5.0

2011 Toyota Prius brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Prius:

2011 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Jun 182012

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle failed to drive in a straight line and drifted to the left and right. The contact had to constantly adjust the steering wheel. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 10. Updated 11/20/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was overly sensitive to heavy wind. The consumer owns another Prius with the same failure. Updated 10/5/2015

- Blairsville, PA, USA

Aug 012013

Prius 4-cyl

While driving at a slow speed, the traction control, brake and ABS failure lights came on. When I attempted to stop the vehicle, the brake pedal went to the floor without actuating the ABS system. I was unable to stop the vehicle using the service brakes. Since I was traveling at a low speed, I was able to slow down and come to a full stop using the parking brake. Now the vehicle is parked and undriveable. I contacted my local Toyota dealer requesting service and was told that they did not have a brake master cylinder or hydraulic brake booster in stock. I checked a second dealer and they told me that you can only get the two units together and that they were on national back order with no eta. Since purchase, I have experienced the issue that many people are reporting where the brakes release over rough road surfaces and the vehicle feels as if its accelerating. If you release and reapply the brakes it would stop. Like others, I dismissed this as a peculiar dynamic of the vehicle, however I am now convinced that there is a serious design flaw in this braking system which requires a deeper investigation. I have been in the auto industry for over 30 years and I can attest that it is not normal to have a total loss of your braking system like this, especially in a well maintained vehicle that is relatively new and have low mileage. This vehicle is now parked and available for your inspection if needed.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Oct 012011

Prius 4-cyl

Vehicle loses braking function while traveling over potholes, recessed manhole covers, and all other types of rough road surfaces. Braking function is delayed and does not return to previous power/braking strength after traversing the obstacle; this results in the need to depress the brake pedal further to re-engage enough braking function to stop the vehicle safely. Serious concern is that if the vehicle is under hard braking at the time of the event will there be enough travel left in the brake pedal to reengage the brakes enough to stop. I have experienced this regularly, one or more times per month, since I purchased the car. Up until now most occurrences have been just a minor annoyance. I researched the phenomenon on the web and many just write it off as a nuisance / minor quirk of the vehicle so I accepted that opinion and continued on enjoying the car. That is until May 21, 2013 when under hard braking (30-35mph driving speed then heavy braking to 0mph) the vehicle traveled over a recessed manhole cover and it felt like it fully lost all of its braking power and nearly sent me into the back of the vehicle stopping hard ahead of me. I had to floor the brakes before I felt any braking power return after the bump. This issue will lead to an accident if it has not already. Please keep an eye on it.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

May 132012

Prius 4-cyl

Happen twice hit the brakes fairly hard on rough pavement not real rough didn't bounce just felt like I was on ice nothing there just a second or so but felt like a long time if a car would have been in front of me don't know if I could have stopped in time.

- French Lick, IN, USA

Feb 032012

Prius

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Prius. The contact was driving uphill at 5 mph and in three inches of snow when the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the sds warning light. The dealer was notified of the failure who stated that the warning light was illuminated in forward mode only to demonstrate in what mode the vehicle was operating. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact no longer owned the vehicle. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA