2012 Toyota Prius seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Prius:

2012 Toyota Prius Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 102016

Takata recall

- Adelphi, MD, USA

Nov 042016

Prius

Really appalling that the airbags ware not deployed after a big collision when the whole front of the car was smashed as seen in the pic.this happen on downtown are in columbus in 5 and spring I

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Sep 022016

Prius

Takata recall. No solution for this yet

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Jul 012012

Prius

Takata recall. Nhsta shows recall but also shows that Toyota doesn't have a remedy. Why not"!" nothing has happened regarding the defect but I'm concerned it May. Bloomberg says takata uses ammonium nitrate (fertilizer) as a propellant which is apparently unstable.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jul 092016

Prius

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Prius. While driving 21 mph, the contact crashed into the passenger side of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the seat belt also failed to hold the driver in place. A police report was not filed. The contact sustained a fractured sternum, which required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,569.

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Dec 072015

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2012 Toyota Prius. While driving 60 mph, the engine stalled. Various warning lights illuminated and a beeping noise was present. The contact's vehicle coasted to a stop and was rear ended by another vehicle. A police report was filed. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the forearm that required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V053000 (electrical system, hybrid propulsion system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000.......updated 04/01/16

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 082015

Prius

Wife in accident with side impact and front impact approximately 35-40 mph ran off of a road with no shoulder side impact with oak tree then front impact with another oak tree. No airbags deployed. Vehicle totaled. Emt and chp commented that unusual that airbags did not deploy. I was amazed as well!....updated 12/30/15

- Placerville, CA, USA

Oct 292014

Prius 4-cyl

I was involved in a front end collision with a bobcat front end loader. I struck the implement broadside going 35 mph. There was no damage to the implement. My car was totaled and the airbag deployed. After going to the hospital and a chest X-ray, ultrasound, and ct scan, it was diagnosed I had fractured my sternum. I am six feet tall and had my seat all the way back. I am questioning whether there have been any other people sustaining a fractured sternum due to an air bag deployment at 35 mph?

- Riverview, FL, USA

Apr 162014

Prius 4-cyl

I was rear ended while stopped, by a vehicle reported to be doing 40 mph. My vehicle sustained rear bumper damage from the car hitting mine and front bumper / engine compartment damage from the car I subsequently hit. Total damage in excess of $11,000. The air bag did not deploy, but I didn't know if the impact was severe enough to activate it. However, when reviewing the repair invoice, I noticed the air bag sensor was replaced. Apparently it should have activated the system but didn't.

- Gold Canyon, AZ, USA

Jun 252014

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway 59 feeder road southwards towards university blvd in the left most lane. A car came and hit the passenger side of my car. Due to the impact my car rolled over onto the curb, hit the grass and flipped back into the lane again. I was in complete and utter shock and trauma and soon enough I noticed the blood on me. My left side (head, shoulder and elbow) was paining badly. My seat belt was still on, my leg was on the brake and windows shattered and glass was all over the place, air bags were not deployed. I turned off the engine, moved shift rod into park position and applied the hand brake. A man and his son (I believe) witnessed the accident and came to me within a few minutes. They called ems. While waiting for emergency to arrive, I got my cell phone from my backpack, which was on the passenger seat, and called my father. A few minutes later, another person, came up to me and said he witnessed the accident as well and stayed near my car. I did not move from the drivers seat or open the door because I was too afraid to open the door...few minutes later, the emergency personnel came. They opened the car door and cleared a few things and put me on a stretcher. They put a neck brace and restrained my head from moving and strapped me onto the stretcher. They picked up my backpack as well. My dad came as they were putting me on the stretcher. I was immediately rushed to the nearest er... I have concern about the airbag. Why the airbags did not deploy". would you be able to investigate" I authorize my father (phone number provided below) to discuss about this incident. Updated 08-20-14 updated 8/28/2014..updated 09-09-14

