2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 7 of 37)

Mar 052010

Prius

A safety recall procedure performed recently on the 2010 Prius to fix the lurching brakes has not been working out. I had it done recently, and this is past the recall. In more than 3 occasions recently I almost hit the car in front of me while going over a manhole stopping over for a signal going as low as 25mph. The car jumped forward despite my normal braking to get it to stop, forcing me to brake hard coming to a forced stop. I am afraid someday I may not be so lucky !! wish, Toyota put more thought into their solutions than rushing into the market with sub std. Procedures & cars !!

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Mar 062010

Prius

Complaint regarding: 2010 Toyota Prius. Since I purchased the car in September of 2009, the brakes fail when I am braking and hit a bump, pothole, or uneven road surface. The brakes fail for a second or two, and sometimes the car lurches forward. The issue occurs approximately once a day, every day. On March 6, 2010, I had the recall software for the 2010 Prius done in the service department at the mike calvert Toyota dealership in houston, Texas. On the way home, I experienced the brake failure again when I was braking and drove over a small pothole. I experienced the problem later that day when braking to stop at a red light, the pavement surface descended slightly beneath the car, the brakes lapsed, and the car lurched forward. I called the dealership. They referred to the materials supplied by Toyota and told me to call Toyota at 1-800-331-4331 to notify Toyota that the recall fix did not work. Upon calling this number and navigating the options on the automated system, I sat through a long recording stating that there was a recall of the 2010 Prius. The option available to speak with an agent did not allow me to do so.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 012010

Prius

I visited my local dealership for repair of the brake recall of the 2010 Prius in early February. I do not believe that this repair has fixed the problem. A few days after the fix, my car seemed to accelerate as I was braking and happened to be going over a pot hole. Then again just a few days ago, I was braking to make a turn and hit a very rough patch of road. My car again noticeably seemed to accelerate even though I was braking.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Mar 042010

Prius

I was driving my brand new, 3 weeks old, 2010 Toyota Prius on a rural road in clark county Washington on Thursday, March 4, 2010, when I attempted to slow down to make a very sharp left turn. I was applying my brakes when all of the sudden I realized I was not slowing down much and was not going to make the turn. I have maneuvered this turn hundreds of times and know that one must slow to almost a crawl to make the turn. I travel this area at least 1-2 times per week, so I was not unfamiliar with the turn. It felt like my car initially slowed some, but then slowing ceased and I ended up on embankment. The front of my car was damaged severely. I was not hurt but left with a very frightening experience to deal with. I am a excellent driver and have never had a wreck in the 31 years I have been driving. I believe my brakes initially engaged, but then due to the rural road surface, and pebbles left on the road from previous ice and snow, may have caused my brakes to not work as they should have. I attempted to contact Toyota but they are closed due to it being the weekend. My car is at the auto body shop as I write this letter. My concern is that I was allowed to purchase a vehicle, that is on the recall list with such a dangerous defect such as "the brakes not working properly." I have a teenage son who is just learning to drive and would it have been him, the accident may have been worse. Please advise how you believe I should proceed. I am very concerned, upset, and do not feel safe in this car! and I certainly do not want to Transport my children, other family members and friends in an unsafe vehicle that I just spent $33,000 on. I was told when I purchased the car that it would be safe, fine to drive, and may not even be on the recall list. It is on the list and it is not a safe vehicle as far as I am concerned.

- La Center, WA, USA

Feb 272010

Prius

Brakes temporarily disengage when braking. This happens several times a week. Toyota says they installed the programming fix a few weeks ago but the problem continues to happen. I contacted the dealership and they told me there was nothing they could do about it, that I should contact Toyota customer service. The failure occurs when I'm braking and hit a bump or uneven pavement. The brakes stop braking for just a moment. Depending on my speed at the time, it can feel like a momentary pause or a sudden, heavy push from behind. It always feels like I"M sliding over the bump.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 052010

Prius

My 2010 Toyota Prius will sometimes brakes very hard under light brake pedal pressure when backing up. It happens every 2 to 3 days and can be when the car is hot and just driven, or cold and been parked for hours. When this occurs, it will continue to happen no matter how many times the brakes are applied in reverse, with the lightest of brake pressure, the brake apply very hard. Then after the event, say a mile or two later, when backing up, the brake will act normally to the brake pedal pressure exerted.

- Ridge, NY, USA

Jan 052010

Prius

My daughter was driving the 2010 Toyota Prius into a shopping center's parking lot. She noticed some black ice on the ground and step on the brake. The car didn't stop and slip on the ice and then hit the curb. The repair costs over $7300, and it's the Toyota dealer did the repair work. Back in late October and early November time frame, when I was driving the car over a speed bump with speed around 15M/H, the brake didn't work, the car just surge forward, eventually slow down after 1 second or so.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Mar 022010

Prius

After the recall service on my 2010 Toyota Prius, the braking symptom still occurred on two occasions on March 2, 2010 and on March 4, 2010. In both cases there was a delay in braking when the brake was applied while on a moderately bumpy road surface. Although difficult to measure the delay may have been briefer than previously, but it was still sufficient that it would have been a safety hazard if there was a vehicle or obstruction in front of me.

- Walden, NY, USA

Feb 152010

Prius

I took my 2010 Toyota Prius in for the recalls and it still has the same acceleration problem.

- Lanark, IL, USA

Mar 032010

Prius

Had the recall work done on my 2010 Prius last week, and the problem (surge when braking over pothole, rr tracks, etc) has now happened twice since then. I just spoke to the service department at parkway Toyota in englewood cliffs, who told me that, while the recall fix would lessen the "surge" problem, it would never totally go away because of the braking system itself. Shouldn't this have been explained to me, by Toyota Inc, or parkway? this is still a very disconcerting feeling. Thought the recall was a total fix, not a partial one.

