this 2009 Prius from my elderly parents who didn't drive at night so the hid issue was not discovered until after warranty. My wife and I were driving at night in Jan. 2012 and both headlights went out. I called Toyota (limbaugh and hoover) in birmingham, al. About the safety issue and they said they weren't aware of any issues and Toyota had no recall. At this point, I'm out approximately $400 and my time and the issue keeps coming back. Can you please help? thank you.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Nov 282014

Prius 4-cyl

Driver's side headlight will go out without warning. Later the light will go out again. The headlight has been replaced as well as the amplifier. The new light bulb was left on for 3 hours while car was parked but then when it was driven, the light went out again.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Jun 032014

Prius

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the headlights failed without warning. The contact deactivated and activated the headlight switch and the headlights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Dec 142011

Prius 4-cyl

My 2009 Prius has headlights that intermittently flicker or extinguish at random times. Sometimes the right headlight will extinguish, sometimes it's the left headlight, and sometimes both extinguish at the same time. Some times the light(s) come back on without any action, and sometimes it is necessary to turn the headlight switch off and right back on. To date, the lights have resumed normal operation when they are turned on and off, at least so far it has worked every time. This can be extremely dangerous and frightening especially on the freeway or a mountain road. This phenomenon seems to be increasing in its frequency of occurrence. Why hasn't Toyota been forced to recall the Prius for this life threatening safety issue? I was told by the Toyota dealer that it's a bad filament in the headlight, I've never seen a filament behave that way.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Prius

Headlight goes out randomly and requires the headlights to be turned off then on.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Sep 172014

Prius

Headlight will intermittantly go out. Turns back on when lights are turned off and on but keeps recurring with no warning.

- Mount Vernon, IA, USA

Aug 092014

Prius 4-cyl

Passenger head light started flickering on and off, I pulled over turned car off then back on, head light came on but was dim. I don't do much night driving and this was very concerning. I still have this issue, and have now found on line that this should be a safety recall. Up to $400 to fix, just for a head light. You got to be kidding. As soon as the other head light starts acting up as well I won't be able to drive at night. I don't have $800-$1000 to replace head light. This is a real safety issue. There needs to be a recall.

- Carrollton , TX, USA

Oct 082014

Prius 4-cyl

Driving on a dark road I went from high beams to low and the entire lighting system went out. I was quick so cycled the headlight switch, everything came back on but the passenger headlight. Tried replacing the light bulb, it still wont work. I paid extra for these H I D headlights. Now I'm told 1000 dollars to fix them.

- Lakehughes, CA, USA

Dec 312012

Prius 4-cyl

I had just purchased my 2009 Toyota Prius the evening of Friday December 28th 2012 and had only driven that weekend. Then on the 31st I noticed when I was pulling into a gas station I had only one headlight working... didn't think to much about it. Then when I was leaving noticed that both lights were on working. A few hours later I noticed a flicker like a light was going out. Noticed again passenger headlight was going out.. I had the car back at the shop over a battery issue on January 2nd as my battery had suddenly died. When I took it up to Toyota I mentioned the headlight was told oh nothing they can see. Then months later it continued. Then again every now and then.. I would flip the lights on and off and sometimes it wouldn't do it again for months... then in Sept 2013 it started to do it on both sides. Again contacted Toyota nothing. Then my teenager daughter had the car and called me hysterical saying no headlights were on. She had just gotten her license days prior. Her first outing without me. Then again battery issue went back to Toyota was told not a clue. Now reading the info I've come across with 2001-2009 Prius headlight issues I'm pissed that Toyota is aware of this and lied and said theyhad not heard of such a thing. Now October 2014 I am no longer able to drive the car in the rain or at night. As I now have no headlights. I find this a major safety issue and considering how many people have stated this and the fact someone can be killed or injured seriously as one overlooks I think is a major serious issue and concern. I am not paying to have headlights replaced or electrical issues as this is something that needs to be recalled and fixed by Toyota.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Aug 182014

Prius

The hid headlights started to flicker and went off. Repeatedly happened. First the passenger side then the driver side. I had the hid headlights replaced two days ago. The passenger headlight was still dimmed, the driver's side seemed fine. Today, the driver's side went off again and won't turn back on. The passenger side is still working, but dimmed.

- Malibu, CA, USA

Aug 192014

Prius 4-cyl

There has been no injuries or vehicle damage. I left off total repair cost because the repair shop has not finished solving the problem. In 2013 I started have having headlight problems and have it about three months since. I have replaced the headlight bulbs several times on both sides. One time the headlights would operate opposite( one side would be high beam only and the other would be low beam only and when switching the switch inside to high beam the headlights would switch as to what they did only. On wed 8/20/14 the low beam quit working. I earlier purchased a new plug and 2 new bulbs in case I had a problem. I took the car to an independent repair shop( my only Toyota dealer in my town can not be trusted) where I live. He installed the new plug and we tried each of the two new bulbs and they exhibited the same problem - the low beam was just a spec of light; not enough for the low beam. He tested the voltage in the ground side of the plug and the fuse position in the fuse assembly and it lit up his voltage tester with a spec of light. He had no idea what system sent the voltage to the low beam side for the passenger side headlight. I am taking the car back on wed 8/27/14 to finish the job.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Jul 302014

Prius 4-cyl

Left front headlight began to flicker, then failed completely on highway while driving at night. Taken in for repair on 8/2/14. Was told that entire hid assembly unit and computer sub-assy had to be replace.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 122014

Prius 4-cyl

While driving at night, both headlights, without warning went out. Immediately, I pulled to the side of the road and turned the headlight switch to off. Then, paused a moment before relighting them, unfortunately relighting them normally failed. So again, I worked with the switch, only to discover that these would relight if and on if I held the lights on using the 'dimmer mode' to bright the road. Unfortunately, mine like others, is unpredictable at best - so reproducing this incident 'on demand' is difficult at best. In reading other consumer complaints, this seems to be an ongoing and costly problem. After further review, I have discovered that this headlight challenge has been part of a class action lawsuit. Shame on Toyota for not issuing a recall on this matter - Prius owners, as well as fellow drivers whom we share the road with are at high risk.

- Travelers Rest, SC, USA