2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 29 of 37)

Jan 042010

Prius

My vehicle surged forward or temporarily lost braking after driving over a pothole or other uneven surface, and this is a recurring problem.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Prius

I bought a 2010 Prius on 7/25/09 and shortly thereafter noticed something a bit unusual with my brakes at sporadic times. I just now read the description someone gave in an article about trouble with 2010 Prius brakes and it fits my experience to a T: "when braking, if a pothole or bump in the road is hit, the car seemingly jerks forward/accelerates for a split second." In addition, on sporadic occasions when backing up the brakes will grab sharply when relatively light pressure is applied. As for a date below I have listed today's date as it occurred today, but has done so intermittently since I have owned the car.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jan 182010

Prius

Brakes did not work on ice. Car went forward about 15 feet with no brake action.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

2010 Prius - braking effectiveness is lost on rough surfaces. The car gives the sensation of lurching ahead. In addition, we have experienced surging problems when using the cruise control. Rather than accelerations to the preset speed, the acceleration continues past the setting until the cruise control is canceled by tapping the brakes.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Dec 282009

Prius

Brakes locked up when gently pushing on pedal at low speeds in forward and reverse, anti lock brakes engage while stopped if your foot wiggles on brake pedal, brakes do not engage strong if you hit a small bump while braking causing you to not stop on target and anti lock brake symbol briefly flashes on at the same time.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Nov 152009

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. Whenever the contact attempts to brake traveling over a rough terrain at a low speed the contact noticed that the brakes will suddenly disengage and then correct itself. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 5600.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Prius

I thought that it was just me but when I heard others complaining about the brakes on the new 2010 Prius I confirmed what I have been experiencing. Whenever I begin to brake and either (a) hit a bump or (B) begin a turn, the car jumps or lurches as if losing traction for an overly excessive amount of time leading to a short but significant loss of control.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius - odd braking behavior. On a number of occasions, when the vehicle is completely stopped and the wheels are not turning, when I press on the brake pedal, the orange "skid warning" indicator on the instrument cluster turns on. Something is wrong when I get such a warning, as the vehicle is not moving, and certainly not skidding.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 282010

Prius

I bought a 2010 Toyota Prius on Dec. On 12/21/2009, and have noticed on at least 4 occasions that when I brake on top of a bump in the road, the car actually lurches forward, instead of slowing down and stopping. I thought it was just me, but then I heard a story about it on npr, and now feel that this problem has been confirmed by others. I have been lucky that on the occasions when it has happened, there has not been a car in front of me, or I might have hit them from behind.

- Coconut Grove, FL, USA

Jan 212010

Prius

I was driving my 2010 Prius and approached a stop sign at an intersection on a local road. (as I approached the intersection I was probably driving about 20 mph or less). After I hit the brakes and had been decelerating for a very brief period, I went over a pothole or some similar protrusion. At that point, my car lurched forward, almost hitting another car. That car had been about half car length in front of me when I hit the pothole.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Sep 012009

Prius

While I was driving in city traffic and braking firmly as traffic slowed, one or both of my right-side tires passed over a manhole cover or hit a shallow pothole (this has happened several times). Braking effort completely stopped for a second or two -- the car felt as if it were surging forward, but this was probably just the change from deceleration to coasting. Braking resumed, either automatically or following increased pressure by me on the brake pedal, I'm not sure which. No collision resulted, but one easily could have if I had been following another car even a few feet closer than I was.

- Denver, CO, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius and have encountered the same issues with the brakes that many others have reported. When braking (which I do over a longer than usual distance and timeframe because of the car's ability to regenerate power while braking), the brake pedal drops and the car suddenly accelerates whenever the vehicle hits a bump or pothole. This has happened multiple times since I took possession of the vehicle in June 2009. No accidents or injuries have resulted, but I must be particularly cautious of road conditions when braking because this happens frequently and I am concerned about the possibility of future accidents or pedestrian incidents.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 152009

Prius

Braking power suddenly gave out momentarily. This occurred at low speed. However, I was approaching a crosswalk with a pedestrian in it. If felt like the car lurched forward. I read the article in the nyt this morning which noted this problem with the Prius and this definitely fits my situation. It does not happen frequently (3 or 4 times at most), but it is obviously a safety issue. I purchased my 2010 Prius new on Nov. 3, 2009 from Toyota of seattle. I contacted the dealer about this issue a few days ago, but have received no response.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius frequently accelerates briefly when braking after hitting pothole or going over a bump. In addition, frequently at start up, the brake pressure is extremely high, and the slightest release of the brake causes the car to lurch rapidly either forward or back, depending upon whether in drive or reverse.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

When braking and going over rough road or potholes, the car feels like it is accelerating. It is necessary to exert additional pressure on the brake pedal, but sometimes does not feel like this is helping.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 252009

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius - braking issue on slippery service - I find the braking distance required to stop the vehicle is excessive when compared to my previous vehicle on slippery services. This has resulted in the vehicle rolling forward into intersections before coming to a stop. I live in mn where road conditions can become less than ideal. I do not believe that I am traveling at an excessive speed but I have know adjusted my driving habits to account for the extra distance required to stop.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Prius

I have been driving my 2010 Prius for 4 months and everyday I drive over this road near my work that's not a total flat surface with a bump, my Prius just jerks and slides forward and accelerates for a split second. This happens every single day I drive to work over this bumpy road. It worries me if a pedestrian is walking in front of me I am not sure if I can pull to a complete stop in time.

- West Covina, CA, USA

Jan 182010

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated as she was driving 5 mph she slowed down and applied the brake to stop the vehicle and it lunged forward. This happen twice. The vehicle had not been taken to the dealer. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 172009

Prius

While driving my 2010 Toyota Prius on roads with lots of bumps, potholes, sewer covers, etc, I have braking problems. When driving over one of these "obstacles" and I touch the brakes, the car lurches forward as if accelerating or slipping. I can then release the brake and step on it again to slow/stop the car, but if there was a car close in front, I would have certainly hit it. I purchased the car in August 2009 and have had this same problem happen at least 6-10 times.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 202010

Prius

My 2010 Prius has been exhibiting momentary loss of braking when passing over a rough surface. My neighborhood has several roads with steep slopes and although my speed on these routes is almost always under 20 mph, on several occasions I have noticed an uneasy feeling of loss of control on passing over potholes or seams in the pavement when going downhill. I had written this off to unfamiliarity with a new vehicle, since I only purchased the car on 12/31/09 but when I read today's NY times article, the symptoms it described were exactly what I had been experiencing. I have not yet contacted the dealership but plan to do so right away.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA