2010 Toyota Prius brakes problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jan 152010

Prius 4-cyl

When driving I sometimes momentarily feel a pause in the braking system of my new Prius. This occurs every time I drive on a certain street at a fairly high speed. While I am braking my right front tire goes through a pothole while my front left tire remains on flat tarmac. As my front tire comes out of the pothole I feel as if the brakes stop working for half a second and then they start working again. I estimate that I am driving through the pothole around 20-30 miles an hour. I drive this way every day from my work to house and I am always braking on this stretch of road as I turn a corner right after the pothole. There is a traffic light right after the pothole so whenever the light is green as I approach the pothole this happens to me. This has happened to me around 50 times - ever since I bought my new Prius in September 2009.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Jan 252010

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While driving 10 mph with the brake pedal engaged, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The contact was forced to apply pressure to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The contact has owned the vehicle for 5 months and the failure has occurred twice. The dealer was called and stated that they have not received any recalls for his vehicle; however, to bring it into to the dealership for a diagnostic test. No repairs have been made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 3227. Updated 03/12/10. Updated 08/30/10

- Batavia, NY, USA

Sep 102009

Prius 4-cyl

Braking problems with 2010 Toyota Prius. Since the purchase of this car on August 22, 2009, under the cash for clunkers program, my wife has repeatedly described the situation in which the brakes release unexpectedly. Specifically, when braking at low speeds while driving over a rail crossing (single track), the brakes release momentarily as the car experiences the bumping motion induced by the tracks. This can be replicated at will. In addition, she has noticed a similar momentary release of the brakes when approaching a stop sign on a slick road when the anti-lock brake mechanism was engaged. In these few cases, the car rolled past the stop sign and partially into the main travel way. Note this was not the result of sliding on slick pavement or the pulse-release of the anti-lock brake system but the release of brakes. None of these cases resulted in any physical impact or property damage--just the disconcerting feeling that the momentary loss of braking engendered. When my wife first noted this, I went to, the Prius owners forum (which I think is sponsored by Toyota). The braking issue was noted by other forum members.

- Freeport, ME, USA

Oct 222009

Prius 4-cyl

Emergency braking delay in brake action. When the vehicle ahead of me immediately hard-braked on a yellow stop light at a "red light" camera monitored intersection (westbound Illinois 38 at summit in villa park, il) I had to brake hard and maneuver to avoid rear-ending him. This was the first, and only, emergency stop situation I have had with my 2010 Toyota Prius. We were travelling just a bit below the posted 35 mph limit, and I was following at an appropriate interval (3+ seconds or about 3 car lengths). There was about a 1 second delay between jamming on the brake and significant braking action. I never experienced such a delay in my ABS equipped 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ss or my 1995 Ford Windstar LX, since this experience I drive the Prius with a greater interval, although this means other drivers regularly merge into the "safety" gap that I am trying to provide.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Jan 152010

Prius 4-cyl

2010 Prius brake applied in zero temperature weather approaching a red light on slight down sloping road covered in ice/snow. The brake pedal was pushed as would normally be applied (maybe approx 1/3 - 1/2 brake pedal travel) and there was no applied braking. The car kept rolling forward to where I had to make a decision to continue rolling with a right turn into the intersection and continue travel. Luckily the oncoming traffic was far enough away to not crash into me. I would estimate that the brake was applied for about 1-2 seconds, enough travel time to force me to make a decision that I needed to continue through the intersection before the oncoming traffic. This same type of scenario occurred on an exit off of an interstate ramp down another down slope with ice/snow that again when the brakes where applied, the regenerative engine brake applied, but when the ABS went to engage due to the slippery surface, there was a 1-2 second duration of sensation of no brakes. Pushing pedal further (or just waiting the 1-2 second delay) seemed to eventually apply brakes. I am a systems/test engineer that performs numerous work on commercial and military aircraft and I now know how to anticipate this situation for myself (I.e., I am more careful on braking earlier especially on slippery surfaces more than normal distance from my other Honda vehicles on same type of surfaces to account for this possible 1-2 delay time in braking); however, this is unacceptable for my wife who does not have the same experience as I do or same technical feeling of what this vehicle is doing. Again, if the traffic on that one intersection was closer to me than it was, there would have been a side impact collision. I have yet to experience this issue on solid roads over bumpy surfaces. With today's Toyota revelation that the Jan 2010 Prius has a fix for this, I demand to have this same fix applied to my three month old 2010 Prius.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Feb 022010

Prius 4-cyl

I was braking my 2010 Prius III when I went over some railroad tracks. The vehicle suddenly accelerated and I had to step off the brake pedal and re-apply the brakes to get the vehicle to begin braking again. The acceleration lasted for more than 1 second and the vehicle didn't start braking again, until I had reapplied the brakes.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Nov 022009

Prius 4-cyl

My husband and I have both experienced the braking issue for the 2010 Prius. When we compared notes, we found that we lose control of the brakes when we drive over a small manhole cover near our house. I have also experienced this when driving/braking over a pothole. Initially we thought we were experiencing the "slipping" motion because of unfamiliarity of new car brakes.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 052009

Prius 4-cyl

My 2010 Prius accelerates over a bumpy surface or pothole, it surges forward, when I brake over these surfaces.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA

Feb 042010

Prius 4-cyl

When our 2010 Prius goes over a bump the brakes seem to disengage and speed feels like it is increasing. Althouhg todays date is on the event this has been an ongoing concern since purchasing the vehicle last year.

