2010 Toyota Prius seat belts / air bags problems

2010 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Dec 302010

Prius 4-cyl

My driving record was clean until this 2010 Prius. In one year I have had two accidents and several incidents, all of which I am now convinced due to brake failure. The first accident took place end of December 2010. I was going only about 10 mph. I hit the brakes repeatedly to try to get the car to stop. At the time I thought the car did not stop because of ice, but now after this 2nd accident and researching other Prius reports, I am convinced this first accident was also because the brakes failed to work. Since I did not suspect this at the time, I did not report it or have the brakes checked when the car was repaired. The 2nd accident was last night, Dec 8th, 2011. I was traveling between 25-30 mph. The brakes clearly failed to work, and I hit a car stopped at the traffic light in front of me. I had plenty of distance to stop. The car did not slow down, if anything, it may have speeded up, but I cannot definitely say this, as I was too freaked out looking at the car I was going to hit to check my speed. The road was not icy. The impact demolished the front end of the Prius. My air bag also did not inflate. I have whiplash from this second accident. Fortunately no one else was injured. I now realize I had several other brake 'slippage' problems last winter that did not result in accidents and I did not identify then as brake problems. I thought it was my snow tires, even though they were brand new. I took the car back to the tire dealer last month who said they had no other complaints about that brand of tire, but I so concerned I had them replace the tires anyway with new ones of a different brand. I have opened a case with Toyota after I started to research 2010 Prius and found a recall on this model and year from before I leased this car. Toyota says there is not a recall on my VIN#. I want Toyota to take responsibility for this accident and take back the car.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Aug 252011

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated as he was driving 15 mph his vehicle crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and the top of the seat belt malfunctioned. The contact sustained whip lash and chest injuries; he was taken to the hospital. A police was filed. There was extensive damage to the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an auto body shop. The insurance company was notified. The dealer nor manufacturer were notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,500.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 172010

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, she crashed head-on with another vehicle. She stated that the air bags did not deploy and the safety belt did not restrain her properly. The contact and a passenger received major injuries to the liver, ribs, neck, ankle, and hands. Police report was filed. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The manufacturer stated that an investigator would be sent to inspect the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 9,000. Updated 12/14/2011 updated 04/25/11

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Dec 042010

Prius

2010 Toyota Prius: Chronic failure of passenger air bag and seat belt warning light systems. Dashboard lights indicating passenger seat belt is unfastened and passenger air bag is off illuminate unexpectedly, and remain illuminated, whether anyone is in the passenger seat or not, and whether the passenger seat belt is fastened or not. Problem does not go away by merely shutting down and exiting the vehicle; erroneous indications recur as soon as the car is reentered and started up again. Five different visits to Toyota service centers have been made for this issue, with "repairs" lasting for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before the problem occurs again. There does not seem to be any pattern to what transpired leading up to the failure. The problem most recently occurred on 12/4/10, however, as of this date (12/6/10) the car has not yet been taken back to a service center. Notes: (1) "approx incident date" in "complaint info" section is of the most recent occurrence. First occurrence was mid-July, 2010.(2) "mileage" and "speed" shown in "vehicle information" section represent the first occurrence of this problem. Mileage at most recent occurrence was 13714. Speeds varied from occurrence to occurrence.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Oct 232009

Prius

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into and through a garage; the air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained a bruised heart, broken sternum and two broken ribs. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance outside of taking a complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 3,400.

- Highland , NC, USA

Dec 182009

Prius

On December 18, 2009 at 4:40 pm in the still-light late afternoon we struck a deer in the road with our 2010 Toyota Prius.  the car was less than one month old and still on its first tank of gas. We have lived in a semi-rural area of New Jersey for over 30 years.  deer in the road is a frequent occurrence here.  but in 30 years, though we have had countless sudden collision-avoidance stops in other cars including our 2007 Prius, we have never had an accident. On December 18, traveling at approximately 35 mph on dry, but aged asphalt we observed a deer entering the road.  to avoid a collision, the brakes were jammed on.  but this time the braking event seemed to occur in slow motion.  it was the first sudden stop required of this new car.  eventually the ABS system engaged and the car came to a stop, but only after striking the deer with such force that the car sustained $2500 worth of front end damage.  lights, the bumper and front panels needed to be replaced.  the airbags did not deploy.  police and insurance reports were filed. Toyota has recently acknowledged a software-based delay of one second in transferring braking from the electronic regenerative system to the hydraulic brakes.  at  35 mph, that is an extra 51 feet traveled in that one second before the hydraulic brakes engage.  that 51 feet would have provided more than enough distance to avoid the collision. Until this unsafe condition is resolved, we have taken our 2010 Prius off the road.

- Gillette, NJ, USA