2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 28 of 37)

Jan 292010

When slowing down over bumpy surfaces, the car temporarily loses braking control (for a second or so). It is terrifying and needs to be looked into. There are hundreds of people online who have reported this exact same problem.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Feb 022010

My Prius is having brake issues. When I took it back to the dealer the service rep rode in the car with me and since it didn't slip during our 2 block drive he said he can't authorize a repair since its not part of the recall. I want to just return this thing before I get in an accident but they told me I will lose 100 points on my credit score. What can I do?!

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 022010

Our 2010 Prius suddenly accelerates when we press the brakes and hit a hump on the road. This is an ongoing problem.

- La Canada, CA, USA

Jan 262010

I own a 2010 Prius and took the car into the local Toyota dealer 2 days ago for the initial 5,000 mile check up to discuss a couple issues I have found with the car. I have experienced on 3 occasions a feeling of brake failure. This has occurred when I am driving over rough road. While the brake is being applied if I hit bumps, the brake pedal drops and I lose the brakes. I have immediately let up on the brake and then reapplied pressure to the brake pedal to get braking back. The dealer tried to achieve the same problem but was unable to replicate it. He said it was just the way the pedal must feel to me. Our daughters both have 2006 Prius' which I have driven and never experienced this problem with their car brakes. The second problem is with cruise control. Again, I have driven a 2006 Prius and used cruise control and not experienced the following in the 06 model that occurs in our 2010 model. The car started to accelerate in cruise mode. We have also found it takes a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to take it out of cruise control. The car jerks when tapping the brake pedal lightly to take off cruise control. The dealer again took it out for a test drive and said this is the way the Prius feels. I know driving the 2006 model it was not the way the Prius feels when you take it out of cruise control.

- Bannockburn, IL, USA

Feb 032010

The brakes on my Prius have failed three times in three weeks in both city and rural driving conditions--two times I was braking while driving down a hill (both under 30 mph) and once while driving on a secondary blacktop road (35 mph). When brake failure occurs, the Prius brakes not only disengage (fail) but the car seems to lunge forward. It's as if I am braking with my foot on the gas pedal and then let up on the brake while the gas pedal is still depressed. It's a nauseating feeling when this happens. I was planning on taking the Prius on a cross-country trip in the spring but will not now because of this braking issue. It is not a safe vehicle. I have great concern for my safety and the safety of others, particularly pedestrian safety at intersections. I am also going to post my complaint on (online priusphile community of which I am a member) in hopes that others will come forward with their braking problems to NHTSA, forcing Toyota to fix this problem. I completed a complaint form for last week on your site (didn't require VIN number) but since brake failure occurred again today, I realize that this is not an isolated incident. Therefore, I am filing this formal NHTSA complaint.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 012010

1. I had a 2009 Toyota corolla and just traded it in and bought a 2010 Toyota Prius this Saturday 1/30/10. On Monday I was driving to work and was still in my community when I approached an intersection and applied my brake. The car skidded through the intersection. Thankfully there was no other vehicles. I read the article today about the incident with the Prius brakes and wanted to submit my incident. 2. it was the first time this occurred. 3. also I contacted Toyota service and one of the service rep told me that they can take a look at it but cant do anything until Toyota issues a fix... what do I do with my car" does lemon law apply? what are my options"

- Bear, DE, USA

Dec 202009

While coming to a stop, my vehicle (2010 Toyota Prius, model iv) lost braking power (felt like an acceleration while depressing the brake pedal) as I went over a pot hole in the road. I was at a very low speed (~5mph). I depressed the brake pedal even further and the braking power returned and I was able to stop.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

Jan 152010

We own a 2010 Toyota Prius and noticed that the car "kicks" a little when applying the brakes lightly. We didn't think much of it at first because we live in Chicago and the streets are quite weathered. We thought the "kicks" we felt might be the car bumping along uneven roads. Thankfully, we have not been involved in any accidents. Other than this issue, we are pleased with the car.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 262009

