- October 27: Toyota Recalls 5.8 Million Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 1 days ago
- October 22: Toyota Recalls Highlander to Reconnect Brake Fluid Sensor recalls | 6 days ago
- October 19: Lexus Exploding Sunroof Lawsuit Alleges Sunroof Glass is Defective news | 9 days ago
- October 16: California DMV Welcomes Federal Driverless Car Guidelines news | 12 days ago
- October 12: Toyota Recalls Prius Over Rollaway Dangers recalls | 16 days ago
Delays In Shifting, Lurches Foward, Engine Races
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Page 1 of 3)
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 103,793 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 54 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace transmission and computer (17 reports)
- not sure (13 reports)
- replace ecm only! (11 reports)
- replace the computer system (8 reports)
- problem repaired at no cost to me (3 reports)
- recall (2 reports)