2010 Toyota Prius engine problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 272015

Prius

On February 27, 2015, our house burned in the middle of the night while we were asleep. The fire started in the near vicinity of the right front headlight of the 2010 Toyota Prius. The car had been serviced just before the fire on February 25, 2015 at the local Toyota dealership. The car was off at the time and the key was not in the car at the time of the fire. While we were sleeping, the car evidently caught fire spontaneously at approximately 2 a.M. while it was parked in the garage. The garage door was closed. By the time we woke up, the garage was fully engulfed in flames. We were able to escape the fire. However, our house was too severely damaged (fire, smoke and water) after the fire to be livable, and it is currently being rebuilt. Our family of four (husband, wife and two children, 15 and almost 11 years old) is currently living in a rental house. We lost all three of our cars (the other cars were a Dodge durango and a Honda Accord) and a majority of our possessions. Damages are estimated to be likely in excess of $500,000 including house, cars, damage to landscaping, personal property, furniture, clothing, etc. Our homeowner's insurance is seeking a subrogation claim against Toyota for the expenses incurred regarding our claim. The Prius is scheduled to have a deconstructive exam soon with multiple parties present and is currently being held as evidence.

- Davis, CA, USA

Jul 242015

Prius

Excessive oil consumption, 2-3 qt per 5000 miles.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Prius

Waiting for reply from Toyota: Increased oil consumption past 100K miles normal for a 2010 Toyota Prius at 1 quart per 2000 miles? oil soot wiped from exhaust pipe. Yellow low oil warning light and beep sounds when making hard turns. On June 1, 2015 at 101131 miles, oil level was down 2 quarts and requested an oil change and filter from dealer. About 2000 miles later on June 26, 2015 at 103300 miles, 1 quart of 5-30 sae mobile 1 full synthetic oil for high mileage cars was added to top off.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

May 012015

Prius

Vehicle suddenly has excessive oil consumption at around 110000. Serviced at dealer since new, no leaks. Need to add oil every 1K miles. When service light came on, dipstick was dry.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Mar 312014

Prius

Serious oil consumption. Took it to three different Toyota dealerships and they all have said the oil consumption is within normal limits. Have to add oil every1000 miles. I never had to add oil to a car and this my third Toyota. The third dealership even told me to trade it in and get a new one. I have seen others complain about this on carcomplaints.com. Toyota should pay to repair the positions/engine.

- Kingsland, TX, USA

Mar 022015

Prius

Burning oil 1 quart every 1000 miles. Oil consumption. Piston issue. Requires piston rings replacement. Smell burning oil in air vents. Cost of repair at $7,000 per Toyota. Toyota says oil consumption within normal limits. This is wrong. Request Toyota to repair vehicle and Toyota to pay for repairs.

- Saugus, CA, USA

Apr 212015

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving approximately 35 mph and all of a sudden the car stalled and stated, "check hybrid system". stopped the car right away called my insurance company for emergency road service and had the car towed to a Toyota facility where they diagnosed the problem as a failed inverter, which is part of the hybrid system. This is a safety issue and must be addressed. If I had been on a freeway or in heavy traffic, I could see this being a very dangerous scenario.

- East Falmouth, MA, USA

Mar 042015

Prius 4-cyl

On March 4th 2015 at 8:00 am, my wife was trying to change a parking spot into another about 50 feet away in the same church parking lot. She started the engine and the car was put on drive. Within a fraction of a second, the car accelerated beyond control. She could not steer or stop the car. The car jumped a curb, hit a light pool and landed on a grassy area. Tire marks reveal that the car experienced a sudden rush of acceleration beyond control ┐┐unintended acceleration.┐Ł my wife is still under doctor┐'s observation. The car front right; bumper, tire, fender, door, "a" pillar, and other parts were damaged. The car was towed to daytona Toyota and is still there since March 4th 2015. On March 6th 2015 a report was electronically filed with Toyota motor sales, U.S.a., Inc. On March 20th 2015, a "cdr" crash data retrieval was taken. The car has not been repaired. Even if the car is repairable, I would hesitate to drive it, let my wife drive it or with clear conscious sell it to any other human being. Please help us to mitigate the situation.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Apr 032013

Prius 4-cyl

This has happened several times over the past two years. As I brake at low speeds, the car surges ahead as though your foot is on the accelerator. Sometimes it was so subtle, you wondered if it really happened. Today (11/23/14) there was absolutely no mistaking it. The car surged forward a couple of feet as I was slowing to turn left. If someone had been stopped in front of me, I would have hit them from behind.

- Essex Junction, VT, USA

Nov 182014

Prius

Vehicle was being driven when a smell of smoke was detected. Upon stopping, smoke came from the engine compartment. Within 3 minutes the vehicle started on fire, extending to the roll up garage door. The fire burned the engine compartment, passenger area, garage door and siding before the fire department extinguished.

- Everett, WA, USA

Aug 112014

Prius 4-cyl

About a mile after having entered the freeway as I was merging towards the carpool lane the car shut off in the number three lane.the dashboard displayed the message, "check hybrid system", and would not respond. My speed was approximately 65 mph when this occurred. I immediately pressed on the brake but the car was not slowing down as it normally does. When I finally got over to the number 1 lane, I entered the emergency lane but was still having trouble coming to a stop. I brushed up against the freeway wall in order to come to a complete stop. After switching the car off and attempting to restart it, I would get no respond and all the dashboard indicators would remain on with the "check hybrid system" displayed. This incident was terrifying as I was driving with my two year old daughter and two other occupants. The car should have displayed a warning and not simply stalled out. If this incident had taken place a few minutes later, I would have been in the hov lane and could have resulted in a devastating accident.

