2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 27 of 37)

Jan 102010

Purchase 2010 Prius in Nov 2009. On smooth highway ( NY lie ) traveling 70mph to pass a car. Gently applied brake to slow down but the Prius lurched forward for 2-3 seconds ( 200 - 300 feet ). almost hit car in front of me.

- Manhasset, NY, USA

Feb 012010

Slowing down while approaching a left turn lane, hit a pothole and lost braking power for about 0.5S.

- Spring Hill, KS, USA

Jan 242010

As I was applying my brake my car went over a bump, most likely a man hole cover, for a split second I felt like the brakes stopped working, then it went back to normal.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Jan 102010

Incident 1: weather condition - cold and dry. Road condition - bumpy, washboard just before a stop sign pressed on brake pedal, car slowed until washboard section of road came up, then brake seemed to disappear briefly and then car stopped. Very frightening. If there was someone in front of me I would have hit them. No injuries, no crash. Incident 2 weather condition: Snow, snow falling, 1" on roadway. Location: Parking lot. Came around corner very slowly due to weather conditions. ABS came on early when applying brakes and the brakes appeared not to work for a brief time and then they worked but stop was much longer than it should have been. I almost hit a wall.

- Newville, PA, USA

Jan 012010

Toyota Prius accelerates after hitting potholes. Cannot slow vehicle as brakes don't work immediately. This problems is random and does not occur on a regular basis.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Feb 012010

I am experiencing a loss of braking power, during slower speed stops or attempts to slow down. The problem occurs at generally less than 20 mph. I apply the brakes and the car begins to slow, however, if I hit a bump or pothole, the car feels like it is accelerating and/or losing braking power, despite my foot remaining on the brake pedal. I am able to regain braking by further pressing the brake pedal. The acceleration/loss of braking feels like it's coming from the rear wheels of the car and at least in my experience feels like the problem only occurs when the rear wheels go over the bump or into the pothole. A similar loss of braking has not occurred when the front wheels go over bumps or potholes at lower speeds. The braking lapse causes my stopping distance to be lengthened. This loss of braking power has occurred several times since I bought my car in July 2009. I first noticed the problem in the fall of 2009 and it most recently happened this past Monday (2/1/2010). The problem does not appear to occur at higher speeds, such as on a highway or main road. I was not carrying any cargo or additional weight in the vehicle during any of the incidents.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 042010

Braking power momentarily stops when hitting a bumpy surface such as pot hole or uneven road surface. Even pressure causes momentary loss of braking power but power returns after a second and braking resumes.

- Danvers, MA, USA

Jan 292010

Brakes suddenly lurch, especially when there is snow or uneven surface (pothole), first not catching and then causing brief more sudden braking. This is as if the ABS is not working properly. This has happened about 3-4 times since purchase of car about 12/5/09.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Feb 022010

I have a 2010 Prius iv and can certainly say that I have felt several times a bit of "brake-loss" on this vehicle. By that, I mean that at times I have to push down much harder on the brake pedal to come to a stop. This happens at random times and causes me a bit of nervousness as a few times I came close to hitting the car in front of me. This tends to happen as I am coming to a stop, not during high-speed braking. I would estimate that this has happened at least 10 times during 4,000 miles of driving.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jan 302010

I have a 2010 Prius, 3D gen, basic pkg. Five days ago, I rear-ended a car stopped on an entrance ramp to rt. 15 in NJ. I hit the brakes -- and the car shuddered forward as if its wheels had seized up. This Prius has had intermittent braking probs since I bought it last August. Usually, this happens on a rough road or during a sudden deceleration. The brakes feel as tho they've locked, and the car almost bounces to a stop, rather than braking quickly and smoothly. I told the dealer -- and they told me nothing was wrong (inferring it was my problem -- that I'm a lousy driver.) I reported the brake problem again after this accident, and was told again there was no problem. News reports now suggest - there is a problem. (btw - my car has also done some brief spurts of acceleration, which is odd in any hybrid. They usually have no real pick-up.) I had never before driven a Prius, so I figured that was how the car ran. Please let me know how to deal with this? the dealer says they'll check the brakes - but they don't know what they're looking for. Also - my car insurance rates will go up because of this accident, and it cost me the $500 deductible. I'm disgusted, to say the least. I thought I'd bought the holy grail of design excellence & fuel economy -- new and improved 3D-generation. I bought an expensive headache.