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

May 242014

Prius 4-cyl

At approximately 14:35 on Saturday May 24 2014, the car behind me was hit by an SUV that didn't brake when he came to a totally stopped long line of traffic on hwy 101 sb. I estimate that the SUV was traveling at a speed of at least 55 mph when it struck the car behind me. The car behind me then struck the back of my 2012 Prius plug-in vehicle pushing the front of my car into another SUV in front of me. 4 vehicles were involved, others took heavy damage. None of my airbags deployed, and I began feeling lower left side neck pains the day after the accident.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Apr 242014

Prius

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 40 mph, another vehicle crashed into the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle spun around and rolled over. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a head concussion and a bulging disk in his back injury. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V014000 (air bags). The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 082014

Prius

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, he lost control of the vehicle and crashed. The contact could not recall what they crashed into. Upon impact the air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic where the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was informed of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 43,230.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 042014

Prius

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle was crashed into from the rear. The driver attempted to engage the brakes however, the brakes became unresponsive. As a result, the driver crashed into another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Armonk, NY, USA

Nov 122013

Prius

My 2012 Prius was hit in back on passenger side at approximately 80-85 miles/hour while my speed was 62 M/H. with impact from hit in the back, my car went flying head on into the median wall (those temporary cement walls used during reconstruction). Two things happened were: 1. after the first impact my Prius had total power loss, not even emergency flasher light would turn on; 2. non of airbags deployed. I am wondering if all this is normal for this car or there is some sort of malfunction or manufacturing defect?

- Stockton, CA, USA

Sep 052013

Prius

While traveling in a rain storm at 17mph, I tried to engage the brakes to prevent from crashing into an 18 wheeler and the brakes did not work. I repeatedly tried to stop the car and the car was accelerating even thought I was applying the brakes not the gas. The car would not shut down, go into park or neutral. I did crash into the 18 wheeler because the engine was accelerating and I wanted to stop.when I crashed the airbags did not deploy. Even after impact the car was still accelerating like it was trying to push the 18 wheeler. Eventually the car powered down after repeatedly pushing every button possible. I had the car towed to a Toyota dealership. I phoned your hotline but the VIN number I gave had a number that was wrong my prior confirmation number is 10542285. Toyota is aware and I am waiting for them to call me back.

- Pearand, TX, USA

Apr 262013

Prius

I experienced a front end collision in my new 2012 Prius with 2,500 mileage. The collision vehicle speed was nearly 30 mph. The seat belt did not restrain me and the airbag did not deploy. I was taken to the hospital and sustained a fractured sternum due to hitting the steering wheel and whiplash. There was significant damage to the front end of the vehicle. Toyota's response after their own inspection was "our inspection found no evidence of a manufacturing or design defect with the airbag or seat belts."

- Walton Hills, OH, USA

Mar 042013

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle veered into oncoming traffic, ran onto the sidewalk, then crashed into a tree. Upon impact, the air bags failed to deploy. The driver received injuries to the nose, back, and knees and also sustained two black eyes. The passenger did not sustain any injuries. The police were contacted and a report was available. The vehicle was later towed to an independent mechanic and the vehicle was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 2,500.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 172012

Prius

The contact owns a 2012 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, another vehicle crashed into the driver's side of the contact's vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags did not deploy and the seat belts did restrain her. The contact was transported to the hospital via ambulance for treatment. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage yard. The vehicle was not inspected for the cause of the air bag failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and the current mileage was 1,200.

- Greenlawn , NY, USA

Sep 082012

Prius 4-cyl

2012 Toyota Prius. Consumer writes in regards to malfunction of vehicle seat belt and airbags. The consumer's wife was involved in an accident on September 8, 2012. The vehicle received severe front-end damage to the extent of almost $12,000. When the vehicle was stuck by an on-coming vehicle, her seat belt did not prevent her from hitting her chest on the steering wheel nor did the air bag deploy in time. She received severe bruising, severe pain and discomfort, and stress. Also, the lower dash knee air bag failed to deploy in time to prevent severe bruising to his wife's knees. Toyota sent the consumer a letter stating there was no evidence of any manufacturing defect with the air bags or seat belt.

- Graysville, TN, USA