2.7

2012 Toyota Prius v steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Prius v:

2012 Toyota Prius v Owner Comments

May 132016

Prius v

I was driving, trying to park my car, when the steering (power failed) it took all might strengthen to turn the wheel. The car was serviced by Toyota regularly - there were no previous signs or indicators that any problem existed. Steering system failed; had the car towed to a Toyota dealership. At 50,000 the Toyota dealership said the steering column failed, not getting any electricity to the steering column. Needed a new steering column.

- Providence, RI, USA

Feb 242016

Prius v

Noise ("clunking") when turning left & right as if there is "play" or something is loose somewhere in the steering system. Worried about safety and understand there were previous recalls of the shaft on previous year models. Do not want to replace the entire steering shaft as dealer suggests if not necessary.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 162016

Prius v

Vehicle in motion when steering column adjustment released and would not relock causing the steering column to move forward and back, up and down. The car was difficult to drive because the steering column would not stay fixed in one position. Took the car to the dealer where they removed the steering column and reinstalled a bolt that had come out of the steering column and reinstalled the bolt with thread lock. Cost of repair was $532. I believe this is a safety issue and other models should be checked for the loose bolt.

- Pulaski, VA, USA

Oct 012014

Prius v

I felt a loose noise behind the wheel of the car. Took the car to service where I had bought it and they certified that the steering shaft needs a replacement @ 47,000 miles. Prius models from previous years have a recall for this issue. The issue is not solved, yet they continue to have the defect and no other recall has been issued for the same problem. The repair estimate is around $500 I have had about ten cars in my life and in none have I ever had the worry or not even the sound of a loose steering shaft. We are talking about the steering wheel... and I have a family of 5.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Oct 012014

Prius v 4-cyl

The steering column was a bit loose when I bought the car used from a rental office at I 95 Toyota brunswick Georgia it has gotten worse at 130000miles about 90% highway they tell me it will cost $1100 dollars to replace the whole column.

- Galveston, TX, USA