2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 16 of 37)

Dec 122009

Prius

I have a 2010 Prius purchased in late July 2009. I have definitely had problems with the braking system in winter weather on slippery surfaces. When braking, it feels like the antilock brake system fails and the wheels lock up momentarily. I don't let my wife or kids drive the car in slippery conditions. This is definitely an issue for me and I believe it should be investigated and pursued. I have contacted the dealer - alderman's Toyota of rutland, vt about the issue. They are aware of the problem.

- Huntington, VT, USA

Jan 132010

Prius

When applying the brakes on my 2010 Prius, there is a surge in the car when it hit a manhole cover (bump). This happened under 20 mph on gentle brake application. Upon pushing on the pedal further, the car resumed braking and stopped. This "surge" lasted only a fraction of a second but was very disturbing and should not occur.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

We have an ongoing problem with our 2010 Prius, purchased in 9/09. When going over a depression in the road, or a bump, when brakes are pressed, we feel like the car is bucking/accelerating. Clearly, it's really that the brakes aren't working momentarily but it's frightening. If we had to stop, we couldn't. this happens each and every time in those circumstances.

- Maplewood, NJ, USA

Feb 052010

Prius

Braking on rough surface results in car jumping forward and then eventually stopping.

- Rutherford, NJ, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius - sometimes when braking the car has a power surge and you start moving faster.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Dec 302009

Prius

We purchased new 2010 Prius at the end of last September in 2009. Both of us have had the experience of "losing control" of the car while braking on icy roads. My first experience happened during our first big snow fall. I was approaching the entrance ramp to an express way and had to apply the breaks when a car infront of me began to slow down and slide to the left side of the ramp. As I applied the breaks, the car began a series of quick forward jerks associated with knocking sounds. I also heard a slight change in how the engine sounded. Fortunately, I escaped a traffic accident since my Prius drifted to the right before control was reestablished. It was frightening. This is the first car I have owned that has an anti lock braking system. I assumed that is why I experienced the loss of control and why it felt so uncomfortable. When I told the dealership about it, I was advised to take the car to an open area and practice using the brakes in order to get used to it. Since then, my husband has had the same experience while trying to stop the car on icy roads. He tells me that the "jerking" and the knocking sound is not part of a normal anti lock breaking system. This is why I am reporting our experience to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Thank you.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Jan 282010

Prius

Momentary loss of braking while in at low speed (about 8 mph) on uneven road surface or wet conditions resulting in a surge forward. When in a turn, maintaining control of the vehicle can be challenging. Condition is replicable, I.e., I can reproduce the braking loss/surge at the same place in the same conditions, at any time.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 082009

Prius

Problem is onset of acceleration when brakes applied in 2010 Prius 4, purchased at antwerpen Toyota, clarksville, md in August 2010. Problem has been detected 2 times, without accident, but with significant increase in anxiety. Both incidents were approaching a stop sign, and seemed to be related to change in acceleration due to rapid braking. First incident in September 2009 was considered a 'driver issue' since I had owned the Prius only 1 month. However, second incident in November 2009 was clearly not a driver issue, and was initiated the same way--stopping at a stop sign after driving at highway speeds for some time. Neither incident involved a traffic accident.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Feb 052010

Prius

On Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2010, driving a 2010 Prius on a Michigan road at 25 mph, some ice or freeze over, approximately 9:30am. I approached the stop sign and there was no brake engagement, no sound or feel of an antilock brake system. I couldn't stop the car, so I had to proceed thru the stop intersection. There wasn't an accident since there wasn't a car crossing the intersection.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Jan 152010

Prius

I bought a 2010 Prius in late December and about two weeks ago, I was driving on a local street, which had some potholes on it. I could see a pothole ahead of me. Another car was coming from the opposite direction, which prohibited me from avoiding the pothole. I therefore braked slowly and came almost to a full stop as I went over the pothole. My foot was on the brake during this entire episode, but as I went over the pothole, the car suddenly accelerated. Although I did not have an accident or hit anything, the reaction of the car was very unusual. Since then, there have been some occasions when I have been at a light or stop sign with my foot on the brake and it has felt as if the car were about to move ahead, despite my foot being on the brake; it has felt like I needed to apply more pressure than normal to the brake in order for the brake mechanism to work properly.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

