4.3

2014 Toyota Prius brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Prius:

2014 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Aug 042015

Prius

Within the last six months, and about four times, I had experienced rough/high idling during hot days and after driving over 80 miles; using air conditioning. (I work over 70 miles from home.) I decided to take the car to the Toyota of redlands dealership on August 4, 2015, because the car was displaying the same conditions. While on the way to the dealership, and on the freeway, the car began to idle heavily. I merged to exit the freeway and while on the off ramp, stopped, the car completely shut off. The display read "check hybrid engine. Stop park the car safely." I was able to restart the vehicle to move from off-ramp traffic and park it. The message on display was still there. I shut off the car and called the dealership. They recommended I have the car towed to them. When tow truck arrived, I turned on the car to position it for the towing bed. The message no longer displayed. The car stayed with dealership all day on August 5, 2015. According to the dealership, the display showed no message and there is no code to indicate a malfunction occurred. They were not able to diagnose the problem. I am keeping the vehicle at the dealership on August 6, 2015, for further evaluation. My concern is two-fold: 1. my safety, 2. if the system displayed a message, why does the system not produce a code for the technicians as a non-hybrid car would? this itself presents a serious issue.

- Highland, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Prius

Toyota's entune navigation system randomly freezes and resets. When this happens at high speeds on a highway where a person is depending on the system to get somewhere, it causes a massive distraction and a risk to life and limb. Toyota is offering no resolution to this issue and it's dealerships are refusing to even register user complaints - "unless they can replicate the issue" which is rather difficult since the problem is random and the dealerships will not take user reports of the issue as credible.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA