7.3

2016 Toyota Prius engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota Prius:

2016 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Feb 182016

Prius

I purchased a new 2016 Prius four on February 16, 2016. The literature on the Toyota factory website says my Prius is equipped to switch from english to metric units. Unfortunately, Toyota failed to disclose that any Prius manufactured in January and February and delivered to the United States did not have this feature working correctly. Without the ability to switch to metric units, by government mandate, my Prius does not meet Canadian motor vehicle safety regulations. Apparently some 2016 Prius vehicles sold in Canada also cannot switch to english units when driving in the United States presenting a potential safety hazard. Toyota has apparently failed to reveal a material fact that the Prius sold to me does not meet the Canadian motor vehicle safety regulations. There was no disclosure on the vehicle monroney sticker that this Prius has a disabled or deleted english to metric unit speedometer display. After 10 months from my date of purchase, the only remedy Toyota offers is for me to purchase a new Prius to replace my new Prius at my expense. When I purchased my new 2016 Toyota Prius, I did not know I was purchasing a vehicle with vaporware software. There was not a clear and conspicuous disclosure that Toyota deleted the option to select between english and metric units which affects multiple vehicle systems such as navigation, heater/ac, speedometer, and odometer. For my first six months of ownership, the navigation system would constantly reboot until Toyota fixed their software. This system rebooting was a significant driver distraction. Toyota advertises, "let's go places." For truth in advertising, Toyota should really say, "let's go places, except to Canada, Mexico and the rest of the planet because some Toyota speedometers can't display metric units."

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 022016

Prius

The contact owns a 2016 Toyota Prius. The contact stated that the speedometer gauge did not allow the ability to switch from miles per hour to kilometers. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was unable to be diagnosed or repaired due to N manufacturer default. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Oct 312016

Prius

As I left work my indicator showed a full battery all bars in blue. As I was driving down the coast I noticed the battery started to quickly deplete, in approx 8.6 miles my indicator showed 1 blue bar. At that time I was making a left onto the canyon road. I thought this was odd. As I turned left noticed a decrease in acceleration power. Didn't think much of it but about until about 2 miles in I noticed the Prius started losing acceleration power the motor was running and the indicator did not show that it was in ev mode even coasting through the canyon and braking. I had to accelerate to come up a slope through a tunnel I had almost no acceleration power. The car felt like it was hesitating I think by the down hill coast and a few spurts of power surges I was able to make it through the tunnel by the 5th mile I had no power to accelerate luckily there was a road where I could make a right. As I coasted to the intersection I turned right then attempted to pull a uturn on a patch of dirt as I was 3/4 of the through the turn there was zero power the vehicle was on but no power engine cut out. No check engine light whatsoever I got suck in the middle of the 2 lane highway blocking both directions! I put on my hazards and attempted to put the car in neutral it indicated it was in neutral, then I shifted to drive but again no power the car was just making a noise and like a very faint grinding noise. At this point cars were on both lanes trying to head each direction I had to get out and push the car backwards to get 1 tire off the side grade then I was still sideways in the middle of the road. I cycle the car 3 times by putting it in park with parking brake with no luck, or power. It wasn't until 4th try it got some power the engine kicked on and I was able to pull back in the right lane and I was stuck at the corner with my hazards on.

- Azusa, CA, USA

Apr 292016

Prius

The 2016 Prius 4 doesn't come with the ability to change miles to kilometers unless you are aware that it is an option you have to buy which neither salesmen or Toyota technical assistance is aware of. I have not been able to find anyone who can tell me whether this option can be added but so far it appears that it is.

- Okanogan, WA, USA