I live in the phoenix, AZ area. While driving my 2010 Prius, when I go over an abrupt bump with brakes engaged braking completely fails momentarily. First few times this happened I thought maybe my foot had reduced pressure on the petal due to the bump but later confirmed that this is not the case. It occurs almost daily - every time I go over an abrupt bump with brakes engaged. I have a daily drive that takes me over some slightly rough pavement as I approach a stop light. Nothing has been done to correct the problem - I am just aware of it and am careful to account for that occurrence as I approach the light.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Oct 302009

Prius

I drive a 2010 Toyota Prius and have experienced braking problems while braking and going over bumps/rough pavement. I have 6000 miles on my car and have had this happen about 5 times. During one occasion, while slowing for stopped traffic, I drove over a bump, and I felt the break pedal vibrate like the antilock brakes were being activated, then a quick "release sensation", during which I had no brakes, like I hit a patch of ice. I was just able to avoid hitting the car in front of me by swerving into an open drive way. I was also with my wife as a passenger in this car and she had a similar event while braking and hitting a bump in the road. This is not acceptible.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Oct 042009

Prius 4-cyl

On 7 different occasions since purchasing our Toyota Prius 6 months ago, while pushing the brakes, the car has lurched forward as though someone pushed down on the gas.

- Plano, TX, USA

Oct 152009

Prius 4-cyl

I've experienced 2 problems with the brakes on my 2010 Toyota Prius. The first happens when I am applying my brakes while going over a pot hole. The brakes appear to release and catch again. This has happened numerous times under the same conditions. Secondly, I've noticed that when the car has been parked and the wheels get wet, whether by rain or from washing the car, as I backup or go forward down an incline, the brakes seem to "grab" or "stick" when light pressure is applied to the brakes. The resulting stop in the car is as though I had jammed on the brakes quickly and with a great deal of force.

- San Anselmo, CA, USA

Jan 022010

Prius 4-cyl

This is regarding the 2010 Toyota Prius. I just traded in my 2008 Prius for the 2010 in December 2009. I have experienced temporary loss of brakes 3-4 times when hitting small pot holes. This only lasts for a couple of seconds, but it appears to happen randomly with no warning. I have contacted the dealership where I purchased the Prius, but they cannot act until they hear from Toyota. So, I must just drive as safely as possible, and stay alert.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Oct 272009

Prius 4-cyl

2010 Toyota Prius braking issue...I have had this issue a number of times. I will be driving and see a pothole/bump coming up. I slow down and brake but once the car goes over the pothole/bump the brakes do not work- instead the car accelerates forward with a lunging/jerky feeling. It is not right. I took the car into the dealer on 10.27.09. They could not "duplicate" this problem and could not fix it. I called Toyota headquarters and they opened a case. They said I should take it back to the dealer and to see if they could duplicate it. Case # 091139820. There is a big problem with the brakes- the car should slow down/stop and not speed up. If a car or pedestrian had been right in front of my car I would have hit them no doubt.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 152010

Prius 4-cyl

2010 Prius braking problem: When braking and vehicle encounters a bump in the road vehicle accelerates and surges forward. This has occurred approx 15-20 occasions. Fortunately we have been able to stop the vehicle safely. Reported to dealer and was informed this was "normal".

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jan 072010

Prius

Multiple times when braking in my 2010 Toyota Prius, the car has suddenly lurched forward instead of stopping. In all these incidents, the road was either slightly wet or the car had just moved over a bump or pothole.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 012009

Prius 4-cyl

Toyota 2010 Prius braking problem -- I purchased the car 8/09 and within about 1 month noticed brief braking failure -- at first thought it was my imagination. Later thought it was from losing grip with the road surface momentarily as in going over a surface irregularity. This happened several times albeit intermittently. Then for a couple of months it was not a noticed problem. Last weekend I experienced it again. It was on a clear and seemingly even surface as I tried to slow coming to a traffic light. It is brief and then the brakes do successfully engage.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Dec 192009

Prius 4-cyl

I was approaching an intersection in December during a snow storm. The road was snowy and I braked, but my 2010 Prius did not immediately stop. I went 10 - 15 feet before the car stopped. It was very scary, but luckily there was no other car in the road, or I would have been hit.

- Centereach, NY, USA