- Haworth, NJ, USA

Feb 012010

Prius

S10 appropriate handling re braking problems experience by an owner of a 2010 Toyota Prius. The consumer stated he experienced inconsistent braking while driving on wet, bumpy roads which required extra vigilance as the feel of the brakes would often change. The consumer also stated the problem was also evident while in reverse. Unfortunately, the vehicle did not stop while in reverse and hit another car. The consumer's vehicle as well as the other vehicle were damaged. The consumer stated his vehicle is currently at the dealership receiving the software upgrade to supposedly address the braking problem.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Feb 272010

Prius

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius. When depressing the brake pedal with pressure, it goes all the way to the floor and the warning light that you are skidding illuminates. I have only tested this at traffic lights and not while moving. I had the Prius in for an oil change in gastonia, nc and they said they fixed the problem but it still happens.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Jan 102010

Prius

While braking on a short hill with uneven pavement surface vehicle brakes failed momentarily and then took hold as I pressed harder on the pedal. This occurred 3 times on the same hill.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Feb 242010

Prius

2010 Prius brakes. After my first complaint and all the news on this problem I have been paying close attention and as I first thought the car does not just loose braking it actually accelerates. When braking over rough surfaces or potholes and your foot on the brake pedal you feel the car speed up for maybe one or two seconds. So far I have been able to stop ok. I quickly let off the brake pedal and reapply them and everything stops fine. I get no warning lights or alarms and never know when it might happen. Stopping over the same surface the next day may not produce the same results, pretty random problem.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 162010

Prius

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius model V with the advanced technology option including pcs (pre-collision system) system. Twice in the last 6 weeks the pcs system has triggered while I have been driving. At this time I did not have the radar controlled cruise control on or engaged. Both times, the seatbelts rapidly retracted the car started braking rapidly and beeping aggressively. Both times after what seemed like 3-5 seconds the car returned to normal driving. Both times I was driving at night at speeds between 35 and 55 mph. Both times due to the rapid seatbelt/shoulder belt retraction my left arm and chest was hurt. The pain lasts about a week, so there was a serious bruise which would have been ok if there was really a crash situation. Both times there was no one in front of me. Once there was someone behind me who almost crashed into me because of the rapid braking.

- Lodi, NJ, USA

Sep 182009

Prius

Prius, when brake was depressed it sped up when driving slow and hitting a pot hole this happened twice before Toyota came out with the information about the brakes and once since the information has been in the news. I bought the car in August had the first incident in Sept. One around christmas and one this month. Didn't really know what was happening until now.

- Manlius, NY, USA

Feb 152010

Prius 4-cyl

The contact has a 2010 Toyota Prius. A crash occurred when the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. The contact stated that he applied pressure to the brake pedal to no avail. The vehicle was traveling 15 mph at the time of the failure. The weather conditions were a factor and the road was covered with snow and ice at the time. The current and failure mileage was 8,000. Updated 06/28/10

- Cedar Falls, IA, USA

Jan 252010

Prius

25 January 2010, corner of rufus allen and hwy. 50 South lake Tahoe, California, 96150, at approximately 1630 local. Road conditions mostly dry 65% / 35% thin patchy ice, smooth surface no potholes. Applied brakes car lurched forward, momentary loss of brakes until more firm brake application was applied until braking system responded and car stopped short of intersection, no traffic violation, incident of damage.

- South Lake Tahoe, CA, USA

Feb 052010

Prius

Two failures. First while traveling at high speed from Canada to nyc on December 26, the left side of my electronic display went out, specifically the speedometer and gas mileage component of the display blanked out. It took Toyota about a week to figure out how to fix it. Secondly, I brought my 2010 Prius into my local dealer because of the braking acceleration issue. It had happened about 10 times since I bought the car on June 30, 2009. As the car was braking to a stop, there seemed to be an acceleration associated with the braking. When I brought it to star Toyota of bayside, they had the technician drive the car for about 3 miles and stated that they found no trouble.

- Nyc, NY, USA

Jan 282010

Prius

This is an update to an earlier complaint (#10304111). We had an accident with our 2010 Toyota Prius which we firmly believe was caused by brake failure. My wife was driving the car on a slippery road, it was lightly snowing, at about 10-15 mph and came to a stop sign. She applied the brakes and said nothing happened. As a car was at the stop sign she turned to avoid the car and hit a raised and sharp curb, which pierced the tire and bent the tie-rod. Our car was towed to a body shop. After about 10 days, state farm inspected the car, but by this time the recall for the Prius had been announced. The body shop then refused to fix the car and we had to take it to a Toyota dealer. State farm has since decided not pursue this incident as they feel the snow caused the accident and that the temporary loss of brakes is not what the recall is about. From our reading of numerous articles (NY times) and the recall information itself, plus what happened, we are strongly stating that there was in fact a temporary or momentary loss of the brakes which directly caused this accident. From our reading of the recall and other complaints, slippery conditions are one of the factors which cause this problem. In our case, this problem was exacerbated as not only was there slippery conditions, but the car was on a hill as well. We have also experienced prior to this accident a skipping or momentary brake problem when going over bumpy roads. When asking about this we were always told it had to do with the ABS system and that it was normal. Well the recall proves this was not normal and now we've experienced the problem on slick roads as well -- which has now cost us money.

- Peekskill, NY, USA