CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.

In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).

Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.

8.5

$2,520.00

2. replace transmission (26 reports)
  3. replaced ecm (20 reports)
  4. new tramsmission (8 reports)
  5. replace transmission & ecm at the same time (5 reports)
  6. added a bottle of Lucas transmission treatment (2 reports)
2001 Toyota RAV4 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota RAV4:

2001 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Mar 092011

RAV4

transmission just started slipping last week, seems mostly to be from 1st to second gear. It will hesitate then clunk into gear. I don't want to put much money into this, do I fix or junk it? No way I will go to the dealer, they are big time crooks............

- , Ridgefield, CY, USA

Apr 012010

RAV4 L 2.0L L4

I had the same problem with my RAV4 (2001) and the mechanic told me exactly the same, that I had to replace both the transmission AND the ecm, but I found out that the transmission was ok by repairing the ecm. The problem was that the technician couldn't properly diagnose the transmission while the ecm was defective. As for the ecm, yes, it is extremely expensive, but we sent it to a repair shop (http://www.rav4repair.com) that a mechanic I know recommended me. For aprox. $240 they fixed it and my RAV4 was on the road again, running like new in no time, It was last year and until today, we have had no more transmission problems at all.

As a curious thing, my RAV4 was less than 150,000 miles at that time and the dealer told me that it applies only to "certain" letter or number in the VIN number. Not sure which one, but they denied the service in warranty. I guess that Toyota is tightening the ropes on this, as maybe there are more vehicles involved than they thought.

I hope this helps fixing problems of others with the same issues.

- , San Juan, PR, USA

Nov 142010

RAV4

Car started having problems shifting . . . would either hesitate / not accelerate or slam into the next gear and scare me to death . . . am just not sure what to do about it. The Toyota dealer charges an arm and a leg just to diagnose a problem . . . and it sounds like the fix for this will be more than I should probably put into a vehicle with 160,000 miles! From the similar situations mentioned on this site, it sounds like this should be a flat-out recall because it's DANGEROUS to drive. Barely got my 3 year old granddaughter home safely the last time I drove it.

Update from Dec 11, 2010: Dealer gave me a "discount" and replaced the ECM for $922. Seems to be working OK, transmission doesn't appear to be damaged. Still doesn't seem right that these weren't recalled and that so many people are paying so much. Hopefully I'll get enough miles out of the RAV to make it worth my while.

- , Hastings, MI, USA

Aug 262010

RAV4

Car was operating normally until yesterday morning when I noticed it was shifting properly. Shop ran diagnostics and told me that the transmission fluid needed to be flushed and a few other things to the tune of $800. When the called me to tell me that the work was completed, they asked if they could keep the car overnight because the mechanic still didn't like the way it was shifting. They later called to tell me that the transmission had to be replaced because the "planetary gear was coming apart" and that this was a known problem with the Rav4. They gave me an estimate of $6,000 to replace. I am going to get a 2nd opinion.

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Mar 022009

RAV4

I always had thought toyota's where the only cars that i would buy. but now i have a change of heart.i got a recall notice but its over the miles now not fair at all im sure toyota new about this problem years ago. its bad when they want help u and thats all your family will buy. my parents have three toyota's and i have one brother and he has two toyota's and i have three. toyota im going else where when looking for a new car.

- , Hamlet, NC, USA

Jul 012010

RAV4 2.0L

Today is aug/3/2010 for about 3 weeks i do not use my rav4 because is terrible and perhaps will have an accidente ans affect more persons, i saw a mechanic and told me the problem was the trasmision but after a week i receive a letter where toyota explain de problem but, i went to the dealer and explain the problem, they check and told me the solution is the the computer. my rav4 has 157000, they said i have to pay 1200 for fix the problem because is cover ten 10 or 150000 miles the occurs first and also have to pay 72 dollars for the inspeccion. please help me how get help, because i think toyota must pay for all. pedro aviles

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jul 132010

RAV4 L 2.0L

Like many others, my ecm chip malfunctioned in Oct. 2009 but I refused to pay the $1200 to replace it. After driving with occasional clunks in the transmission, it finally went out completely when I was out of state in July 2010. Now estimates range from $3000-$5000 to rebuild or replace the transmission. Unfortunately, my car is not worth that much due to high mileage. I wish toyota would have alerted owners and fixed the problem. Now I can identify with all the toyota issues in the past year.

- , Duluth, MN, USA

Jul 082010

RAV4 2.2L

I brought the vehicle to the toyota dealership who first charged me over $60 to look at and said there wasn't a problem because it wasn't showing any problems then. After I drove it out of there, it started jerking and shifting badly to the point that I almost got into an accident when it downshifted and I had to pull over the major highway. Toyota then said I had to have the ECM changed but first they had to open up the tranny case to see if there were any damage. Upon seeing no filings they said the fluid that was replaced was wrong so they changed that only to phone me afterwards to say that I needed a new transmission! I am never going to buy a toyota again.

- , Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Apr 052010

RAV4 LX 4 cyl

Just don't understand why companies seem to hate to admit they and/or their suppler's made a mistake and once it shows up refuses to admit and/or fix it at their expense, yea right, it's the money and status.

- , Rosenberg, TX, USA

May 052010

RAV4 3.2L V4

well.. too scary to drive. it gives thud moving from 1st gear scare to accelerate.

- , New Hyde Park, NY, USA

Jan 132010

RAV4

My 2001 RA4 started giving me problems in Jan. 2010. The transmission started slipping jerking, shifting hard into 2nd and I lose the power to accelerate.I have to put my flashers on to keep from being hit from behind. There have been no codes found & no check engine light by anyone who has checked it. I had the transmission rebuilt. I drove it for two days and the same problem occurred. I paid $1,700 to have it repaired. I took it back to the transmission shop, they said there is nothing wrong with the trans, it must be electrical. This is really sickening. Toyota needs to do something. I didn't know that there were so many complaints about the RAV4.

Update from Jun 17, 2010: I have my car back and it's running O.K. I finally had the ECU/ECM replaced after the check engine light came on again; that seemed to have fixed the problem. I'm sorry that I had to spend a total of $2,800 to get my car working properly. The ECU cost $1,089.00. (I think the best way to describe the problem was that the car felt like you were stepping on the brakes when you really weren't.) If you have this problem with your Toyota please have the ECU checked first. It could save you time and money.

- , Bedford, OH, USA

Oct 172009

RAV4 2.0L

I purchased this vehicle with less than 12,000 miles on the odometer after owning a Honda CRV in 2002. My wife complained that she wanted her CRV back from the time I purchased this vehicle but I really thought it might be a better vehicle than the CRV. This proved to be so until the car reached 60,000 miles and the MAF sensor failed and I noticed then the transmission did not change exactly like I thought it should but I thought it might be just the age of the vehicle. We only put about 8 to 9000 miles a year on the vehicle. So I ignored it. I gave the vehicle to my daughter who has gone back to school to drive. She lives 6 hours from me. She has driven the car about 10,000 miles and began complaining about the transmission not changing properly and since Oct 2009. Last week she called and stated the vehicle's transmission was slipping badly and not changing properly. She took to independent Toyota shop and they diagnosed it as the ECM failure. The cost is $1200 and since I have over 80,000 miles on the car I am on my own. This was a recognized malfunction by Toyota but the car was never recalled. This really upset me and that is why I am writing this blog. I have found a number of places on the internet that will repair the ECM at a reasonably price but I feel Toyota should recall the car and replace the ECM and possibly the transmission. I am not sure at this point but the transmission may have to be replaced!!! This is a safety matter. My daughter told me that she was almost hit in traffic when she attempted to pull into traffic and as a result of the transmission not working properly was unable to move into traffic and was almost involved in an accident!!!!!!!!!

Update from Apr 25, 2010: I am happy to post the solution to my problem was corrected for aroung $100. I researched the problem on the net and learned that a service to repair the computer was available for around $60 and i had the computer removed and sent it to the company and they repaired it, It was re-installed and after driving the vehicle for about 25 miles the computer corrected the problem. Now after approx. 4 weeks of driving it seems to be okay.

- , Whiteville, NC, USA

Mar 312010

RAV4 L4WD 2.0L 4 cyl

I've had the ECM reprogrammed per Toyota's recalls, and about 15,000 miles ago the Check Engine light came on. It's come on many times before, all supposedly fixed by the reprogramming, and a diagnostic "revealed" that I needed a new catalytic converter. Since this car has spit out bad codes before (causing the car to stall on the highway and need a reset) I chose to continue driving the car as it was driving fine and the gas mileage hadn't really been affect. Then today, out of the blue, it starts acting like it's choking whenever I give it gas trying to get it up out of first gear. Once it gets out of 2nd it's generally okay, but shifting up or down is totally unpredictable and unsafe any time any gas pedal is applied because it affects the transmission. This happened, literally, from one car start to the next. Got out of the car, got back in, turned it on, and this hard shifting immediately happened. I'm extremely disappointed as there is clearly a problem with the electronics module in this particular model year and Toyota needs to own up to it by fixing these cars for free. I haven't taken it to be looked at yet as I'm dreading what I'm going to hear since this current economy has me using my car for delivery and I can't afford even a thousand-dollar fix, especially if there's no guarantee the same thing won't happen again.

- , Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Mar 272010

RAV4 L 2.0L

I had this car for 4year and I never had any trouble I though it going to last along time but on march 27 it star with a knock when I brake since then just couple days after I hardly move on the street and can you believe that Toyota transmission will not get to 100000 miles I use to know only American car do that I will not trust Toyota no more it suck like the other

- , Attleboro, MA, USA

Oct 202009

RAV4 Limited

I LOVED my Rav4... UNTIL NOW!! My car all of a sudden starting puttin & jerkin one day just out of nowhere. It lasted for 2 days then stopped for a month. When it happened again I took it into a service shop well basically they didn't know what was wrong & since I was a woman who knows NOTHING about cars had me fix everything but what was causing the problem & $1,600 later they tell me that its transmission problems & that there is a recall with the ECM & If I take it to my Toyota dealer that it will be fixed FOR FREE!!!! so I spent my tuition money on a problem that Toyota should have told me about in the 1st place! Toyota doesn't need anymore bad publicity & they just keep digging their own grave! Im so angry at the car shop & Toyota I cant see straight.... This will be my last Toyota they have truly dropped the ball on customer service skills.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 192009

RAV4 4 Cyl

I have the same problem with my rav 4. started shifting hard , and acting like it was stuck in 2nd gear. took it to dealer said it was the ecm, replaced that left the dealership and it was twice as bad.. I have two young boys and cant drive them around in an unsafe vehicle.. toyota needs to look at all of this and fix this problem also.

- , Given, WV, USA

Apr 182008

RAV4 L

I was driving my 2001 Rav4 home from work one day and it felt like it was stuttering, by the time I got to my driveway it was really crawling. I turned the car off, waited a moment and then turned it back on and it started so I parked it. I knew something was really wrong and didn't attempt to drive it except to take it to be fixed. I never made it to the mechanic, the car died half way there and had to be towed. It was the transmission, it had to be replaced. I didn't purchase the warranty when buying the car used because it's a Toyota, they are supposed to last forever. What a lie. If that was once the truth it isn't any longer. It cost my about $3500 US to get a new transmission.

- , Playa Del Rey, CA, USA

Apr 012009

RAV4

So I did get the transmission fixed and before I had driven it all the way home (about 50 miles) it started with the lurching jerking and whatever else you want to call it and it's been sitting in my driveway ever since. I now know that the ecm and transmission should have been replaced at the same time, but don't have the money to fix it. Especially since I have a new transmission with less then 60 miles on it. I know other people are brave and drive with this problem, but I live in the mountains and am too afraid a tourist will run into me when it stalls or I won't be able to make it up the various hills around town or it will just die and I'll be stranded. I loved the car but am now hoping a big tree will fall on it and put it out of my misery!

- , Truckee, CA, USA

Jan 242010

RAV4

rav4 had no power pulling out, found out it was trying to pull out in 2nd gear, code PO755 came up so they replaced the solenoids at a cost of $700. 2 days later car was slipping in 2nd gear and still sometimes trouble pulling out, took it back to mechanic who said we need a rebuilt transmission. took it somewhere else for a second opinion they had my car now 2 days they say the engine transmission control is causing the problem $1000 to fix, this is the computer I am not sure if it is the same as the ECM mechanic told us that once this is fixed, the transmission may still be damaged and I will need to spend up to $2K - $3K more if thats the case

- , Pgh, PA, USA

Apr 182009

RAV4 Util 04

My rav4 Toyota started giving problems once in the while on shifting than I took the car to Ira Toyota in Milford MA. They charged me $350,00 and did not fixed the problem and did not gave my money back. Few weeks after the car were really bad I couldn't even drive I took to another mechanic and end up spending more money and no solutions. Finally my friend recommended his friend"s shop "Franklin Transmission". They found out that my car need to replaced EMC costing me $1,121.18. The worst came when he said that the transmission has been ruined and will have to be rebuilt too. I end up spending $4,000.00 to get my car running again. Plus all the money on rentals I spend for almost a month until I decide what to do and have the money to fix the car. If Toyota had sent a letter telling us about the problem I would have to replace only the EMC but they knew the problem and didn't do anything. It is a shame what they did. We need to stand up and ask for our rights.

- , Milford, MA, USA