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius on 8/26/09. The car would accelerate when I stepped on the brake to slow the car down at a stop sign or red light. I brought the car to plaza Toyota on 12/23/09 after this occurred more than 50 times. Toyota told me that there was nothing wrong with my car and I'm the 1st one to complain about this problem. On the receipt (R/O # 6311675/1) from this visit, Toyota stated, " tom the Toyota field tech determined that the feeling that the customer is experiencing is normal and that the regenetive braking system and hydraulic system is transferring and that's normal." Since that visit, this problem has only happened 4 times. In regards to braking on slippery roads, the car has slid 2 different times before gripping the road. Also, Toyota claims that the Prius gets 51 mpg, this car has only been averaging 33 mpg in city driving.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 172009

While braking and turning and going over a small bump my Prius seems to lose its brakes and accelerate for a split second. It has happened about 4 time in the last 6 months.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Jan 152010

2010 Toyota Prius bought on Sept 28, 2009. I have experienced the following thrice "when braking, if a pothole is hit, the car seemingly jerks forward/accelerates." The first time I thought I was imagining it, but when it happened on a couple of occasions after that I realized it is real. I am extra cautious while driving this car compared to my family's other cars. In normal course of operation the brakes are working fine.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Nov 092009

Braking moderately, going over buckled asphalt and or tar strips in the pavement. I have had it happen at least three times, Prius feels out of control then I regain control, wet or dry pavement. Its a brand 2010 Toyota Prius with 5,000 miles.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Feb 032010

Braking problem on 2010 Toyota Prius. Vehicle surges while applying the brakes on a bumpy road. I have experienced this on several occasions since purchasing the vehicle new this year. The vehicle has not been taken back to the dealership at this point in time.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jan 232010

2010 Prius brakes do not work properly when hitting a slick manhole cover - car actually lunges forward. Seems to be a software glitch when regenerative braking is taking place and one or more wheels can slip on the road surface.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 282010

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius. During the five months I've had it, I had 3 to 4 encounters with brake problem. Twice I was driving around 20mph and was braking and preparing to make a turn, but the brake failed to work, and I felt that the car was accelerating out of control. This lasted for only about a second, and I eventually was able to slow the car down and make the turn. In one case the road was very bumpy, in the other case the car hit a pothole right around the time I braked. On a third incidence, the brake didn't work for a second on a slightly icy, slippery highway, when I was going at around 30mph. This may suggest that the brake function poorly on slippery road, although I haven't had another chance to experience this again.

- Fort Lee, NJ, USA

Jan 192010

2010 third generation Toyota Prius. My wife and I are experiencing unpredictable momentary brake failure and sense of loss of control of this vehicle. This occurs unpredictably under various conditions such as uneven pavement, pot holes or patches of slippery road surface. The loss of braking force is brief, but the resulting reengagement of the brakes can be harsh and startling and has created moments of erratic and dangerous control lapse. This pattern of brake failure has occurred by my guess greater than 20 times since our purchase of the vehicle approx 4 months ago and over the course of 10,000 miles so far driven. Over all we are very pleased with this vehicle, but are concerned that this braking unpredictability and abrupt reengagement will eventually be the cause of an accident.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Dec 202009

I own a new 2010 Toyota Prius. I have always suspected the brake has problem. It happened several times that the vehicle will surge forward on slippery, uneven surface or pot holes when I hit the brake.

- West Windsor, NJ, USA

Dec 232009

Brake not responding when applied.

- Columbai, MD, USA

Jan 302010

My 2010 Prius has twice had a brief momentary loss of braking in slow speed. Both times this occurred when trying to stop for a stop sign in a residential area with low speed and on icy/snowy surface. The vehicle stopped 5 feet or so past the originally intended point of stopping.

- Ham Lake, MN, USA

Jan 042010

My vehicle surged forward or temporarily lost braking after driving over a pothole or other uneven surface, and this is a recurring problem.

- Worcester, MA, USA