9.1

2012 Toyota Prius c electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Prius c:

2012 Toyota Prius c Owner Comments

Jan 052016

Prius c

The Prius C is made in Japan. They are coating the wiring and seat foam with soybean oil and peanut oil. Mice are now eating the wiring and seat foam and any electrical or rubber parts in the Prius C

- West Chester, PA, USA

May 012013

Prius c

When in the high 80S+ outside, my 2012 Prius C, bought new, has not started from in a stopped position, with all the warning lights on the dashboard activating &, many times, the hybrid system shutting down while I'm trying to exit a driveway or garage, city street or parking the vehicle, creating a sudden stall & leaving me in the path of oncoming traffic. Took to dealership many times & they insist my car can't be doing what it's doing because they see no codes & ignore my screenshots, pics & video. When I ask them why my car has same "symptoms" as others of the same make, model & year, their reply is that my specific car has not been recalled. They will not even look to see if there are problems with the sensor, inverter or software. My car has only 8700 miles on it. I am afraid to drive it cause I have no clue what it's going to do & the dealership is unconcerned. It seems neither the NHTSA nor Toyota gives a damn about safety. I think the issue is the software in the electronic controls of the car, with current settings that could create heat in some of the transistors. 2012 Toyota prius electrical system: Software, hybrid propulsion system: Inverter NHTSA campaign #14V053000. Summary: In the affected vehicles, the intelligent power module (ipm) inside the inverter module (a component of the hybrid system) contains transistors that may become damaged from high operating temperatures. If this occurs, various warning lamps will be illuminated on the instrument panel...consequence:the vehicle may enter a fail-safe/limp-home mode that limits the drivability of the vehicle. The hybrid system could also shut down completely resulting in a vehicle stall, increasing the risk of a crash. Just cause my specific car was not included in the recall doesn't mean it shouldn't have been when it is doing the exact same thing that the other recalled cars are doing.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jul 062013

Prius c

My 2012 Toyota Prius C four model (purchased new in August, 2012) with approximately 5,200 original miles experienced a loss of power and total failure (engine stalled right after the hybrid motor warning light appeared) of the 2012 Toyota Prius C hybrid inverter engine due to an electrical panel defect while exiting I 495 in alexandria, Virginia on the late evening of July 6, 2013. Toyota corporate (1-800-331-4331) opened case file # 1307101143 and our local Toyota dealership in alexandria, va. Was very helpful and proactive in replacing the entire hybrid inverter motor component on the 2012 Prius C under factory warranty and at no charge to me as the original owner of the vehicle. Toyota corporate also advised me that they are unaware of any recalls or other reported problems with the 2012 Toyota Prius C hybrid inverter motor so our situation was, hopefully, an anomaly.

- Alexandria , VA, USA