- June 20: Toyota Sienna Power Sliding Door Lawsuit Filed in Missouri news | 9 days ago
- June 18: Takata and Honda Get Some Airbag Claims Dismissed news | 11 days ago
- June 13: Toyota Loses Appeal in Koua Fong Lee Crash news | 16 days ago
- June 4: Toyota Owned Part of Tesla, But Not Anymore news | 25 days ago
- June 3: BMW, Mazda, Subaru and Toyota Will Settle Takata Lawsuits news | 26 days ago
Engine Seized Up
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 117,698 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 5 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace motor with a used one (2 reports)
- engine had to be rebuilt (1 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)
- solution? remanufactured engine from jasper engines.. (1 reports)