2014 Toyota Prius seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Prius:

2014 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Aug 072015

Prius

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Prius. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle accelerated when the brake pedal was depressed. As a result, the contact crashed the vehicle into a building and the air bags failed to deploy. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact sustained chest injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,700. Updated 01/20/16

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jul 152015

Prius

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Prius. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact attempted to depress the brake pedal, but the vehicle did not stop. As a result, a crash occurred and the air bags did not deploy. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact was not injured and a police report was filed. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 3,200.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

May 292015

Prius 4-cyl

While driving on street I noticed in the middle of my steering wheel (where you press the horn) there were raised marks. Very prominent center of steering wheel left side. Slightly raised on the right. I could see the raised shape as a quarter of a bundt cake. I got really scared and drove to tustin Toyota. I ask the service adviser where my steering wheel air bag was, he pointed to the raised section on my steering wheel. I showed him the raised marks and that it appears that something perhaps the air bag was pushing outward. I told him that not only can you see the raised marks you can see them. He went and checked another Prius V on the showroom floor, that steering wheel was completely flat. Went on to say "good call" this is a safety issue with the airbag. The R/O reads: Ck steering wheel left side air bag is raised. Replaced the pad assy. I am concerned that there may be a problem with the airbag itself because it was starting to push outward. How safe is it to drive my Prius V. should I be concerned with the airbag what if the airbag decides to inflate while I am driving what if the airbag does not inflate if I have an accident please feel free to contact me.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Nov 262014

Prius 4-cyl

I purchased the vehicle brand new from a dealership. Within a few weeks, I noticed that when my husband sat in the front passenger seat (300lbs) the notification light said "passenger air bag on". when my stepson sat in the front passenger seat the light said "passenger air bag off". I took a picture to show the notification light and the size of my 15 yr old stepson 5' 10" & 175lb-fully adult size. I called the dealership and they told me they had "never heard of the problem" and said it was just that the passenger airbag needed to be recalibrated. After doing some searching, I realized that the 2012-2013 models have already been recalled for that exact same reason. I am very concerned that the problem has not been fixed with Toyota, and that new cars are being sold with the same problem. Needless to say, I am not happy with Toyota right now and this is a huge safety problem. I also have concerns about the back seat belts not latching properly when a car seat is being used, but that's another story....

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Sep 072014

Prius

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Prius. While in the process of parking the vehicle, the brakes disengaged and the vehicle accelerated forward unexpectedly. The contact crashed the vehicle into the preceding vehicle. While attempting to reverse the vehicle, the brakes disengaged and the vehicle accelerated backwards. The contact crashed the vehicle into the vehicle behind it and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50.

- Oak Park , IL, USA