- Lake Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Sep 292009

I purchased a 2010 Prius in September 2009. Within the first few days of driving I experienced a disconnect when I would hit the brake when going over a bump. This has happened at least 20 times since. I am contacting the dealer but I have not driven the car very much because I am upset about my safety as well as others on the road.

- Lynnfield, MA, USA

Jan 042010

My Toyota 2010 Prius (purchased in Massachusetts in August, 2009), has issues with the brakes. Going over bumpy or snowy/icy roads, the brakes when applied don't seem to grab properly - they are slow and uneven in response to brake pedal pressure... I notified my dealer and was told there was nothing wrong. Now I am hearing about design flaws with brakes in this model, and I am concerned. What do I do?

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Dec 102009

I purchased my 2010 Prius in Nov 2009. As admitted by Toyota this Feb 4, 2010, while braking, I have momentarily lost braking and the Prius lurched forward.

- Manhasset, NY, USA

Jan 162010

Sudden brake loss. When braking and when the car is at low speed, if the car hits a bump or manhole cover or snow, suddenly the brakes no longer work. This happens once a week. I have experienced it 10 times in two months.

- Aldie, VA, USA

Feb 032010

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius..purchased in August 2009...currently going for 15K miles on the odometer. I want to report issues with sudden acceleration even when I am stepping on the brake. I noticed every time I pass thru uneven road, for example potholes, icy roads, snow. The most common issue I have is as I am going down the road and car hits a pothole or manhole (those with metal covers) the car will suddenly accelerate, although I am stepping on the brake. Sometimes I am afraid I will hit the car in front of me, especially when im in traffic. Even going at 5-15 mph, the car will accelerate when it hits uneven road like pot holes or icy roads. This has happen quite a few times since I purchased the vehicle. Just yesterday, we had about 1-2 inches of snow. I was driving slow and when making a left turn, the car hit some uneven road and snow and accelerated when I was stepping on the brake to make the turn. The car went up the sidewalk and the bumper cracked as it hit the concrete edge that separates the road and the sidewalk. No one was hurt and no property damage was done. The car is working fine, but this sudden acceleration issue is a major concern, especially now that I read and hear in the news that 2010 Toyota Prius are being reported with complaints of sudden acceleration. I thought my issue was an isolated case. Please take this complaint into account. I will be going to the dealership this weekend for the 15K scheduled maintenance and will report the issue to them.

- New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Sep 012009

1. while applying the brakes at low speed while riding over uneven or different road surfaces (such as pot hole or bridge). 2. the brakes seem to grip, then release, then grip again causing a miscalculation of braking distance required to safely stop the vehicle. It happens every time during the circumstances described in item 1 above. 3. nothing has been done to resolve the issue, although I understand that Prius models sold after January 2010 have had this problem fixed.

- Buchanan, VA, USA

Feb 022010

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius and have experienced the same issue recently being reported. While braking, when going over a pothole, bump or wet surface, the car appears to lunge forward for a second. This has recurred at least 10 times since I purchased the car in August, 2009.

- Sewickley, PA, USA

Oct 062009

2010 Prius. When brakes are depressed, and vehicle is slowing normally, if the vehicle encounters a pothole or other very rough road surface, the brake will sometimes disengage briefly, but abruptly. The car seems to surge forward. In the three times I've experienced this, the brakes 'catch' again very shortly after the pothole -- less than a second.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Jan 182010

I have the 2010 Prius braking problem described in the news recently. The brakes seem to fail briefly when I'm stopping. It seems to have occurred when slowing on turns with an uneven roadway or an icy surface. At first I thought that I had hit an icy spot and the car slid a bit, but after about the 4th or 5th time I realized that was not always the case. It's quite scary when it happens, especially since I am in a turn at the time. It may of happened on straight roadway also. I can't remember for sure.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Jan 102010

His happens about once every two weeks with our new 2010 Prius. When we press the brake the car accelerates for a second. It seems very dangerous. When I call my dealership they have been dismissive and said it was a problem with the mats, we tried different mats and even took them out and the problem still persists. I haven't called the dealership I N a while but last time they still said it was a floor mat problem.

- Seattle, WA, USA