9.8

2016 Toyota Prius electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota Prius:

2016 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Feb 182016

Prius

I purchased a new 2016 Prius four on February 16, 2016. The literature on the Toyota factory website says my Prius is equipped to switch from english to metric units. Unfortunately, Toyota failed to disclose that any Prius manufactured in January and February and delivered to the United States did not have this feature working correctly. Without the ability to switch to metric units, by government mandate, my Prius does not meet Canadian motor vehicle safety regulations. Apparently some 2016 Prius vehicles sold in Canada also cannot switch to english units when driving in the United States presenting a potential safety hazard. Toyota has apparently failed to reveal a material fact that the Prius sold to me does not meet the Canadian motor vehicle safety regulations. There was no disclosure on the vehicle monroney sticker that this Prius has a disabled or deleted english to metric unit speedometer display. After 10 months from my date of purchase, the only remedy Toyota offers is for me to purchase a new Prius to replace my new Prius at my expense. When I purchased my new 2016 Toyota Prius, I did not know I was purchasing a vehicle with vaporware software. There was not a clear and conspicuous disclosure that Toyota deleted the option to select between english and metric units which affects multiple vehicle systems such as navigation, heater/ac, speedometer, and odometer. For my first six months of ownership, the navigation system would constantly reboot until Toyota fixed their software. This system rebooting was a significant driver distraction. Toyota advertises, "let's go places." For truth in advertising, Toyota should really say, "let's go places, except to Canada, Mexico and the rest of the planet because some Toyota speedometers can't display metric units."

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 022016

Prius

The contact owns a 2016 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the speedometer gauge did not allow the ability to switch from miles per hour to kilometers. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was unable to be diagnosed or repaired due to N manufacturer default. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Sep 152016

Prius

I recently purchased my 3rd Toyota in August (2016 Prius). I upgraded my 2011 Prius because I really needed built in navigation due the nature of my job and my commute. I am currently experiencing issues with the radio/navigation system, which is very frustrating because this is a "brand new" car. The navigation system and radio turn off and on continuously during the most dangerous and inconvenient times (I.e. when I am navigating though unfamiliar wooded areas in the dark when it's raining). This also causes one of my instrument panels to go blank. I have had to stop using the navigation system altogether at times, which again is the reason that I upgraded my car in the first place. This began happening intermittently in September, and the problem has gotten progressively worse over time. I took off of work to have the issue diagnosed and repaired by the dealership in November and to have the parking cable recall issue taken care of. I was informed by the dealer that they did not have the parts in to address the recall issue and the technician immediately noticed the issue with the radio/navigation system but was unable to correct the issue because the update that "might" fix it is not available yet. This is very dangerous and this issue needs to be addressed before someone gets hurt.

- Roselle, NJ, USA

Oct 182016

Prius

The coating on the wiring system attracted rodents to my car, the rodents ate through the electrical and tried to nest in the engine bay. The results were massive systems malfunctions and the car wasn't safe to drive. I had to get it towed to Toyota and they stated that this is a common problem. "they've seen alot of this recently"

- Brea, CA, USA

Jun 302016

Prius

Rodent damaged wiring and casings by eating/damaging both at a cost so far of $2700. I have owned this vehicle for one month. I've been told the warranty does not include the damage. I asked about where the dealership stored the vehicle prior to its delivery to me. I wasn't satisfied with their explanation.

- Mt. Horeb, WI, USA