9.1

2016 Toyota Prius miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota Prius:

2016 Toyota Prius Owner Comments

Feb 182016

Prius

I purchased a new 2016 Prius four on February 16, 2016. The literature on the Toyota factory website says my Prius is equipped to switch from english to metric units. Unfortunately, Toyota failed to disclose that any Prius manufactured in January and February and delivered to the United States did not have this feature working correctly. Without the ability to switch to metric units, by government mandate, my Prius does not meet Canadian motor vehicle safety regulations. Apparently some 2016 Prius vehicles sold in Canada also cannot switch to english units when driving in the United States presenting a potential safety hazard. Toyota has apparently failed to reveal a material fact that the Prius sold to me does not meet the Canadian motor vehicle safety regulations. There was no disclosure on the vehicle monroney sticker that this Prius has a disabled or deleted english to metric unit speedometer display. After 10 months from my date of purchase, the only remedy Toyota offers is for me to purchase a new Prius to replace my new Prius at my expense. When I purchased my new 2016 Toyota Prius, I did not know I was purchasing a vehicle with vaporware software. There was not a clear and conspicuous disclosure that Toyota deleted the option to select between english and metric units which affects multiple vehicle systems such as navigation, heater/ac, speedometer, and odometer. For my first six months of ownership, the navigation system would constantly reboot until Toyota fixed their software. This system rebooting was a significant driver distraction. Toyota advertises, "let's go places." For truth in advertising, Toyota should really say, "let's go places, except to Canada, Mexico and the rest of the planet because some Toyota speedometers can't display metric units."

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 152016

Prius

I recently purchased my 3rd Toyota in August (2016 Prius). I upgraded my 2011 Prius because I really needed built in navigation due the nature of my job and my commute. I am currently experiencing issues with the radio/navigation system, which is very frustrating because this is a "brand new" car. The navigation system and radio turn off and on continuously during the most dangerous and inconvenient times (I.e. when I am navigating though unfamiliar wooded areas in the dark when it's raining). This also causes one of my instrument panels to go blank. I have had to stop using the navigation system altogether at times, which again is the reason that I upgraded my car in the first place. This began happening intermittently in September, and the problem has gotten progressively worse over time. I took off of work to have the issue diagnosed and repaired by the dealership in November and to have the parking cable recall issue taken care of. I was informed by the dealer that they did not have the parts in to address the recall issue and the technician immediately noticed the issue with the radio/navigation system but was unable to correct the issue because the update that "might" fix it is not available yet. This is very dangerous and this issue needs to be addressed before someone gets hurt.

- Roselle, NJ, USA

Sep 012016

Prius

My windshield randomly cracked and looking on-line this seems to be a common occurrence on the Prius 4th generation vehicles.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Aug 172016

Prius

We had an unexplained blowout in a tire with less than 5000 miles on it on our Prius iv 2016 purchased in May. We saw nothing in the roadway that would have caused this. The tire was ripped. There is a recall on this brand, Bridgestone/Firestone so was this tire at risk" the tire number is P195/65R89S. The warranty is worthless as they could claim road damage and we can't prove otherwise. But we saw nothing that we hit, and other cars passing us did not have blowouts. So did the tire fail" we think so. We were on an interstate highway when this happened. Very scary and no spare tire, a separate complaint. We could have been killed by a passing truck while waiting for a tow truck for nearly 2 hours.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Aug 172016

Prius

We had a tire blowout on an interstate highway and discovered there was no spare tire in our new car. The device to repair the tire didn't work as the tire was ripped. We had to wait 2 hours for a tow truck, with huge trucks passing us at 80 mph, very close. We were terrified. We still don't know what really happened as we didn't see anything that would have ripped the tire. The car is new, still under warranty. Every car should have a spare tire for emergencies like this. We did not know it didn't have one.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jun 302016

Prius

Rodent damaged wiring and casings by eating/damaging both at a cost so far of $2700. I have owned this vehicle for one month. I've been told the warranty does not include the damage. I asked about where the dealership stored the vehicle prior to its delivery to me. I wasn't satisfied with their explanation.

- Mt. Horeb, WI, USA

Jul 062016

Prius

The 2016 Prius iv we just purchased 2 weeks ago comes with a white dash! the white dash creates a horrible glare when trying to look out either driver or passenger window! the only way to avoid glare is drive with windows down all of the time. Visibility is greatly hampered by the white dash reflection off the windows! this is huge safety issue!

- Urbana, IL, USA

Jan 312016

Prius

The center display has a mirror high gloss/glare finish. Because of this mirror finish, when the sun is at an angle coming through either the side or back windows, the sun is reflected back into the driver's eyes. There should be a recall on the car to replace center display to prevent accidents.

- Leawood, KS, USA