6.4

2013 Toyota Prius steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Prius:

2013 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

May 112016

Prius

In heavy rains breaking does not work well. Even at 10 mph if you hit a puddle of water. Can cause a crash. It has happened on a dirt road going at low speed. Back road where water rises and in some heavy rain on the highway

- Danville, VA, USA

Aug 272014

Prius

I was driving on the highway at 55~60mph, and suddenly the power steering trouble light indicator came on. I noticed the steering wheel was a bit harder to turn( left or right). I slowed down and took the first exit, reducing speed to 30~35mph. At the stop sign, all indicators light came on and I couldn't turn the steering wheel (left or right). I was able to accelerate out of the stop sign, but then I felt a "thugh" in the engine, and notice I didn't have any braking power for a few second. So I pulled over, I turned the car off, and turned on again, I immediately drove into a parking lot after the stop sign, the car just died; I couldn't brake, no steering, no gas power, nothing. The car was towed to Toyota dealership. This was the 2nd incidence within 3 weeks. The first time this occurred with similar sequence of failure. The car was towed to Toyota dealership and they said the auxiliary battery died, and replaced it free of charge ( car was 24,250 miles at that time). This second time, I hope Toyota can find the root cause of this issue. I don't think the new auxiliary battery died again. It's only been 3 weeks since Toyota installed the battery. This is a huge safety risk. I'm afraid to drive my car now. I think I will need to sell the car.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 012014

Prius 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the steering wheel pulled to the left and right while driving various speeds. The contact had to use excessive force to steer the vehicle in its appropriate lane. In addition, the door locks activated independently and failed to unlock occasionally with the electronic control. The dealer attempted to correct the steering wheel failure by performing an alignment, but the failure recurred. The door lock failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 50. Updated 10/24/2014 updated 4/20/2015

- Yuba City , CA, USA

Feb 102014

Prius 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway at approximately 55 mph. The steering began to veer back and forth. I thought it might be due to an uneven road. I switched lanes and experienced the same problem. It became very apparent that it was not due to an uneven road. As I began to apply the brakes due to a traffic jam, the brakes were weak and had to eventually slam on the brakes to stop on time. I have to begin applying the brakes at about 50 yds from a stop sign traveling at 45 mph in order to stop on time.

- Desert Hot Springs, CA, USA