2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 26 of 37)

Oct 012009

Prius

Problem vehicle: 2010 Toyota Prius purchased in September 2009. When foot is on or off brake at speeds < approx 45 mph, and a large bump/pot hole/etc is traversed, the brakes fail for about a second (which feels like an uncontrolled acceleration). For that second the car is uncontrolled. This has happened at least 15 times since September 2009. This is especially dangerous is sudden braking is required or road conditions are hazardous.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 042010

Prius

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius in December 2009. I live in duluth Minnesota where the streets are hilly, bumpy, and often icy. At least twice a day, as I'm coming down a hill toward a stop sign and apply the brakes, I notice the brakes seem to give out (I.e., cease to function) for a brief interval, perhaps a second or two. During this brief interval, the car seems to surge forward. I reported this to the dealer this morning and they said no fix is yet available.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Dec 012009

Prius

Under certain conditions my 2010 Toyota Prius momentarily looses its brakes. I took delivery in October, 2009.

- Meadville, , PA, USA

Jan 132010

Prius

Braking does not occur immediately on occasion on Toyota 2010 Prius. Traction light even comes on as if you are skidding. This has occurred several time for me since owning the car in Sept 2009. I have had a Prius from each generation (this is my third Prius) - this did not occur in those. Did call dealer on this. Exact dates not kept but will put an estimate of last time below.

- Stafford , VA, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the brakes were ultra-sensitive and when she lightly depressed the pedal, the vehicle would jerk as if she made an abrupt stop. Other times, she had to push the brake pedal extremely hard to stop the vehicle. She called the dealership and was told that it was not a problem. She had not contacted the manufacturer to-date. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was 1,218. The failure mileage was approximately 1,200.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Dec 112009

Prius

During the first snowfall in Dec 09 I was driving my wife's 2010 Prius because I wanted to take this new car out to see how it would perform in icy conditions. As I approached a roundabout/traffic circle at less than 10 mph the brakes did not respond at first. I nearly rear ended the SUV that was stopped at the circle. The ground was covered in ice. I had to spin the car at an angle to avoid hitting the SUV. I am now reading that other people have had the same problem. I read that Toyota has addressed that there is a problem but has not issued a recall. I have experienced brake slippage/not engaging when first pressing on the brakes 6-10 times with this car. Applying the brakes over potholes seem to have the same effect but it seems more dangerous that this happens on icy roads since I live in the frozen Tundra of green bay Wisconsin.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Nov 252009

Prius

Our 2010 Prius bought in October 2009 failed to stop in time and got into an accident in November 2009. We had suspected a brake issue since we bought the car but were not concerned until now that Toyota has acknowledged this issue with brakes, we want Toyota to fix this issue and issue a recall.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Jan 252010

Prius

I purchased a 2010 Prius on January 18, 2010. Within 1 week of the purchase, the car had hydroplaned two times. Each time, I thought I had hit "black ice" as there had been rainy/cold conditions that evening.the feeling I had was that the car surged forward momentarily as I was driving slowly or slowing down. These 2 incidents happened within a mile of each other. I was driving very slowly at the time. I called the dealer, northbrook Toyota, and reported the problem to the salesman. The problem happened again a week later when the surged forward as I passed over what looked like a slick sewer cap.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 012010

Prius

I have a 2010 Prius and am having braking problems when driving over pot holes, bumpy services, or down hills. The 2010 Prius releases the brakes when driving over these surfaces and has becomes dangerous to me and my family. I also live on a rather steep hill and when traveling down the hill any debris on the surface of the road such as leaves causes the brakes to give way. "please help" "please help".

- Monroe, WA, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

I have noted a braking issue with my 2010 Toyota Prius V equipped with a navigation system. The brakes do stop the car, but seem to delay stopping the car after the applying the brake. The car was purchased in August 2009. I have not been contacted by Toyota.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Aug 132009

Prius

I purchased my 2010 Prius on August 4th, 2009 and almost immediately noticed issues with the brakes. I distinctly remember driving in the car on this date with my wife as we were on our way back from her ultrasound. I just got off the highway and there was a red light ahead with several cars stopped at it. I applied the brakes slowly and steadily, as I normally do, braking with plenty of time to stop. As I approached the last car at the stop light I encountered a pot hole and the brakes disengaged. I could feel the car was no longer decelerating. I had to slam on the brakes and barely avoided slamming in to the car ahead of me, stopping with literally an inch between our bumpers. Since that date I have encountered this exact same scenario several times a month and have come close to an accident 2 to 3 times.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 152009

Prius

I own a 2010 Prius and purchased in 5/2009. I simply want to confirm that the brakes seem disengaged when going over bumps and stutter bumps, and this is short lived. For me, this was not enough of an issue to initially complain. However, I could see that if there was a series of stutter bumps, I might lose braking altogether.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

Brake was not working when applied trying to slow down on a snow covered frozen road at about 25mph. It's not for a stop or sudden braking.

- Okemos, MI, USA

Nov 102009

Prius

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius. When I apply the brakes, the car jerks forward before stopping. I am very concerned about the software problem in the ABS system and want the NHTSA to demand that Toyota fix the 2010 Prius brakes. The problem with the jerking brakes happens frequently, and has happened at least 40 times over the past 4 months.

- Alexandira, VA, USA

Jan 022010

Prius

My 2010 Prius loses braking for a split second when going over a pot hole. I've noticed this a couple of times.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Jan 132010

Prius

01/13/2010 - I went to the service dept at Toyota of wallingford to complain about the loss of brakes in a new 2010 Toyota Prius while driving over uneven ground. I had owned the car one month with 1500 miles on the odometer. The loss of control of the car is terrifying because the car seems to accelerate forward. The service attendant was aware of the issue and described the situation. He took the car on a test drive. He assured me it was not a safety issue.

- Woodbridge, CT, USA

Feb 032010

Prius

Sometimes when our 2010 Prius hits a pothole, ice chunk or other bumpy road conditions we will very temporarily lose braking power. It seems to occur as the traction control or anti-lock kicks in. This has not been a one time incident, but also does not occur every time.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Nov 062009

Prius

On five separate occasions, when applying the brake to stop at an intersection the car would initially begin to slow down and then, while the brake is still being applied feel like it skipped or accelerated for another 10-15 feet before stopping. The term scary could be applied to the sudden feeling of having the car accelerate when the brakes are being applied.

- Newton, MA, USA

Jan 032010

Prius

While braking on a downhill road and approaching a signal light, I hit a pothole and the momentarily lost braking power and the vehicle lurched forward. I continued to apply the brakes and they engaged again. Fortunately, I was decelerating and there were no other vehicles in front of me. I concerned that this could occur again with other consequences.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Feb 032010

Prius

Since buying a 2010 Prius in June, I have experienced three "surging" events while braking as I decended hills. Two involved situations involving hitting road depressions, which almost caused me to go through traffic lights, one involved a road covered with 1-2 inches of snow, which almost propelled me into oncoming traffic at a stop sign. All situations occurred as I was descending hills and slowing speed by braking. The first incident occurred in the summer, the last yesterday. I reported this to my dealer, who had no information on it from Toyota, but advised me to file a complaint with Toyota, which I did, case #1002106542.

- Verona, NJ, USA