2010 Toyota Prius engine problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Apr 212015

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving approximately 35 mph and all of a sudden the car stalled and stated, "check hybrid system". stopped the car right away called my insurance company for emergency road service and had the car towed to a Toyota facility where they diagnosed the problem as a failed inverter, which is part of the hybrid system. This is a safety issue and must be addressed. If I had been on a freeway or in heavy traffic, I could see this being a very dangerous scenario.

- East Falmouth, MA, USA

Aug 112014

Prius 4-cyl

About a mile after having entered the freeway as I was merging towards the carpool lane the car shut off in the number three lane.the dashboard displayed the message, "check hybrid system", and would not respond. My speed was approximately 65 mph when this occurred. I immediately pressed on the brake but the car was not slowing down as it normally does. When I finally got over to the number 1 lane, I entered the emergency lane but was still having trouble coming to a stop. I brushed up against the freeway wall in order to come to a complete stop. After switching the car off and attempting to restart it, I would get no respond and all the dashboard indicators would remain on with the "check hybrid system" displayed. This incident was terrifying as I was driving with my two year old daughter and two other occupants. The car should have displayed a warning and not simply stalled out. If this incident had taken place a few minutes later, I would have been in the hov lane and could have resulted in a devastating accident.

- Montclair, CA, USA

May 022014

Prius

Making a right turn at 15 mph and upon pressing gas pedal to accelerate after completing turn, power is reduced to 'limp home mode' at 10 mph. Check hybrid system message appears on center console. 1 mile later the vehicle loses all power and will not restart. Emergency towed to nearest Toyota dealership. Inverter on backorder from los angeles warehouse and estimate is 3 weeks to replace. Retail price of inverter plus labor and rental car expenses all covered under warranty is about $11,000 usd. Toyota has been exemplary in this ordeal and taking care of the customer. This is a heads up to other owners of inverter related to recall: Recall subject : inverter failure may cause hybrid vehicle to stall report receipt date: Feb 12, 2014 NHTSA campaign number: 14V053000 component(s): Hybrid propulsion system.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA