2. replace engine (1 reports)
2004 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota RAV4:

2004 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Nov 302013

I've read all the post concerning the engine/coolant leaking/ water pump/ head gasket issue, and I've have the SAME problem. I asked was there any preventive maintenance that could of been done to stop this and the tech at the dealership said, no! This is a design flaw that no one could help but toyota. The car is at the dealership now and will cost $228 to pull it apart and see if the repair kit will work or will I need a new engine. Not happy!!!!!!! Needless to say; I at one point had faith in Toyota as a trust worthy brand not sure about that now. I will update my complaint when I find out the damage.

- , Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Oct 012010

RAV4 ES 3.2L

There is a defect in Toyota engines1!! Any overheating and it pulls bolts up with the aluminum threads causing you to need a whole new engine block. I went in to get the head gasket fixed due to a coolant leak caused by a thermostat that stuck. I did not drive it hot. They told me the bolt pulled up the threads and I need a whole new block for $6,000 plus. I called Toyota and they did not see this as a national complaint problem. I've seen several complaints about this on the internet. Putting steel bolts into aluminum is not a good idea!!!! Also a helo coil or whatever will probably pull out as well. I'm afraid to get another toyota now.

- , Arboles, CO, USA