2016 Toyota Prius brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota Prius:

2016 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Jan 062017

Prius

Toyota of surprise is saying that they can't fix our Prius recall for the emergency brake until January 2018.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Nov 182016

Prius

16V741000 was not performed on the car even though it was purchased 11/17, and the recall began 11/10. Dealer lee's Toyota located at 139-65 queens blvd, jamaica NY 11435

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 042016

Prius

On Friday, October 21, 2016 while driving over a pothole I pressed on the brake. The car slowed but all of a sudden the brake suddenly depressed even further down and the car jerked and seemed to stall before pushing forward. I had been pressing the brake as far down as it would go and it seemed as if there would be some kind of brake failure. On October 31, 2016 while driving over another pothole, I again stepped on the brake and suddenly the pedal again depressed further down and there was a creaking and squealing sound. Then on November 4, 2016 while going over a pothole, there was a squealing and creaking sound but not a sudden additional depression of the brake pedal. All these incidents happened on salt lake blvd. Or kamehameha highway and passes under the fixed guideway for Hawaii's rail system. The road is extremely bumpy and full of potholes.

- Aiea, HI, USA

Jun 012016

Prius

As I took a highway exit, following behind other cars doing the same, my Prius refused to brake efficiently when another car abruptly invaded our line. It felt as if the brakes made a slight release or couldn't reach a full stop. I had enough space to stop, and I pressed the brakes on time but there was almost no brake reaction and I crashed into the truck in front of me. I was probably going 20-30 mph, somewhere in the middle... so not even that fast. Best part is that the airbags didn't inflate, even though the car was almost totaled. This feels explainable to me... I had it for only two months thus far. I do not recommend this car to others.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Jun 252016

Prius

When gently applying brakes for a stop light, and the right wheel hits a 1 and 1/8 inch deep depression in the road, the brakes feel like they momentarily release. The depression is for a 9 inch diameter city water cover, and the overall diameter of the depression is 12 inches, and it is 1 and 1/8 inches deep. This can be replicated at this location and we have also noticed the same thing happening elsewhere in town.

- Willmar, MN, USA