2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 21 of 37)

Jan 102010

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius about 6 weeks ago and have experienced a brake surge problem at least three times. In each instance I was traveling about 20 mph and had applied the brakes. When the car hit a bump in the pavement it surged forward for about 0.5 second before the brakes grabbed again. The road surface was dry on each occasion and my impression at the time was that the brakes just let go.

- Gardiner, NY, USA

Nov 102009

Our 2010 Prius has a problem with the brakes when going over bumpy roads.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 142009

Issue with brakes of Prius 2010. We lose some control of the vehicle or it veers when the brakes are pushed sometimes. It happens very rarely but when we push the brake, the car will sometimes seems to slow, then accelerate a couple of feet before stopping.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Jul 012009

Momentary lack of braking on 2010 Toyota Prius bought summer of 09. Has happened many times. Also brakes grab erratically jerking the car severely when in reverse. Same problems are noted by many, many owners on forum.

- Coronado, CA, USA

Jan 302010

My 2010 Prius accelerates when it hits a pot hole while slowing down. This happens more when there is snow or ice on the road. In icy conditions I am slowing down and not pressing on the brake, but if it hits a pot hole -- a momentary loss of control is experience. It seems like the electric brake switches off and hydraulic brakes kicks in because it brakes harder once back.

- Bensenville, IL, USA

Jan 012010

2010 Toyota Prius III -- brake problem, similar to that described in news release of 4feb10. Car momentarily accelerates whenever hitting bump, even though brakes are being applied. Ongoing over the past several months.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Dec 072009

We have Toyota Prius 2010 model and there has been incidences in the past couple of months where the brakes have not functioned properly. On Dec 7th 2009 on a traffic light signal my car despite applying the brakes kept on moving and ended up hitting another car. My car was damaged but I just couldn't comprehend the reason as to why the car didn't stop. Even after couple of weeks when my husband was driving, while we were stopped at the traffic light, the car kept rolling forward. All we could think was that may be we were not pressing the brakes hard enough, but since other people have come out with similar problem with Prius, the whole thing is making sense to us. I use Prius regularly with my two young kids in the back but now I am scared to even drive it.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Sep 102009

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. Whenever the contact attempted to engage the brake pedal while driving 35 mph when the vehicle lunged forward and then it accelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and advised that the vehicle was operating normally for since it is equipped with an electrical engine switch. The failure has occurred repeatedly. The failure mileage was 6,000.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Feb 032010

We have a 2010 Toyota Prius II, and have experienced multiple instances of the brakes not working - especially while driving through our apartment complex and going over speed bumps. This has also occurred while on the interstate, slowing down for traffic. The date listed below is for the most recent occurrence.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Feb 032010

While driving northwest on national bl, just past venice blvd, in my 2010 Prius, I applied the brakes and, rather than slowing, the car accelerated forward. I released the brake and pressed it again, very firmly, and the brakes finally caught.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 022010

2010 Toyota Prius brakes jerking in fanning on rough roads. I have call dealership but have not heard back.C all my ins. Company in was told not to dive the car. Now I have a car that keep be used.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jan 272010

After stopping the car, then either moving forward or reversing, brakes will grab. Brake grab is strong enough that it feels like I've slammed on the brakes when they are barely touched. In order to correct, I put the car in park, then either D or R. this has happened about 10 times since I bought the car in August 2009.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 252010

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius, which I purchased in August, 2009. I have experienced a braking problem at lease 6 times since then. When I brake while driving over rough roads including driving over metal cover plates in roads, I lose all my brakes for a second or so. It feels like I have hit a patch of ice. It is very scary, and really gets your attention.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 202009

Upon applying the brakes when I hit rough road, pot hole, debris, unlevel pavement, they seem to slip. I don't slow down like I want the car to, I fishtail a little and the stability control comes on. This has happened 3 or 4 times since I purchased the car. 2010 Toyota Prius.

- Cary, NC, USA

Nov 152009

When our 2010 Prius hits a pothole and I brake, it lunges forward for a second. This has happened 3 times.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 012010

2010 Toyota Prius II stopping time longer than expected when in "B" gear and need to brake. Note that I am not sure of the road surface when this occurred but I believe that it was flat. Car seems to lurch forward. Have come close to hitting car in front of me. Dry road surface, close to 50 degrees F.

- Camano Island, WA, USA

Dec 182009

When slowing for a stop sign - I struck a bump in the road and the brake did not feel like it applied for a quick moment. It caused me to stop further in to the intersection than I expected, or would have liked.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Aug 102009

Braking problem noted with Prius 2010. On uneven pavement while strongly braking, the car lurches forward for a moment, prior to finally braking (felt as though it was "slipping" until it caught the pavement again). This has occurred approximately 5 - 6 times since purchase 07/31/09. Contacted service dept. In 2009 by phone, but they had no other complaints. At some level I was thinking it was just my imagination or some kind of high tech glitch that I had to live with. At servicing in January all systems were assessed without abnormality, although I did not formally complain about my brakes at that time. The issue remains, and I do believe that it is a safety issue, and that rear-ending another vehicle is a real possibility due to lack of control.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012010

As owner of a 2010 Toyota Prius with about 10,000 miles on it, my wife (the regular driver) and myself have experienced an anomaly in brake operation on several occasions. Each occasion involves either hitting a bump in the road while braking or being on wet pavement while braking. When this happens, if feels as if the brakes release for a fraction of a second (creating a short sensation of acceleration) and then resume operation. I don't think the car is actually accelerating in that moment. My theory is that while braking, a single wheel looses traction (and perhaps momentarily stops) and then the system releases all wheels for a moment before regular braking resumes. The fact that you are sitting in the car with your foot applying pressure on the brake makes this very attention getting. This has occurred several times since getting the car last August.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 012009

My 2010 Toyota Prius, purchased in July 2009, experiences braking problems on wet or slightly bumpy roads. When I hit the brake, the car jumps forward in these conditions. If I were tailgating the car before me, it could crash.

- Elkins Park, PA, USA