2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 31 of 37)

Jan 302010

Prius

When braking over a smooth surface such as a manhole cover, the vehicle tends to lurch forward.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Oct 092009

Prius

2010 Prius brakes does not work if the vehicle goes over a bump or a pot hole while brakes being applied..it has happened several times...even complained to the dealer once...dealer says there are no technical buliton or technical fix on the issue.

- Exton, PA, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

When I brake my 2010 Prius and hit a bump it lurches forward, causing momentary loss of control.

- Chillicothe, IL, USA

Aug 172009

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact noticed that there were occasions when he lost braking power and slight acceleration when he drove over a pothole or bump in the road. He stated that the issue occurred when driving at low speeds in normal road conditions. The contact was able to regain control and resume normal operation almost immediately after the failure. He experienced the issue at least 12 different times. He had neither taken the vehicle to the dealership nor spoken with the manufacturer at the time of the complaint. The vehicle had not been repaired to-date. The current mileage was approximately 3,000. The failure mileage was approximately 150.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 202010

Prius

When braking numerous times, my 2010 Toyota Prius has stopped braking and gives the feeling that it is lurching forward. My most recent incident occurred when I was driving over a man hole at about 30-35 mph. These incidents typically occur when braking over non-smooth road surfaces, such as potholes. I have owned the car since June 2009.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

My 2010 pruis tends to lurch forward when braking. This mainly seems to occur when the surface changes while braking, like driving over a manhole cover, pothole or slippery surface. I have experienced this every since I bought the car in June 2009. I reported it to the dealer at my first check-up, and was told that it was a function of the unique braking system on the Prius, and that they hadn't heard the complaint before (too new in the model year). No record was made of my complaint. I have lived with it ever since, and it happens at least twice a week; just happened again yesterday. At one intersection on my commute I hit the same surface every time and it lurches almost every time. It feels almost as if I have lifted my foot off the brake pedal and it lurches forward, although I can't say if it feels like it is accelerating or if it is just the inertia of the car that causes it to lurch forward. It has not caused an accident yet, but since the car lurches a few feet forward, I know that I would hit any car too close in front of me. I also worry that in snow or ice it would cause a skid to occur or send me into a different lane. I was not at all surprised to hear about this on the news this morning, and regret that I did not know about this complaint form to file or I would have back in July. I can't state an incident date since it is ongoing.

- Honeoye Falls, NY, USA

Nov 012009

Prius

I lose all braking for a few seconds on my 2010 Toyota Prius while going over rough roads at slow speed. I have not tried this at highway speeds. I wanted to wait to learn more of the problem from my dealer. So when I was at my Toyota dealership on 28 Jan 10, for my car's first scheduled maintenance, the assistant service manager stated that the problem is prevalent on most Toyota vehicles including the truck he owned. But that's not what reports heard today, 3 Feb 10.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 042010

Prius

Low speed brake failure on 2010 Toyota Prius. This describes just one of multiple times I have had what seems like a short, but total loss of brakes on this vehicle. Each time, I was easy to medium braking and hit a bump or was on rough surface. The brakes just appear to fail. Natural reaction is to press harder on brake pedal. Usually by this reaction time the brakes are back and you stop abruptly or skid to a stop. It has something to do with rough roads or bumps that happen at a given point during braking. Very scary situation. This has happened on both dry pavement and snow packed roads. Again, the common factor is the "bump" during braking. Each time I was the only person in the vehicle and the vehicle had no additional rear weight. Speed was under 25-30 mph.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Feb 012010

Prius

2010 Prius. Car lurches everyday when braking at stop signs. Car drifts forward and does not immediately respond to brake pedal being pushed down. Often happens in the middle of the stop. Brakes will start working but then "slip" in the middle at very low speeds. Doubt the anti-lock brake system could be the problem as speed are very low. Has been occurring since the car was purchase in the summer of 2009.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Prius

While driving my 2010 Prius, I have experienced unintended brake release on 6 occasions since taking delivery of the car in June 2009. During the summer, on dry pavement, the 1st incident occurred while approaching an intersection and going into a right turn, the left front wheel rolls over a (flush to the pavement) manhole cover. The car lost braking and jumped/slipped forward. Fortunately, there was no car close in front of me. This occurred 2X as this is one of my normal routes to work. On 2 other occasions, near my home approaching an intersection in which I needed to slow down, the car jumped when applying the brakes. The pavement was in 2 sections (split horizontally), one part concrete and the adjoining section asphalt. The car slipped/jumped forward while braking. The 5th occasion occurred approaching an intersection and the car lurched forward as I tried to stop almost hitting the car in front of me. This was on dry pavement, don't know the reason. Going over potholes on at least 1 occasion, the same reaction. Had mentioned to the dealership several times, the first time being at a new owner orientation meeting. They were not familiar with this issue. Was advised if it keeps occurring, to bring the car in for an inspection. I now have an inspection scheduled for Friday Feb 5th at the dealership.

- Greendale, WI, USA

Oct 132009

Prius

I own a 2010 Toyota Prius and have noticed that if you are applying the brakes and one of the wheels of the car happen to hit a pothole or bump the brakes seem to momentarily release and then grab again. My foot is not coming off the brake pedal. It's as if the car lunges ahead for a split second. This has happened more than once.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Jan 062010

Prius

When driving at moderate speeds on city/surface streets in my 2010 Prius, a braking problem occurs. If I hit a bump in the road while braking, the vehicle lurches forward as if the brakes have disengaged, even though I am still pressing the brake. I push the brakes down harder and nothing happens. A few seconds later, the brakes come back into play and the car slows down again. This has happened several times, and I have narrowly avoided accidents caused by this several times.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 062010

Prius

My vehicle has gone into a slide when braking...feels like the brakes are locked although I have antilock brakes. I have slid into an intersection twice and I would say there was sand left over from snow melt. This is a brand new car and I definitely can feel a difference that has caused alarm possibly 4 or 5 times in 4 months.

- Leawood, KS, USA

Aug 032009

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated when depressing the brakes to stop the vehicle it is grabbing and jerking. While using the vehicle's speed control upon setting it the vehicle would accelerate, but when the brakes are applied the vehcile would operate normally. The contact stated that he monitors the failures. The vehicle has not yet been diagnosed by the dealer.the failure mileage 6,200.

- Cincinnatti, OH, USA

Dec 112009

Prius

I'm the owner of a 2010 Prius and twice now when applying the brakes firmly during a rain soaked day while going over the temporary steel plates used during road repairs as soon as the back wheels hit the surface the car shoots a head as if the brakes are temporarily not applying pressure at all. No one was hurt it is just very unsettling.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Feb 032010

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While the contact was attempting to stop the vehicle while traveling at a low speed over a bump the contact noticed that the vehicles brakes would suddenly release for a short moment and then works properly. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 11000. The consumer stated he took the vehicle to the service dealer to have the recall performed on the brakes, however the vehicle continues to exhibit the same problem. When braking, the they seem to release. Updated 06/15/10.

- Commack, NY, USA

Feb 022010

Prius

Brakes on Prius 2010 periodically have a "lag" or delay time before they engage. I apply the brakes, and no grabbing or slowing down occurs for 2-3 seconds. This began to happen during January (car purchased in November). I have 7000 miles on the car. 1st time- went over rough part of road and applied brakes, delayed time until brakes acted. Felt as if I was floating- loss of traction feeling. Brought car into Toyota westport ct dealer on Jan 14, 2010 and was told no problem found. It has continued to occur: 2nd time - cold morning and 3X no braking traction as driving about 10-20 mph and trying to slow down for a stop sign and when a car entered from a side street 3rd time (Feb 2, 2010) - on highway around 2 pm. Cruise control was on and applied brakes - no slowing down for about 3 seconds. Very scary feeling as it happens.

- Westport, CT, USA

Jan 122010

Prius

I bought a 2010 Toyota Prius in June of 2009. On several occasions, I have noticed the brakes not working properly when I have tried braking while going over a speed bump. Instead of slowing or stopping, the car feels like it actually is lurching forward. It corrects itself almost immediately, but there is that second when it feels like it isn't going to stop. In reading several stories about reported brake issues with the Prius, I realized that other people are having the same issue. I have put in below the approximate date that was the last time this happened.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Jan 282010

Prius

Brake problems: My 2010 Prius, which I purchased last October, has been having sporadic problems with the brakes. It usually occurs on the streets, and at low speeds, and the car seems to lunge forward even though I have my foot on the brakes. It's as if I stopped braking even in fact, I've been putting uniform pressure on the brakes. Thankfully, this has not caused any injuries or accidents, but I am concerned about the problem.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Jan 182010

Prius

I have a 3rd generation 2010 Prius. When braking, my car lurches forward with brief spurts of acceleration if I hit a bump. The bump or pothole does not have to be very big and the loss of braking power is for a second or two. I do not believe this has anything to do with the gas pedal.

- Furlong, PA, USA