2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 13 of 37)

Feb 052010

Driving my 2010 Prius today, I experienced a brake failure such as the one I've been hearing about on the news. Here's what happened: I was braking, slowing to a stop approaching a stoplight (going no faster than 10 mph at the time), my car rolled over a manhole cover that was slightly lower than the surface of the road (no more than one inch deep) and suddenly it felt like my car was gliding on ice with no ability to stop, the brakes had completely failed; additionally, I heard a slight grinding sound come from the front right wheel well. I took my foot off the brake, re-depressed the pedal, and everything was instantly back to normal. The duration of the incident was no more than a second, but it was terribly alarming just the same. Following this incident, I have contacted two different Toyota dealerships' service departments who stated that they did not currently have any repair plans for this problem, apologized for the "inconvenience, " and one of the dealerships (Toyota of hollywood (ca)) took my phone number while the other dealership told me to wait for a letter from Toyota. I inquired of Toyota of glendale (ca) if I should get a rental car for the time being (hoping to be offered a loaner) and they told me not to, and to 'drive safe.' I'm totally livid, this is a very scary problem to experience.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 222010

Toyota Prius 2010- when we go into a pothole and apply the brake, the brake doesn't work. Instead, it accelerates. Once, it hit a curb and damaged the bumper.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Jan 252010

I own a 2010 class III Toyota Prius. On several occasions, I have applied the brakes and the brakes seemed to release, causing the car to surge forward, before the brakes re-engaged. Once this occurred when I hit a manhole cover and once on a slippery road but it has also occurred on dry roads with no apparent reason for the failure. I took the care to the dealer on 30 January 2010 who advised me that there was nothing wrong with my brakes.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jan 262010

I was driving my 2010 Prius East on Ohio street (near state street) in Chicago. The street here has some potholes and manhole covers. When I applied the brakes, the car did not brake; instead, it seemed to surge ahead. I was able to stop the car before hitting a pedestrian. This was the most recent episode of this problem. I did not note the dates of the three prior episodes that have occurred since I purchased the car approximately seven months ago.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 072010

My 2010 Prius hesitated to brake properly/caused a delay at 10mph on the freeway, as a result my left fender made contact with the vehicle in front of me. As result, my insurance increased, I had to pay $500 deductible to repair my bumper. Also the back brakes have squeaked going in reverse since purchase in November 2009.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jul 052009

During moderate braking when there are uneven or potholes in road there is a hesitation between the dynamic braking and the disc brakes. There seems to be a delay enough to scare the driver especially if it was the first time.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Feb 042010

I have had a brief failure of the brakes on my 2010 Prius iv. I was driving in town coming back from the school where I teach. I slowed as I came up on another vehicle stopped at a stoplight. Although I had my foot on the brake, it did not start to brake for a couple of seconds. I narrowly avoided an accident.

- Galesburg, IL, USA

Sep 302009

Since I bought my 2010 Toyota Prius, I have been noticing that when I go over a bump or pothole in the road that the car lurches forward and seems to accelerate or I can't brake. It occurs a few times a week since I bought it in Sept..2009 it is currently at the dealer and I don't know if they will be able to fix the problem. They didn't seem very confident that they would be able to.

- Middleboro, MA, USA

Jan 292010

On several occasions, my 2010 Toyota Prius has lurched ahead after hitting a pothole, as described in the Feb. 4 New York times article. No contact or property damage has occurred.

- Valencia, PA, USA

Jan 052010

I was coming up to an intersection with a stoplight. The light turned red. I was going over a manhole as I hit the brakes. My brakes did not work and in fact, my car lurched forward. I stepped hard on the brake and eventually stopped. Luckily, the car ahead of me was far enough away or I would have rear-ended it. Another incident happened a few days after a snowfall. The end of my street had some hard, packed snow that the plow left behind. As I came up to the stop sign, my brakes did not work and I ended up in the cross street. I was only going about 10-15 mph at the time that I braked. This incident happened in December 2009, the other in January 2010. Nothing has been done to correct or repair the car.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jan 282010

I attempted to bring my 2010 Prius to a stop on a dirt road leading to an asphalt surface that was covered with a recent snowfall of about 2 inches. The brakes did not grab for about 3 seconds during which I attempted to pump the brakes. The car had 4 snow tires mounted on it which usually grab right away.

- Chester, NY, USA

Jan 292010

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius, purchased in November, 2009. Twice, I have been going over a small bump in the road and the car has accelerated suddenly instead of braking. This happened both in January at the same intersection -- at the intersection of hampden and monaco in denver, Colorado.

- Denver, CO, USA

Feb 052010

As I slow down in my 2010 Toyota Prius, if the car goes over any bumps, I feel an "acceleration" (actually a sudden stop in deceleration) as I am applying the brakes. I went to my Toyota dealer and they acknowledged that they'd heard of the issue, but denied it was a problem.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jan 242010

I was driving my 2010 Prius (built before January, 2010) on icy conditions. I coasted to a stop sign and applied the brakes. The car seemed to ignore my braking and continued through the stop sign 2-3 feet. I attributed the problem to the weather conditions and proceeded with caution. At the next stop sign, I was especially careful, but when I applied the brakes, the car seemed to surge forward for 1-2 seconds, enough time to put me in the path of an oncoming pick-up truck. Nobody was hurt, but the damage will come to about $11,000. After hearing about the Prius' brake problems, I realized that the lack of brake action that I experienced is very similar to other complaints about Prius' built prior to Toyota's January programming fix. I am upset that Toyota knew about this problem, but failed to tell me about it. As a result, I will end up with a less valuable repaired vehicle with a known brake defect and higher insurance rates which will plague my wallet for years to come.

- Keene, NH, USA

Sep 102009

I have had a 2010 Toyota Prius since September 2009. I bought it from a dealer-Toyota of lake city, seattle, wa. I have been experiencing the following problem: A momentary reduction in braking performance while traveling over an uneven road surface or bumps and applying the breaks. It feels like the brakes slip and the car jerks forward when the brakes are applied while traveling (especially downhill) on an uneven road surface or bumps. This problem occurs every time/day I drive on an uneven road surface or bumps, and try to apply the brakes. Nothing has been done to correct the failure as no recall has been issued yet. Dealer notified of problem.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 212010

In June I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius. I live in a cold winter climate and have noticed that the car brakes seem to disengage for short periods of time, particularly as I come to a stop on a snowy/ice rutted road, or am going over a bumpy surface. If I leave my foot on the brake, it will reingage quickly. In other words, I put on the brake, and the car starts to respond but then "jumps ahead" as if it's sliding on glare ice before coming to a complete stop. The problem is intermittent, depending upon the condition of the road at the time. I have reported the problem to the dealership.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 022010

Toyota Prius 2010: I have experienced momentary loss of braking capability while traveling down the hill and made a right turn. This has happened twice.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 042010

2010 Toyota Prius loss of brakes - this has happened four times in the seven months that I have owned this vehicle. All four times were when the vehicle was on ice or hard packed snow. Details; when coming to a stop at relatively low speed (approx. 10mph) on either ice or hard packed snow the vehicle will lose all braking for about 5 to 10 feet. The first several times this happen I thought that I hit a patch of black ice but didn't understand why the anti-lock brakes did not chatter.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Jan 192010

While driving my 2010 Toyota Prius I approached a red light with traffic stopped in front of me at the light. It had been raining and the pavement was wet. I began to gently brake to stop well behind the stopped traffic at the light. I passed over some rough/bumpy road and the brakes failed for about 1 second and the car shot forward approximately 10 feet. The brakes then began working again in ABS mode and I was able to avoid hitting the stopped traffic in front of me by only 12 to 24 inches. This has happened a number of times since purchasing this 2010 Prius in November of 2009. It has happened 3 or 4 times in the 3 months I have owned the vehicle. The loss of braking causes a severe sense of panic and distress and the vehicle does shoot forward for that second or so. And in the case noted above came very close to causing an accident. It is only time before it will cause an accident and harm to me and/or others. Toyota has not offered any remedy. They know the problem exists and have known it for quite some time. Communication from Toyota about the problem has been almost non-existent.

- Aptos, CA, USA

Feb 022010

One occasion of failure of brakes for 1-2 seconds on 2010 Prius (over rough road).

- Naples, FL, USA