2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 12 of 37)

Feb 062010

Prius

I stepped on break padel on my 2010 Toyota Prius on a bumppy uneven road but the car didn't stop properly and slipped a few feet instead.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Prius

Momentary brake loss. 2010 Prius, mfg. Date 12/09. Purchase date 2/1/10. Low speed slowing down with light braking for stop light. Happened over a man hole cover (I think). When it felt like the brakes quite momentarly.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Prius

While driving on 2/5/10 in snowy conditions at about 15 mph, I slid through a stop light in my 2010 Prius. I was driving cautiously, applied my brakes early, knowing the light might change. It changed to yellow and I had no brakes and slid into the intersection as the light turned red. I have had anti-lock brakes in my last two cars and have had my ABS engage previously on my 2010 Prius. During this event, no braking of any sort took place even though I had the brake pedal depressed. Fortunately, I was not hit by other cars in the intersection. I have not had the problem examined yet, but will be taking my Prius to the dealer.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Aug 252009

Prius

I own a 2010 Prius. The day after the purchase, the brakes would grab when in reverse as brakes were applied. I returned to the dealer who said they could find nothing wrong and was perhars due to a little rust on the rotors and and to return in problem recurred. The grabbing and jerking continued while braking in reverse at low speed and I again returned to dealer. This time they said it could be due to interaction between the mechanical brake and the the regenerative brake but had no improvements to offer. The problem continus to date. It does not happen when going forward. However, I thought you might be interested as it may indicate a general software error ifor controlling the interaction between braking modes.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 302009

Prius

Brakes are unresponsive at times, it jerks during slow and steady application of brakes on rough or slick road surfaces.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jan 152010

Prius

Toyota Prius 2010 - breaks failed to stop car on 3 separate occasions during the past month. Each occurrence was at an intersection (roads each time were plowed for snow, but still a bit slick). The car eventually stopped due to the vehicle slowing down, but still not breaking. One occurrence was at an intersection where the car did not break at a red light and I quickly turned the wheel to the right to proceed onto a side road. I have called the service department at the Toyota dealership (where the car was purchased last fall), and have not received a response.

- Sheffield, MA, USA

Sep 012009

Have experienced the 2010 Prius brake condition several times

- City Island, NY, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

My Toyota Prius has the problem that has been reported in the news. The vehicle has brake/stability control issues as soon as one of the wheels leave the suface of the road. The anti-lock "system" seems to be too aggressive and thereby is dangerous. There is nothing that the driver can do to avoid this. It is a traction-control/brake issue. Also, rear vision is about as bad as looking out the rear of the oscar mayer weiner mobile. The side mirrors need more rear vision.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Jul 252009

Prius

My 2010 Toyota Prius has been having braking issues. It has happened 4 times that when I am stopping and hit a bump the brakes seem to not engage.

- Onarga, IL, USA

Oct 022009

Prius

I bought my 2010 Toyota Prius in the summer of 2009 and on the 2nd day of ownership when I was braking to make a left turn on to my street where I live the car increased in speed up when I was making my turn while braking over a bumpy surface in the road.yhis condition only happens when the roadway has imperfections and is rough.I had told the dealer about this conditon and they said it was the sensors and it was a normal conditon which I think is dangerous because this happend when I was behind another car and came close to hitting the car in front of me.

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

Jan 022010

Prius

Toyota Prius antilock brakes stop braking after a disturbance such as a slippery spot, or pothole. This occurs quite frequently and is likely to cause an accident.

- Issaquah, WA, USA

Jan 152010

Prius

I have noticed on a few occasions that my 2010 Prius lurches forward for a brief second in the middle of braking at a stop sign. I have noticed this happen occasionally, but was more frequent in the last month, about 3 times. I made a written complaint to Toyota service a week ago, but was told it was not unusual. However, I just read in the news about the issue with braking in this model car and am alarmed and thought I should make a note of my observation to NHTSA. I will call Toyota service again to have them take a second look at my car. Thanks

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Dec 102009

Prius

Bought a 2010 Prius in October 2009. It currently has 3500 miles on it. At least three times the car felt as if it slipped on ice when applying the brakes (weather conditions were perfect - no ice, snow or rain). Their is difficulty in clearing fog from the windows and one time I had trouble setting the cruise control.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Aug 012009

Prius

I have experienced very strong grabbing sensations from the brakes a few times when backing up. The car reacts as though you are slamming the brakes even though only slight pressure is applied.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Prius

Friday; 02/05/2010 I own a 2010 Toyota Prius I have been experiencing when I apply my brakes for months when driving over a uneven surface or a large holes. My vehicle does not respond when I try to slow down or apply brakes. Its like I lost control. I tried to explain this condition to the selling dealer but he did not have a answer up to now. My 2010 Toyota was purchased 09/22/2009.

- Fryeburg, ME, USA

Dec 282009

Prius

Driving in slippery conditions and we attempted to stop on a manhole cover and the brakes did not catch. We almost had a crash, but managed to stop just in time. This was not the first time that this had occurred. We had a similar incident when we hit a large pothole.

- Burlington, MA, USA

Jan 052010

Prius

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius and noticed problems with braking while crossing the train tracks and hitting potholes. It seemed that the brakes does not work because the vehicle accelerates. You have this feeling of panic that the vehicle won't stop and you will hit the bumper of the vehicle in front of you.

- Sugarland, TX, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

I was driving my 2010 Toyota Prius over a rough spot in the road. When I tried to slow the car by applying my brakes, they did not respond. In fact, instead of slowing down, my car accelerated abruptly, shooting ahead several feet before I was able to regain control of the vehicle. This episode lasted only a few seconds, and then the breaking function returned. Since I was traveling around twenty miles per hour at the time and no one was directly in front of me, the episode did not result in any accident or injury. While I have had only one occurrence of this brake failure/acceleration since owning my car, purchased at the end of September, 2009, the fact that this car has a history of performing in this uncontrolled way has me deeply concerned about driving it.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 102009

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius. From the first week I owned the car here is a description of the problem. Frequently, when first starting the car in the driveway, I put the car in drive, then as it began to move forward - the slightest touch on the brake caused the wheels to lock-up, badly lurching myself and the passenger. After driving for a short while the problem goes away. I took the car in for its 5,000 mile oil change - told the Toyota dealership (rodland Toyota everett wa) about the problem and I was told it was checked out and there was no problem. There is a problem.

- Greenbank, WA, USA

Jan 202010

Prius

I purchased a 2010 Prius iv at boch Toyota in attleboro mass on Jan 9th. On Jan 20th (odometer about 300 miles), about 5:20 pm I was traveling South in stop & go traffic on allens ave near rihospital (providence, ri) at about 10 mph over a rough surface (including railroad tracks that crossed nearly perpendicular to the road). When I applied the brakes, the vehicle failed to stop properly, until after a few anxious seconds, the brakes finally grabbed and stopped the vehicle less than 1 inch from the truck in front of me. No subsequent occurrence has been noted in the next 300 or so miles. In light of the recent reports of faulty software causing just such malfunctions of the braking system, I am reporting this to the national highway traffic safety division.

- Rumford, RI, USA