2013 Toyota Prius fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Prius:

2013 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Jul 272014

Prius 4-cyl

The rented 2013 Toyota Prius with one passenger and the driver, pulled into a diagonal parking space in front of a strip mall store. Traveling at maybe 5 mph to park, the car's brake pedal gave way and hit the floor flat, providing no braking at all. The car kept rolling toward the corner of the brick building. The car then suddenly surged ahead, smashing into the corner of the entry to the brick building at such a sudden force that the doors to the building were wedged shut. After emergency vehicle took the driver and passenger to the hospital, the policeman on the job, as well as the wrecker service that came to extract the vehicle, could not move the car because there were no brakes, as stated in the police report. The wrecker driver could not load the vehicle to tow using the car's power because there were no brakes. No airbags deployed, but the condition of the corner shows damage that a vehicle moving faster than 5 mph would incur. The policeman came to the hospital to inform the driver that there indeed were no brakes on the car and the driver was not at fault - the vehicle's braking and acceleration systems had failed.

- Edgewater, FL, USA

Apr 072012

Prius 4-cyl

The dates I am not sure of it wouldn't let me continue with out putting in a date and the same for mileage and speed, I had my car updated by Toyota they said it was a voluntary recall, exactly after the update I now get 10-15 miles less a gallon and my vehicle hesitates on acceleration 1-3 seconds, I have brought the car back 2 times and was told that they haven't heard of any complaints about problems after the update I left my car with them both times on a Friday and picked up on a Monday they said they recalibrated the computer the first time and it had better mileage until I filled up and reset the odometer and back to the less mileage again, 2nd time they said I needed a fuel system clean and another thing, I did them both and nothing again no change (they said it might improve my miles some ). I have been on social network site Prius chat etc. And others are experiencing the same thing and more I feel like im gettinga run around with them (Toyota) it has cost me almost $500 to get no where, and the loss of miles is costly also I own a hybrid and feels like in driving a standard 4 cylinder, the acceleration delay started about a month ago im gonna bring it back for both problems and I expect to be told I need something else (tune up etc)that wont resolve my issue thank you

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Mar 292014

Prius 4-cyl

Collision: A collision never occurred with any object, based on the physical location, where the vehicle came to rest. I enclose three (3) photographs showing the condition of the car, the two right tires blown out, and the car having ground to a haltfrom the weight of vehicle as it sharply veered right into (not onto) the right hand shoulder of 101. I lost control after hearing a bang, but no airbag deployed, further proving there was no collision. Location: The officer reported the location of the incident being at the intersection of 101 and 18th street (where there also is an overpass): However, after comparing my photographs and the unique geographic features in the photos to google maps, I was able to correctly identify the crash site about 15-20 meters past the 22nd street pedestrian overpass, where the highway grade is uphill curving left; & signs say to reduce speed to from 55 to 50 mph approaching the top of potrero hill, near sf general hospital. There is no guard rail or sign posts to hit; only a soft shoulder (bordered by shrubbery) exists where I came to a halt: There was nothing (no objects) to collide with. (see attached) road condition: Very narrow shoulder: Maybe 5 feet. Pebbles rocks and dirt make up the shoulder, and slightly affected the car's direction, but primarily caused damage, pulling off the read bumper, scratching the body throughout, and causing the front right wheel to collapse like a beer can, after the front right, then the rear right tire blew out. I attempted to push the car, at my own risk from the right lane, but it felt as if all four brakes had seized, so I could not budge the vehicle so much as 1/10th of a millimeter, with all my weight and strength.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 192013

Prius 4-cyl

While driving the car--on numerous occasions--the dash lights all illuminate at once, followed by unresponsive controls for a few seconds. Then the dash lights go out (return to normal) and normal controls and acceleration return.

Jul 162013

Prius 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway the car's dash lit up and the car's engine died and then restarted. The fuel quantity displayed, decreased by three bars before returning to it's normal--accurate--level. The car then drove normally and allowed me to get it into the driveway.

Jul 122013

Prius 4-cyl

While slowing down for a red light the car's electronics made a beeping noise, all the dash lights came on, the gas gauge displayed a rapidly dropping quantity, then went back up to half full. A red triangle was displayed on the dash during this time. During this time, the car was completely disabled and unable to move and was sitting in the intersection. I tried multiple times to restart the car, the dash lights would come on, but the car wasn't actually running or responding to pedal inputs. After 7 minutes the car finally started back up and I was able to drive to the dealership. I left the car's engine running (ev mode while parked) and they hooked it up to the computer. They said everything was fine and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. This has happened before, and it happened again, two days after the dealership gave me my car back (they kept it that weekend).