2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 22 of 37)

Jul 012009

Prius

My 2010 Toyota Prius, purchased in July 2009, experiences braking problems on wet or slightly bumpy roads. When I hit the brake, the car jumps forward in these conditions. If I were tailgating the car before me, it could crash.

- Elkins Park, PA, USA

Feb 032010

Prius

I have experienced brake issues about 6 times, and my wife has had it happen to her twice, since I bought my 2010 Prius at the end of August 2009. The brake problem usually will happen when braking on an uneven surface such as a pothole or a bumpy road. The issue is that the brakes will momentarily stop working and you get a jerking/speeding up feeling.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Prius

Sometimes when I'm braking it feels like a surge in power of my Toyota Prius - 2010.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Prius

Brake failure - as I drive to work each day there is a place where I am turning onto a different road to get to work. As I approach the turn I brake to slow down and I always hit a bump in the road and/or a pothole close to the intersection. As I hit the area, my car shoots forward and it feels like I have lost my brakes. I can recover quickly by keeping my foot on the brake, but if I was closer to the intersection I could overshoot it and hit someone or someone could hit me. I mentioned it to the service manager when I got my first oil change at 5000 miles and he seemed very unconcerned and he said it was probably the ABS brakes failing because the tire lost contact with the road. Well I also have a 2002 highlander and have never had the problem with this car.

- East Bend, NC, USA

Nov 082009

Prius

I couldn't stop my 2010 Prius at a stop. The brakes wouldn't stop the vehicle.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Jan 212010

Prius

Brakes fail momentarily when driving over potholes and bumps.

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Prius

When driving over uneven terrain (ie.; railroad tracks, bumps in the road) my 2010 Prius seems to accelerate. I read about the brakes failing... but it really feels like it is accelerating too. It is very scary when this happens as it feels that you will be thrushed into whatever might be in front of you.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Dec 282009

Prius

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius purchased new in October 2010. I have had at least 5 instances of the brake failure that have been described in recent reports. The failure occurs when braking and going over a rough spot like a man-hole cover or pothole. There is a momentary and complete failure of the entire braking system.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Jan 152010

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius: After turning car on, taking emergency brake off, foot on brake pedal fully depressed, shifting from park into reverse, the car will begin to move on its own without me taking foot off brake. Have to shift it back to park and turn it off for it to stop. Toyota service said "this is normal". has happened 8 times, most recent Jan 15th. All on level surfaces. Only happens if car is on in electric mode only, not with the engine on.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Feb 032010

Prius

When applying brakes on 2010 Prius (purchased in Sept 2009), the car lurches forward when it hits a bump in the road. This is a reproducible behavior and has been observed since shortly after purchase.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Aug 202009

Prius

My Prius loses its braking ability when I hit a pothole or if I drive over a sewer grate. I've owned the car since July 2009, it is a 2010 model. It also happens when I drive over bumps in the road. This has happened several times since July. It seems to happen more in wet weather.

- Rockville Centre, NY, USA

Aug 222009

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the brakes were ultra-sensitive and while driving 5 mph in reverse and lightly depressed the pedal the vehicle lunged forward as if she made an abrupt stop. Occasionally, she had to push the brake pedal extremely hard to stop the vehicle. She has not spoken to the dealer nor the manufacturer to-date. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was 3,740. The failure mileage was approximately 500.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Aug 142009

Prius

Pressing brakes while turning and hitting a pothole causes car to surge forward.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Jan 292010

Prius

While driving on a slick road. I tried to brake and turn into a parking lot. Brake pedal felt non responsive and car hit curb, knocking off the wheel cover and scuffing the rim.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Sep 252009

Prius

Just wanted to add my two cents worth that the brakes on my 2010 Prius aren't right. When I hit a pothole while braking, the car lurches forward a few more feet. It has almost put me into oncoming traffic a couple of times. This has happened numerous times. I purchased my car on August 28, 2009. Please let me know when repairs and adjustments will be available to the public.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 302009

Prius

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius iv in November of 2009. Within a week of driving the car I was making a right turn at an intersection and drove over a pot-hole. Within a second of hitting the pot-hole I felt as if the car slid forward without resistance rather than feeling it being slowed by the brakes. A few seconds later the car seemed to recover and feel normal. I experienced this two more times at the same intersection when hitting the same pot-hole. I also experienced something similar weeks later on a different road. My wife reported similar experiences 3-4 times. We felt this was caused by unfamiliarity with the cars traction control system. The recent news reports on Toyota braking problems is making is reconsider. Please note I pressed the submit button twice. The first one provided me confirmation number 10305515. I failed to notice an error with the model year. I entered 2009 instead of the correct 2010. Therefore I submitted the complaint a second time with the corrected year. Sorry for any inconvenience.

- Germantown, WI, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

2010 Prius bought in July of 2009. Similar problem to what is currently being investigated. When coming to a stop (usually from highway speed) on a road with potholes, the car will hit a pothole and will lurch forward, as if I had taken my foot off of the brake. So far, continued pressure on the brake pedal has always stopped me in time.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Jan 262010

Prius

I own a 2010 Prius and when stopping going over a reasonable ┐bump┐ the brakes seem to disengage so you get an acceleration feeling which causes you to react and press the brake again. It shakes you when is happens because you don┐T know what will happen!

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 182010

Prius

I have a 2010 Prius and on 2 different occasions I observed a brief lack of braking when I hit the brakes. The first incident came at a freeway speed of about 60 mph and I had to hit the brakes harder than normal as traffic ahead of me were braking due to an accident. The second incident came in a residential area traveling at around 35-40 mph and I had to hit the brakes hard as a vehicle turned on red in front of me. On both occasions the pause mirrored the descriptions that have recently been reported in the media. There is definitely a flaw in the brake design.

- Richmond, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Prius

I have a 2010 Prius and I have experienced frequent braking loss when driving over bumps while braking. The brakes release momentarily. I have experienced this many times!! it is definitely dangerous.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA