2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 32 of 37)

Dec 182009

Prius

1. going slightly downhill, one of the front tire went over a pothole, on other occasions, going over a slightly bumpy wet road 2. temporary (about 2-4 seconds) brake loss, has occurred about 3-5 times in 3 months 3. nothing done so far, waiting to visit dealer at 5000 miles or for Toyota to issue some kind of recall.

- Delmar, NY, USA

Jan 022010

Prius

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius (purchased June 2009). The brake system routinely fails for 1-2 seconds if I am braking as I hit a pothole or bump in the road. It feels as if braking starts, then totally disappears for 1-2 seconds, then I feel the ABS system kick in after that. This has probably occurred on the average of once per week since I have owned my car. It occurs in routine city driving.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Nov 072009

Prius

When braking and hitting a bump at the same time there is a loss of braking power. The vehicle lunges forward as if the brakes have stopped working momentarily. This caused me to have to use additional crash avoidance maneuvers, in another circumstance could have caused an accident. It feels as if a portion of the braking system shuts off after hitting the bump.

- Carrboro , NC, USA

Jan 062008

Prius

Driving normally on a rough road I came to an intersection where I had to apply the brakes. In this instance I applied the brakes and the vehicle started to slow as normal. I then hit a rough patch of road and the brakes appeared to have failed. There was no braking power at all. I then reapplied the brakes and the vehicle started to slow as normal and the vehicle then stopped. For the period where there was no brakes it was scary.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Aug 252009

Prius

When applying brakes on my Prius 2010 while approaching a stop sign or light, if I hit a bump, the brakes will briefly disengage. This has happened on numerous occasions since I purchased the vehicle last summer.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius - owned car for 8 months. Five times car has accelerated while I am pressing on the brake. Happens when I am slowing down and hit a pot hole or bump. Very scary! have a teen who is learning to drive and she is not allowed to use the Prius. Mechanics at dealership looked at me like I was crazy. Said they would have to exactly re-create problem to investigate.

- River Forest, IL, USA

Jan 152010

Prius

Event occurs at slow speeds when coming to a stop on an icy surface. Initially brakes feel like they are working properly. Then the brakes appear to stop working for split second. There is a sense that the car is accelerating, but I believe the sensation is caused by the brakes not working. After a split second the brakes appear to work properly again. Has only occurred at low speeds on an icy surface. The concern is that the required stopping distance is extended beyond expectations. This has occurred about 10 times this winter. After the first incident, I thought the car was sliding on the ice. However after repeated occurrences, the sensation is not sliding. The sensation is that the brakes have stopped working for a split second.

- Wayzata, MN, USA

Feb 032010

Prius

I am writing about my 2010 Toyota Prius. I have noticed faulty brakes on the vehicle, mainly when I am attempting to brake on slippery or bumpy surfaces. I live in Chicago where there are many bumpy roads and potholes, so when I'm coming up to a red light and need to stop over a bumpy surface, it feels like the brakes are locking and that I will slide into the car in front of me. By pumping the brakes, the car will stop, but it is a frightening feeling that I don't have control over my car. The same thing happens when it is rainy or the roads are slick. This has been a continual problem since I purchased the car in August 2009, in fact I took the car back to the dealer a few moths later to have it checked out. They claimed that since I have not driven a hybrid car in the past that I was unfamiliar with its braking system, and this was how a hybrid's brakes worked. I did not accept that answer, but what else can I do? I do not want them to realize there is a problem only after a crash has occurred.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 152009

Prius

My 2010 Toyota Prius, has on at least five occasions, surged forward when I hit the brakes, especially coming off of cruise control heading to a highway off ramp. These have occurred between September 1 and the present, February 2. the car surges forward even though I am not accelerating and have in fact hit the brakes. I then hit the brakes harder and the car has slowed.

- Northampton, MA, USA

Prius

This is the 3rd time I have had a total lockout of braking on my 2010 Toyota Prius. This seems to happen most times if the road is slightly rough and downhill. Dealer denies any known problems but this last time I went completely through a stop sign. Had there been other traffic I would have had an accident.

- Woodhull, NY, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius braking problems. Not always consistent braking pressure or braking force.

- Ogallala, NE, USA

Jan 202010

Prius

When braking to come to a stop, the vehicle suddenly accelerates forward or the brakes fail for just a moment. This usually happens when the road surface is uneven, or if there is a pothole. It is not reproducible, but has consistently happened about once or twice a month since I purchased the new vehicle in November, 2009.

- Pelham, NY, USA

Prius

2010 brand new Prius lurches forward occasionally when brakes are applied when turning sharp or going over a bump.

- Vista, CA, USA

Oct 142009

Prius

2010 Prius braking problem. Car feels like it is jumping forward while applying the brakes and traveling over bumpy roads or potholes. Purchased car in October 2009 and this has occurred more than 10 times.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Prius

1. 2010 Prius, brakes release and car surges forward if one tire hits a bump, pothole or uneven surface 2. this brake failure and surging occurs daily in both directions on my commute. In two locations the uneven road surface fall directly before an intersection and I have a difficult time stopping for a red light or nearly hitting car in front of me. This has been the case since I bought the vehicle. 3. although it constantly scares me and seems odd, I have just turned 5000 miles on the 2010 Prius and have not yet had it for service at the dealer. No parts have been altered or replaced. I have often complained about it at home or to friends, but it didn't occur to me to report it. I have not yet had an accident as a result of the problem.

- Venice, CA, USA

Jan 292010

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius (package iv) suddenly accelerates while braking over a bump, like a manhole cover. It occurs several times per week. No serious consequences so far, but could be troublesome if it occurs near other cars at a light or stop-and-go traffic. I took it to the Toyota Agency where they drove my car with me and did notice it, but didn't know what to do about it or think it was a serious problem. We also drove another 2010 Prius on their lot to determine that the same problem existed in it. I don't know if the braking is air, hydraulic, or electric, so I selected all three.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA

Jan 152010

Prius

While driving over a small utility access cover in the road, at a relatively low speed, our 2010 Toyota Prius momentarily lost braking power and seemed to accelerate for a very brief moment. Although braking power was regained very quickly, this was alarming since there was a pedestrian in the crosswalk immediately in front of the vehicle. Although this has occurred only once at the time of this report, we have also experienced unusually sensitive braking while in reverse. This problem was alleviated by shifting into neutral and then again into reverse. The problem while in reverse has occurred twice at the time of this report. This is my 3rd Toyota Prius and the first with any braking issues. The car has less than 2500 miles on it now and had approximately 1500 at the time of the loss of braking power.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 202010

Prius

1) driving at about 35 to 40 mph on a flat smooth road approaching a red light. Applying the brakes lightly to slow down before stopping. Hit a shallow pothole on right side. Probably a manhole cover. 2) very quickly, lasting only a split second, the brakes seemed to come loose and then re-engage. This didn't get my attention too much the first time, but then it happened a few weeks later again at the same place under the same conditions. It is apparently repeatable with my 2010 Prius! 3) nothing done yet. Does not seem to be severe enough to warrant worrying about right now.

- Lakeway, TX, USA

Jan 302010

Prius

This has occurred several times in the 5 months that I have been driving my 2010 Toyota Prius hybrid. I would go over a pot hole or larger bump and instead of my brakes initiating when I press the brakes there is a quick acceleration and the car literally lurches forward instead of slowing down. Also, there is a long lag time between pressing the brakes and the brakes actually intiating which is consistent and occurs all the time.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 032010

Prius

My 2010 Toyota Prius does experience momentary brake failure when hitting bumps or potholes. The problem never lasts more than a moment and has not caused any accidents or near accidents. I have not brought the car for repair.

- Stamford, CT, USA