2013 Toyota Prius drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Prius:

2013 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Aug 272014

I was driving on the highway at 55~60mph, and suddenly the power steering trouble light indicator came on. I noticed the steering wheel was a bit harder to turn( left or right). I slowed down and took the first exit, reducing speed to 30~35mph. At the stop sign, all indicators light came on and I couldn't turn the steering wheel (left or right). I was able to accelerate out of the stop sign, but then I felt a "thugh" in the engine, and notice I didn't have any braking power for a few second. So I pulled over, I turned the car off, and turned on again, I immediately drove into a parking lot after the stop sign, the car just died; I couldn't brake, no steering, no gas power, nothing. The car was towed to Toyota dealership. This was the 2nd incidence within 3 weeks. The first time this occurred with similar sequence of failure. The car was towed to Toyota dealership and they said the auxiliary battery died, and replaced it free of charge ( car was 24,250 miles at that time). This second time, I hope Toyota can find the root cause of this issue. I don't think the new auxiliary battery died again. It's only been 3 weeks since Toyota installed the battery. This is a huge safety risk. I'm afraid to drive my car now. I think I will need to sell the car.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 202013

The contact owns 2013 Toyota Prius 5. the contact stated that whenever she was driving in reverse, the vehicle would jerk violently. In addition, the interior dome light would illuminate sporadically. The contact stated that all of the lights on the instrument panel and radio console failed to illuminate after starting the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 3,000. The current mileage was 10,900.

- Brooksfield, FL, USA