1998 Toyota RAV4 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota RAV4:

1998 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Feb 232016

Re: safety recall for rear outboard seatbelts. I first became aware of the the recall in Feb. 2016. In early March, we scheduled normal maintenance for our Rav4. When we inquired about the seatbelt recall, the dealership had no knowledge of the issue. I have now been driving my 6 and 8 year old children around in a vehicle with recalled seatbelts for 2 months. Today, April 7, is the first notification I have received from Toyota and the notification states that Toyota still has no "remedy". Toyota is putting my children in danger everyday and I have lost all trust in Toyota.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 202012

The contact owns a 1998 Toyota Rav4. The contact was driving 60 mph and attempted to avoid a tractor trailer. While switching lanes, the rear of the contact's vehicle crashed into another vehicle, causing the contact to spin out of control, crash into the tractor trailer and then into the guard rail. The vehicle was destroyed. The air bags did not deploy. Each of the three passengers were wearing seat belts however none of them locked on impact, causing injury to each of the three passengers. The vehicle was neither repaired nor inspected for the cause of the air bag failure. The failure and the current mileages were 105,000.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

May 282000

The seat belt anchor on the drivers side just fell off as I was parking my car. The bolt that holds the anchor had come loose and fell in my lap. If I would have been on the road, this could have caused an accident or cause injury to me do to the seat belt safety system failing to restrain me.

- Tempe, AZ, USA