- West Springfield, MA, USA

Feb 022010

Prius 4-cyl

The brakes in my 2010 Toyota Prius do not operate properly. I have had the car 3 months with 1847 miles. Over this time I must increasingly press the brake pedal closer to the floor to stop the car. Today in dry weather, I nearly hit the car almost 50 yards in front of me when it stopped and although I pressed the pedal firmly it took a very long time for the brakes to grab.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Jan 282010

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving my 2010 Toyota Prius down the road here in berkeley, ca, and applied the brakes as I was hitting a bump in the road. The brakes did not work. I thereafter lifted my foot off the brake and hit them again, at which point the brakes worked correctly.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Jul 022009

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While driving 15 mph and engaging the brake pedal the vehicle failed to stop immediately. Occasionally, the vehicle also responded as if it were hydroplaning on normal road conditions and within moments, the brakes would reset. The dealer stated that the vehicle was equipped with an ABS. The failure was a normal occurrence for the vehicle. There were no recalls. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 7 and the current mileage was 3500.

- Bronxville, NY, USA

Sep 102009

Prius 4-cyl

I want to report a momentary brake failure of 2010 Prius over uneven roads 2 months ago. I didn't report it earlier because I didn't know if it was a one-off or systematic issue. Two months ago, I was driving a newly owned Prius with hardly 4000 miles on it over a stretch of rt. 93 from andover to boston. I was traveling at about 65 - 70 mph on the left fastest lane. I cam across a bumpy patch, probably the road was being repaired, and it was not late for me to slow down as I didn't expect such unevenness on a major highway. I stepped on the brake while the car was being tossed up and down by the bumps and I immediately felt that the car lost braking. Luckily, there was no car ahead of me and the braking did recover after the car settled down. I owned 4 Toyota's from SUV to the hybrid and Prius is the only one that has this problem. I just want to support other people's complaints about this car. I must say that the braking did recover quickly that a collision was not likely unless someone drive the car very fast on an uneven road that is also crowded. However, a car should not behave like this under any conditions.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Dec 272009

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While driving 15 mph in snowy conditions the contact applied the brake pedal to stop the vehicle and it failed to stop and proceeded through the intersection and crashed into a pole. No one was injured during the crash. The contact had the vehicle towed to a dealer to repair the front end. The contact stated that the braking system failed and caused the vehicle to crash. The failure mileage was 8,800.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Dec 282009

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph while driving over pothole with his foot on the brake pedal when the vehicle accelerated on it own. This failure occurred 5 times and has continued to occur every two weeks. The dealer confirmed that the ABS system caused the failure to occur. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The vehicle identification number was unavailable. The failure mileage was 200 and the current mileage was 900.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 052010

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. She stated that while applying the brakes at any speed more than 5 mph and over a pothole the vehicle responded as if the brakes had failed and it attempted to accelerate. Within seconds, the brakes would reset and function normally. The manufacturer nor the dealer were notified. There were no related recalls. The failure and current mileages were 8,400.

- Frankford, IL, USA

Oct 152009

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While driving 25 mph over uneven pavement the vehicle became difficult stop while engaging the brake pedal. The vehicle also accelerated intermittently. The contact has informed a local dealer about the failure who stated that Toyota has not issued a recall. The contact is concerned that the brake failure could potentially cause a crash to occur. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage 8,000.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Feb 012010

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. She stated while braking at speeds of less than 15 mph and going over a pothole and railroad tracks the brakes would intermittently hesitate to function properly. Within moments, the brakes would respond normally. On a separate occasion, while traveling in snowy conditions at speeds of under 30 mph, she attempted to depress the brake pedal and it would not engage. The vehicle did not slide; however, the brakes did not engage and she proceeded to crash into a curb causing moderate damage to the front passenger's side tire and rim. There was also a loud grinding noise coming from the vehicle after the crash occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where she was awaiting repairs. There were no recalls. The failure and current mileages were 1200.

- Vernon Hills , IL, USA

Jan 022010

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. While engaging the brake pedal driving approximately 20 mph over a pothole, the brakes temporarily failed to function. The failure occurred whenever he drove over rough road surfaces. The dealer stated that when a fix becomes available they would notify him. The manufacturer was not notified. The current mileage was approximately 4,000. The failure mileage was approximately 2,500.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Oct 012009

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Prius. While driving approximately 5 mph on uneven pavement the vehicle lunged forward and she was forced to engage the brake pedal twice to stop the vehicle. The failure occurred 10 times prior to having it diagnosed by the dealer. The dealer stated that nothing was wrong with the vehicle. The failure mileage was 4. the current mileage was 3,800. Updated 03/12/10. The consumer stated the dealer fix the problem as soon as the recall was announced. Updated 07/13/10

- Denver, CO, USA