2013 Toyota Prius c electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Prius c:

2013 Toyota Prius c Owner Comments

Mar 232016

Prius c

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Prius C. while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After restarting, the vehicle operated normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,300.

- Encino, CA, USA

Jul 142015

Prius c

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Prius C. while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled, the steering wheel seized, and the brakes hesitated to stop the vehicle. The contact also stated that the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic diagnosed that the computer needed to be reset. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the failure in NHTSA campaign number: 14V053000 (electrical system, hybrid propulsion system); however, the year, make, and model was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,000. Updated 1/15/16

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Feb 262015

Prius c

I have had my Toyota Prius C for 1.5 years. I was assured it was a safe car. However this car is dangerous. The car has an auto traction control that will turn on during flurries or if there are wet leaves or rain. When the traction control (a safety feature) turns on my wheels stop, my brakes stop, I cannot control my steering and I am basically at the mercy of the car. I have been in several near accidents on major highways 55-65 mph, and on back roads 25mph+ and on turns where I am going 2-4 mph at a glide, or on hills, because the car will turn on the auto traction and I lose complete control. There are hundreds of complaints based on this feature of the car (which other cars have a feature to turn off the traction) yet Toyota has done nothing. People have found a way to shut off the traction themselves in newer models through a set of steps that could blow the engine, yet they say the risk is the safer option. A google search will show thousands of people who feel like their life is in danger because of how bad this feature is in bad weather. This car cannot handle any type of bad weather. I tried to go to a Toyota mechanic (jones junction in bel air Maryland) and was told I was out of luck and I would just have to crash my car in a potentially fatal accident because they didn't want to be liable. I feel like my life and those around me are in danger because the car so easily goes out of control. I can't even get in my own driveway or move if there is 1 inch of snow because everything shuts off and I get stuck in the street. I'm scared in this car but I cannot return it because I would lose so much money. This "safety feature" puts lives in danger and there is no option to turn it off unlike other better car models. Toyota needs to recall their prius and Prius C and prius V cars so owners can have the option of turning on or off the traction.

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Jul 112013

Prius c 4-cyl

When I pulled up outside of my house and went to open the back hatch, I accidentally hit the lock button. The car then locked - but with my smart key fob and my 10-month-old daughter inside of the car. It is supposed to be impossible to lock the car with the key fob inside. I had no way of getting into the car to get my daughter out - I had to call the police and have them break into the car for me. As the car started and drove twice - from work to my sitter's, from my sitter's to my house - the key was detectable from its location in my car. There is no way it should have locked with the key fob still inside. And I can't emphasize how much of a safety hazard this is - my 10-month-old daughter was in the car. What if it had been a really hot day" what if I had been somewhere where it took the police time to get to me? what if my phone had been locked in the car" while it all turned out fine, it could have been disastrous. And that is unacceptable. The smart key system on my car should never allow the key to be locked inside.

- Milford, OH, USA