- Montclair, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Prius 4-cyl

I am writing due to having had my 2010 Toyota Prius self accelerate while driving on four occasions. This began occurring after I took my vehicle to Toyota of clermont, Florida for a routine service on 3/31/2014. While the vehicle was there, the dealership also performed a recall on the vehicle. This recall is referenced as: Tech(s) : 20799 recall eoe motor generator and power management update perform software update for mg ECU and power management ECU agg09A 0.7 as of 8/5/2014 my vehicle has had unintended acceleration on 4 occasions. In 3 of the 4 I know it has occurred as I released the brake. This release is confirmed by the fact that it is necessary to reapply the brake to stop the acceleration. The 4th occurrence may also have occurred after a brake release. I have attempted to resolve this problem via both my local Toyota dealer and Toyota customer experience center at 1 800 331-4331. I am being told the problem is operator error. I have done the research to see if this is even possible. For me to apply the brake and fuel simultaneously would be both extremely difficult and very obvious. Additionally if this diagnosis were correct the vehicle would stop accelerating when the brake was released. In fact the vehicle accelerates when the brake is released not while the brake is depressed.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Jul 252014

Prius 4-cyl

The hybrid inverter assembly failed when I tried to accelerate from a stop onto a rural highway. This occurred approximately two months after receiving the motor generator ECU and power management ECU software update that was intended to prevent this type of failure.I was notified of this update/recall in late March 2014 and had the update completed at a authorized Toyota service center.

- Grass Valley, CA, USA

Jun 252014

Prius

Was traveling about 65 mph on route 11 in ct when red lights come on and car slows to 20 mph.pulle to side of road and called aaa/towed to hartford Toyota in hartford ct. First told it was a hybrid battery then told it was the inverter which they said is on back order. Now I, M getting the run around from the main office in California.. brought car in for a recall on software update in Feb 2014 and from what I read this may cause the invert to fail thanks for your attention in this matter.

- Newington, CT, USA

May 132014

Prius 4-cyl

2010 Prius 2. multiple occasions of complete loss of engine power and stalling at various speeds. Coasted to the side of the road and restarted/rebooted car. All interior lights stayed on but the engine was off. Dealer could not replicate the problem and could find no faults.

- Old Chatham, NY, USA

May 282014

Prius 4-cyl

Two occurrences. Was driving 65 mph when suddenly car began to lose power. Was unable to regain any power but was able to coast to stop on shoulder. Pressed the on/off button to off. Waited a few seconds and pushed it on. Was then able to drive again. However about 3 miles later at 25 mph the same thing happened. Both situations occurred during a turn with an uphill grade. First time the grade change was V.gradual the second time much more abrupt. No such problems the previous year we have owned the car. Dealer said no codes were found during a scan.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jul 162013

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving with the flow of traffic (around 30 mph) on a main surface street in a middle lane of a multilane street when suddenly the engine stopped, and I was unable to make the engine respond. The car immediately began to slow down; I could not make it accelerate to keep in the flow of traffic. I managed to carefully drift over to the right and maneuver through an intersection and glide to a stop on the right side of the road. I turned off the engine and repeatedly tried to restart it to no avail. I called for towing service and had the car towed to my Toyota dealer, where the service people said it was an "internal failure" and replaced the inverter assembly. What has terrified me is that I could have been on the freeway driving at least 60 mph, where the consequences would be devastating to me and others. I asked if Toyota would be reporting this to the NHTSA, and they said that was an internal determination. I asked if this had happened before to others and did not receive a clear answer.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Feb 242014

Prius 4-cyl

On Monday February 24th 2014 my 2010 Toyota Prius, hybrid inverter failed while I was driving and my car suddenly stopped on the road. I looked on the instrument panel and the check hybrid system was illuminated. The car would not start. I decided to call a toll truck company to take me to the nearest Toyota dealer. Once I arrived the service advisor informed me, the 2010 Toyota Prius has two active safety recalls. I was never notified. The two safety recalls are the hybrid inverter & brake booster pump assembly. Today is Thursday February 27th 2014 and the Toyota dealer has failed to repair and return my car. The Toyota dealer stated this is a safety recall, they need permission from Toyota headquarters to approve parts. I pleaded with the Toyota dealer to provide me with a vehicle, while I wait, they refused.

- New York, NY, USA

Jan 292013

Prius 4-cyl

Driving on freeway and car overheated. There was never any warnings of overheating problems before. Pulled over on freeway and had car towed to auto service. Water-pump was not working, fan stopped turning, cost to replace was $1260, Toyota would not help as car was out of warranty.

- Jamul, CA, USA

Nov 052012

Prius

While carefully parking my Prius 2010 at a hospital it accelerated suddenly and crashed over the cement curb. I say carefully because my Prius had done this before but not enough damage was done to file with insurance. There followed another accident and another accident. Then this evening while driving into my carport my Prius accelerated again. It threw my dog that was in the front seat to the floor but I was able to avoid car damage as I was going to stop. I was barely moving, that is I still had my foot on the accelerator, maybe I could say coasting, when this acceleration suddenly occurred. This was the same type acceleration that caused all the prior accidents. I have reported this to Toyota... and now you. Hopefully you will help me. My Prius is in the carport. It has not been moved. However, it is my only transportation. My Prius' latest happening, before the one just stated, the hybrid system quit working during rush hour traffic on the interstate near a busy intersection. This was repaired before Toyota sent some one to investigate the prior accidents. If more information is needed just let me know. This Prius also had a battery replaced shortly after it was purchased as a new vehicle. This Prius has wheel rim scratches.

- Chatham, LA, USA